The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

i love transformers!!!
How did I miss these...

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Starting to anticipate snow white and the huntsman, for all her fidgety and 'awkward' mannerisms I still love watching Kristen Stewart on screen

She does suit the role of Snow White. I watched a film and discovered Teresa Palmer, who looks like she could be Kirsten Stewart's identical twin. The likeness in some of the pics is uncanny. Only she can actually smile.

Original post by cambo211
Just saw an advert for 'Exit through the gift shop'.

Channel 4 next saturday at 9 :h:

Possible film club?

You can do it if you like. :tongue:

Original post by Jace Falco
****ing yes. Adore that film. You know the bit right at the beginning, where the guy traps the fly with his gun? That was entirely real, and ad hoc.

Wow, that's pretty badass. Just finished re-watching the Dollars trilogy. :coma:

If you have any recommendations, as you and Christien seem to be the go to men for Westerns, send them my way!
Original post by pinkpenguin
I am so so so tempted to pre order the Star Wars blu ray boxset.

But seeing how the LOTR boxset has dropped in price a little bit so quickly, I'm thinking I should hold off for a little while.

But I really want it. Right now. :redface:

LOTR = amazing :biggrin:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Wow, that's pretty badass. Just finished re-watching the Dollars trilogy. :coma:

If you have any recommendations, as you and Christien seem to be the go to men for Westerns, send them my way!

High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Great Eastwood revenge flicks.
Yeah I thought Super 8 was pretty good. I had avoided most of the trailers and hadn't read any reviews which I'm glad I did. Loved the subtle references to Jurassic Park and some of Speilberg's over films although the ending was just a bit too heavy-handed on the E.T for me.

Got Inception and Dexter (Season 1) to watch later which I'm looking forward to!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Sorry for butting in, but here are a few good Westerns I can think of off the top of my head...

- Rio Bravo (El Dorado is also pretty good, but has a very similar plot)

- The Searchers

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

- True Grit
(edited 12 years ago)
I second The Searchers. One of the only John Wayne films in which John Wayne is tolerable. Jace's suggestions are good. Eastwood-directed Westerns start off well and get progressively better.

Also, the Peckinpah Westerns I've seen are really great; Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, etc.
Reply 3787
Regarding Westerns, I'd like to forward:

Revisionist:
McCabe and Mrs Miller
Little Big Man (like Forrest Gump, but better!)
3:10 to Yuma
Butch Cassidy!
Heaven's Gate (just cos it's film history)
Pale Rider

Spaghetti:
Django
the Giorgio Ferroni movies

Classical:

The Magnificent Seven
The Big Country
Man of the West
The Tin Star (what a cast!)

Modern:

Silverado!
The Quick and the Dead
Unforgiven
3:10 to Yuma remake (actually pretty good!)

Yeah I'm a big fan :colondollar:

And agree the others above are amazing! As for my favourite, High Plains Drifter at the moment...but of all time Good Bad & Ugly.

I love how a filmmaker can be like Woody Allen or Michael Curtiz, and churn out a film a year and become 'prolific', and Leone can make 10 movies in 25 years and have just as much a cultural influence, if not greater!
Ape Gone Insane

Green zone, next on my agenda to watch. Right now, I am streaming up Shutter Island. Looks amazing :yep:
Original post by Jace Falco
High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Great Eastwood revenge flicks.

Original post by Sonny_J_D
Sorry for butting in, but here are a few good Westerns I can think of off the top of my head...

- Rio Bravo (El Dorado is also pretty good, but has a very similar plot)

- The Searchers

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

- True Grit

Original post by Christien
I second The Searchers. One of the only John Wayne films in which John Wayne is tolerable. Jace's suggestions are good. Eastwood-directed Westerns start off well and get progressively better.

Also, the Peckinpah Westerns I've seen are really great; Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, etc.

Original post by tombeale
5 billion Western recommendations

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Going to get a hold of and burn through most of these in the next few days. Although I've probably watched a few already but just forgot the name.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ManBeast

Got Inception and Dexter (Season 1) to watch later which I'm looking forward to!

Well, you're not late to the party at all. :tongue: Dexter is an excellent show.

Original post by boromir9111

Green zone, next on my agenda to watch. Right now, I am streaming up Shutter Island. Looks amazing :yep:

It's really good. Really underrated to be honest given the director, most people forgot it was released last year and it seemed to have slipped a lot of radars. It's also a film which warrants a repeat viewing and has quite a few theories surrounding the plot and ending, I guess you'll see for yourself.
I'll be watching those Westerns as well, love me some gunslinging :awesome:
Finally watched/watching One Flew over the Cuckoos nest :coma:
Saw Super 8 today. Enjoyed it a lot. It had the same kind of well written relationships between the kids as Stand By Me does, which I really liked. The first half was better than the first, but would recommend seeing it.
Original post by thecurators
Saw Super 8 today. Enjoyed it a lot. It had the same kind of well written relationships between the kids as Stand By Me does, which I really liked. The first half was better than the first, but would recommend seeing it.

:five:
Shutter Island, a complete rip off of the movie Memento :sigh: but nonetheless, still very watchable!
Green zone, next on my agenda to watch.

I was lead VFX editor on that film for the effects company! We did over 600 VFX shots, so I pretty much got to work on every scene of the film. Would be interested in hearing what you think of it.
I was lead VFX editor on that film for the effects company! We did over 600 VFX shots, so I pretty much got to work on every scene of the film. Would be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Are you being serious? :eek:
Are you being serious? :eek:

Yes, why wouldn't I be?

This has a few of my credits listed, though it's not complete: http://imdb.com/name/nm1806863/
Yes, why wouldn't I be?

This has a few of my credits listed, though it's not complete: http://imdb.com/name/nm1806863/

wow.....you've done effects for some big movies dude....that's amazing :eek: :yy: you must enjoy what you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending