The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Virgin Media. Pile of ****. That is all.
I'm thinking of getting an SSD and another 5850 for CrossFire; only trouble is that I'd need to find a reference card, and they're hard to find these days.

Here is my baby. c:

Original post by G8D
The company or the hub?

Both, at the moment. Our Internet connection was completely offline for 24 hours until about 5pm this evening, and now the hub has just died and none of my devices can even connect to it at all :confused:
I guess Virgin for Internet next year at uni is out of the question then :/ anyone have any suggestions of what ISP would be best? There'll be 4 students in the house...next choice would've been O2?
O2 are good. I believe O2 and BE broadband are the same thing, and they've both been pretty highly rated; check with some people who already live in the area which is best, though, because it all depends on that.
Reply 9485
Original post by secretmessages
Virgin Media. Pile of ****. That is all.

Windows internet connection sharing is worse....

Stupid lack of Ethernet with an outdated powerline network I can't expand to because my dad's soon replacing it. :mad:
Reply 9486
Original post by someperson
I guess Virgin for Internet next year at uni is out of the question then :/ anyone have any suggestions of what ISP would be best? There'll be 4 students in the house...next choice would've been O2?

In all honesty I'd stick with Virgin media, you're going to have someone who complains about the service with every company, but so far I've never had a problem with Virgin Media. I receive what I pay for (50Mb) and I was told my upload would increase from 1.5Mb to 5Mb in June and it did. Been with them myself for a year and a bit and my parents have had them for about 5-6 years, never had a problem once.
Original post by someperson

Original post by JordanR
O2 are good. I believe O2 and BE broadband are the same thing, and they've both been pretty highly rated; check with some people who already live in the area which is best, though, because it all depends on that.

Yeah, Be is a subsidiary of O2 and you pay a bit more but there aren't the caps that O2 impose.

rant

TL;DR: ubuntu (the OS itself) has aggravated me more in 2 weeks than windows has managed in >10 years. Great going on bug #1 there.
Original post by Chrosson
If ubuntu ever wants to overtake windows it really needs to sort out QA.

I can count on one hand the number of times windows has destructively interrupted me right in the middle of something, and when I've tracked down the source it's never been the OS itself (i.e. what comes on the windows disc).

Ubuntu on the other hand...**** me. I've been using it (as in, actually using it to get things done) for a couple of weeks. In that time Unity has died on me twice - both after the screen saving feature of fading out to black and locking itself. For some incomprehensible reason, this means my programs are as good as toast and restarting the display manager from the terminal kills them all :colonhash:

I estimate it's about 20% chance of a **** up every time it fades out. Time to disable screen saving :sigh:

TL;DR: ubuntu (the OS itself) has aggravated me more in 2 weeks than windows has managed in >10 years. Great going on bug #1 there.

I found your problem. Unity is awful and so buggy.

I had so much trouble with 11.04 that I went back to 10.10 and I refuse to update until they sort it out.
Router is broken again :colonhash:

^ Ubuntu is annoying me recently too, it keeps breaking on me and I'm fed up with the incompatibilities and lack of decent alternative programs.
Reply 9491
I gave up with Ubuntu after 8.10, when they decided ****-brown was a good colour scheme to use. The OS has looked dire ever since - dark colour schemes simply do not work. Until Linux gets a few decent graphic designers and UI designers up their sleeve, and stop cherry-picking stuff from OS X, it's never gonna work.
Reply 9492
Original post by secretmessages
Router is broken again :colonhash:

^ Ubuntu is annoying me recently too, it keeps breaking on me and I'm fed up with the incompatibilities and lack of decent alternative programs.

Wasd using Mint, then went to OpenSUSE, and I intend to install Arch at some point. :biggrin:

I don't care if it doesn't work, it's a tinkering OS, I still use Windows as my main OS for now.
Original post by Tathrim
[...] it's a tinkering OS [...]

This is basically what the entire Ubuntu (and possibly Linux) community needs to realise and sort out.
Original post by Chrosson

rant

One of the 4 or 5 big reasons that made me go back to my windows install

Original post by Wednesday Bass
I found your problem. Unity is awful and so buggy.

I had so much trouble with 11.04 that I went back to 10.10 and I refuse to update until they sort it out.

I wasn't even using unity though. I was using the classic skin as unity refused to work with dual monitors
Reply 9495
My God, lots of new names on here...
Original post by wizard710
I wasn't even using unity though. I was using the classic skin as unity refused to work with dual monitors

Well 11.04 is buggy enough on it's own, let alone with Unity on top. I was on the KDE with 11.04 and it still caused me trouble, going back to 10.10 is the way forward at the moment.
thanks for the replies on the broadband issue:h: most people get virgin in the area apparently, but i've had no problems with O2 in the past so will probably go with them:smile:
Reply 9498
Have a look at this programming language: http://lolcode.com/

Ahahaha lool
Reply 9499
My MacBook arrived. :sexface: