The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigV
Does anyone know if it makes any difference where you get the needs assessment done? I have to book the appointment and I have the choice between a centre in my city or a centre which is actually situated at the University I am hoping to attend. I could travel to the Uni but I would rather not unless it would make a difference?

No difference. I went to one in Leicester and the uni I'm hoping to go to is near Brighton.
Can anyone tell me what support (through examples) you can get with DSA? Can DSA provide for a support worker/counsellor separate from the university provides, for example?

I'm confused as to exactly what is paid for, and what they will not pay for.
Original post by RedRevolver
Can anyone tell me what support (through examples) you can get with DSA? Can DSA provide for a support worker/counsellor separate from the university provides, for example?

I'm confused as to exactly what is paid for, and what they will not pay for.

They'll pay for an academic support worker (or mentor or notetaker) but not for counselling. It's (usually) the university supplied help but they're paid for out of your DSA. Some people do get help towards external support but it's still academically based. DSA is to support your academic work but not help with your disability if that makes any sense. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by snoogy
They'll pay for an academic support worker (or mentor or notetaker) but not for counselling. It's (usually) the university supplied help but they're paid for out of your DSA. Some people do get help towards external support but it's still academically based. DSA is to support your academic work but not help with your disability if that makes any sense. Hope that helps :smile:

Ah right, okay. Thanks :smile:
Ah right, okay. Thanks :smile:

It's definitely worth doing though. Having someone planning your uni life makes the rest of your life less terrifying. Also the extra bits of equipment is a real help. Good luck :smile:
Original post by snoogy
It's definitely worth doing though. Having someone planning your uni life makes the rest of your life less terrifying. Also the extra bits of equipment is a real help. Good luck :smile:

It's more me being pissed off at my university (and the disabilities co-ordinator at my college), that despite finding everything so stressful and having to see the uni counsellor, not once did they mention I could get DSA for mental illness, of which I think I'd really have benefited from.

Which may have stopped me from failing the year, had I known about it previously to today.
It's more me being pissed off at my university (and the disabilities co-ordinator at my college), that despite finding everything so stressful and having to see the uni counsellor, not once did they mention I could get DSA for mental illness, of which I think I'd really have benefited from.

Which may have stopped me from failing the year, had I known about it previously to today.

I'm in exactly the same situation - I'm registered at the university as having mental health difficulties and requiring support but it was until I asked for help in second year that anything happened and even then it was months before DSA was suggested to me. my equipment and human support came the week before Summer exams... helpful right? I'm repeating the year too. It sucks but now you know DSA is there you can get it into place so that you have a chance to do well next year.
I found out today that I've been approved for DSA and need to book an assessment. Just trying to book now and wondered if all centres require you to fill out a pre-assessment form?(http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/sls/support/disability/dsa/pre-assessment-form.html)

Because Sheffield are the only centre that states on their website that I need to fill one out prior to the appointment but I don't have most of the answers, like how many hours of seminars/lectures/science labs I will be carrying out each week, so shall I make an appointment with Leeds instead or will they ask me to fill one out too?
Reply 128
Original post by Catherine13
I found out today that I've been approved for DSA and need to book an assessment. Just trying to book now and wondered if all centres require you to fill out a pre-assessment form?(http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/sls/support/disability/dsa/pre-assessment-form.html)

Because Sheffield are the only centre that states on their website that I need to fill one out prior to the appointment but I don't have most of the answers, like how many hours of seminars/lectures/science labs I will be carrying out each week, so shall I make an appointment with Leeds instead or will they ask me to fill one out too?

I had to fill in a couple of forms before I went along for my assessment (one was a permission form for them to pass on my details to relevant parties, and the other was providing them with some details about the mental health condition, my currect qualifications, where I would be studying, etc.)

I had to take the form along with me to the actual assessment and hand it over to them, and there were sections that I couldn't fill in (such as which university I would be going to- as I don't have my results yet) and the guy said that that was fine, and he'd fill it out once I got my results and pass on the information.

He also said it was up to the assessors to contact the people running my course to find out how many contact hours etc. I was going to have, so I'd say leave it blank and ask questions when the assessment is taking place! :smile:
How long did it take for them to process your application once you'd sent it? Like how many weeks before a response, the assessment and ordering any equipment?

The reason I'm asking is because I haven't been able to send it off yet as my doctor was very slow in providing a letter (and has now basically just printed my records instead of writing a letter); and my psychiatrist is on leave until the end of August. If I get into my firm or my insurance, I'd be going up around the 10th of September.
Reply 130
Original post by Nut.
I had to fill in a couple of forms before I went along for my assessment (one was a permission form for them to pass on my details to relevant parties, and the other was providing them with some details about the mental health condition, my currect qualifications, where I would be studying, etc.)

What kind of stuff did you put on the form and what was the actual assessment like?

I just put a brief outline of my educational history in relation to my health and then basically outlined what I found difficult and why.

I'm not sure if that is what I was supposed to put or not, but the form questions were pretty vague and I had virtually no time to fill it in as it was sent to me yesterday and the appointment is less than a week away.
Reply 131
Original post by BigV
What kind of stuff did you put on the form and what was the actual assessment like?

I just put a brief outline of my educational history in relation to my health and then basically outlined what I found difficult and why.

I'm not sure if that is what I was supposed to put or not, but the form questions were pretty vague and I had virtually no time to fill it in as it was sent to me yesterday and the appointment is less than a week away.

I just briefly answered the questions they gave me. The interview was where the more in depth questions were asked, so don't worry about leaving stuff out on the form.

My assessor basically started at the beginning and asked me when my MH problems started and how they manifested themselves, when I was diagnosed, how my studies were affected, what treatment I'd been given, and what sort of things might be useful for me that they could provide.

I went into the assessment hoping to be given some sort of support at the uni I'm going to, in the form of a counsellor or some form of other guidance, but the assessment was much more useful than that.

When I mentioned things like my anxiety and my moods sometimes meaning that I don't want to see people or leave my room a lot, I was recommended a printer/scanner thing so that I could do more work in my room, as well as a laptop so that I could work in the middle of the night (when uni suites would be shut) because that's sometimes how my moods go. That was all on top of 20 counselling sessions that I could book as and when I need them throughout the academic year.

The guy was really friendly and thorough. If there are quite a few things that you want to ask about I'd recommend writing a list of things before you go in to make sure that you can't forget anything.

The person you see has to fill in a twenty+ page report, so anything that you don't mention on the form you sent will be asked in the session anyway.

Try not to worry about it- I was nervous when I first went in but I relaxed quickly. :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by ScarletBeads
How long did it take for them to process your application once you'd sent it? Like how many weeks before a response, the assessment and ordering any equipment?

The reason I'm asking is because I haven't been able to send it off yet as my doctor was very slow in providing a letter (and has now basically just printed my records instead of writing a letter); and my psychiatrist is on leave until the end of August. If I get into my firm or my insurance, I'd be going up around the 10th of September.

I arranged my assessment for the end of June, the report was written up within a week, then I had to wait maybe 2 weeks for Student Finance England to approve which supplier they were going to use (because your assessor has to provide three quotes for any equipment you're offered).
Once I had received the go-ahead from SF, I phoned the supplier up and upgraded some of my equipment, then ordered it for delivery, and it should be here within 7-10 days. It would usually be quicker than that but they have to order in something specially.

I'm not sure if they'll process things quicker when it gets towards crunch-time for going to uni though. I imagine they would- they don't want students to be disadvataged, and there are plenty of other people who are only just applying too.

You could always phone up the Direct.gov DSA number if you have any specific questions (because I'm unlikely to be able to answer them :tongue:)
Good luck!
Now that I know i'm in uni, I should probably order my equipment.

I feel so silly for asking this, but i hate phones, so, is it an automated service or do I actually have to talk to a person?

And do I have to choose a delivery date when I order, on average how long does it take from order to delivery? Less than a month now before I have to move.
Reply 134
Original post by lozzyhickers

I feel so silly for asking this, but i hate phones, so, is it an automated service or do I actually have to talk to a person?

And do I have to choose a delivery date when I order, on average how long does it take from order to delivery? Less than a month now before I have to move.

Well, I was with Remtek, and it was a person, but they were really nice. It took 2 weeks from me phoning until I got it, but I suppose it depends on the company and what you are getting. They were really helpful with dates though :smile:
Original post by paper-wings
Well, I was with Remtek, and it was a person, but they were really nice. It took 2 weeks from me phoning until I got it, but I suppose it depends on the company and what you are getting. They were really helpful with dates though :smile:

Thank you :smile: I guess i'll just have to grit my teeth and bear it!

I did it all through email. I sent an email saying my anxiety was awful and asked if it'd be possible to book an appointment through email and it was all completely fine. I didn't have to pick the phone up once throughout the entire DSA process :smile:
Original post by snoogy
I did it all through email. I sent an email saying my anxiety was awful and asked if it'd be possible to book an appointment through email and it was all completely fine. I didn't have to pick the phone up once throughout the entire DSA process :smile:

I would have done that but there wasn't an email address for my provider :frown:

But I gave them a ring, only to be told that they'll get back to me within two days. Rubbish. UNTIL, about 2 hours later, they rang me and we organised it all. It will be arriving on Friday morning. I'm quite nervous though :s-smilie:
I would have done that but there wasn't an email address for my provider :frown:

But I gave them a ring, only to be told that they'll get back to me within two days. Rubbish. UNTIL, about 2 hours later, they rang me and we organised it all. It will be arriving on Friday morning. I'm quite nervous though :s-smilie:

Yay for calling them! That's great news. Will somebody be home when the equipment comes? I was alone and it was the most awkward hour ever. We just kinda sat in silence and I didn't know what to do with myself. So embarrassing :colondollar:

It's worth it though! You'll have all of your equipment before uni starts at least.
Original post by snoogy
Yay for calling them! That's great news. Will somebody be home when the equipment comes? I was alone and it was the most awkward hour ever. We just kinda sat in silence and I didn't know what to do with myself. So embarrassing :colondollar:

It's worth it though! You'll have all of your equipment before uni starts at least.

It's usually just me at that time, so I think i'll invite my boyfriend over to make it a bit les awkward. I never know what to say in situations like that!

Latest