The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magicalyoghurt
Tell me about it. Our school didn't prepare us at all for what to do I had to google everything! I heard too that last year they phoned up those that had 3A's the night before results day and told them to come in the next day (photo op...) but didn't say why so people were worrying they had to repeat the year or something!! Typical :L

Haha, the schools around here are really competitive so they phone up all the A/A* students and make sure that they come in when the press photographer is going to be there lol.

So Paniced now, its really close
:eek:
Reply 2221
Original post by emma1701
I have no idea which exams boards put them online and which ones don't. I'm on CCEA, but depending on which board you are they might not even be online. Check your exam boards website because it should say whether or not they put them up... If not you can always check UCAS track, it might be up before 9 :smile:

Our school has a moodle that maybe able to tell us all the results at 9:30 online but I always have trouble logging on.
Mine is Aqa Wjec. Do u think they do?
Reply 2222
I don't understand why they have to spend nearly two months sorting our results out. And even so, we still have to wait until next year to get our certificates. Why?
Original post by Amy Luo
Our school has a moodle that maybe able to tell us all the results at 9:30 online but I always have trouble logging on.
Mine is Aqa Wjec. Do u think they do?

I know that AQA do not put results online. Not sure about WJEC. I know that CCEA and Edexcel put theirs online though!
Original post by kpatb
Depending on how results go on next Thursday, either A) ECSTATIC :biggrin:; OR
B) Slightly Suicidal with the only consoling factor being that if I do end up going to Manchester, at least I'll be saving a few thousand pounds a year...

(PLEASE LET IT NOT BE OPTION B, GOD! PLEAAAASE.)

Why will you be saving money if you go to Manchester instead of Cambridge?

College rooms are not that expensive and the Cambridge Bursary Scheme is very generous if you are eligible, i.e. if you get any SF grant. Many colleges give out cash for books, rowing camps etc.
Original post by tiny hobbit

College rooms are not that expensive and the Cambridge Bursary Scheme is very generous if you are eligible, i.e. if you get any SF grant. Many colleges give out cash for books, rowing camps etc.

I think they are international so the fees are probably less at Manchester.

She is an international student :tongue:. The university composition fee + college fee is higher than the tuition fees at most other UK universities.
Reply 2227
Your UCAS will likely update with either Unconditional or Unsuccessful before you manage to get into school for results, so don't panic about finding out later than everyone else :smile:
Reply 2228
Original post by Zoedotdot
Your UCAS will likely update with either Unconditional or Unsuccessful before you manage to get into school for results, so don't panic about finding out later than everyone else :smile:

Thanks for reminding us that we might get "Unsuccessful". :colone:
Original post by Hermione17
She is an international student :tongue:. The university composition fee + college fee is higher than the tuition fees at most other UK universities.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 2230
Original post by jsadapa1
Thanks for reminding us that we might get "Unsuccessful". :colone:

Cambridge has taught me to be thorough in exploring all avenues of thought :yep:

(I'm sure you'll all be fine!)
Reply 2231

Unfortunately, the below quoted are correct. I am for fee purposes classified as international. -sigh-

Original post by Got the tshirt
I think they are international so the fees are probably less at Manchester.

Original post by Hermione17

Well compared to places such as Imperial (actually, it might just be Imperial) Cambridge is about the same in fees and cheaper living costs.

So every time I get depressed about how expensive the course is, I think HEY if I didn't get into Cambridge, I would be going to Imperial and spending a LOT more money a year on living expenses... and plus. Cambridge is Cambridge :biggrin: Imperial can't compare, no matter WHAT they say.
(Any pro-Imperial people please don't kill meh D: )

That brought to mind a picture my mum intends to blackmail me with in the future. Last year 'father christmas' bought me, my older sister and my little sister (2 at the time) matching grey thermal hello kitty leggings and vests and then my little brother photographed us wearing them for a laugh.

HAHAHAA, that's brilliant :biggrin: (delayed response, sorry!)

Original post by Tortious
No worries - I'm sure you'll be having far too much fun in Cambridge to notice, especially if Christ's has bops as cool as ours (on that point, bring fancy dress stuff!). :awesome:
Feel free to ask if you've got more general questions about Cambridge clubs/socs etc., or if there's anything Christ's-specific, I know a friendly third year, gethsemane342. If you quote her, I'm sure she'd be happy to help. :p:

Fancy dress... oo thanks for reminding me! Actually your the third person who's told me to bring Fancy dress... Cantabs must be quite big on their fancy dress thing xD

I've already been harassing gethsemane342 occassionally, and she always replies on Christ's forums on TSR. At the moment, I'm all good :smile:

I'm getting so excited now :biggrin: (even though I haven't got results and technically might not be going. But I'm NOT going to be thinking about that.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
Fancy dress... oo thanks for reminding me! Actually your the third person who's told me to bring Fancy dress... Cantabs must be quite big on their fancy dress thing xD

Yeah, we're that immature we work hard and play harder. :ninja:

I'm getting so excited now :biggrin: (even though I haven't got results and technically might not be going. But I'm NOT going to be thinking about that.)

That's right - think about this instead. :biggrin:

(You're all welcome to come to the meet!)
Reply 2233
Original post by ScotlandLiv
I am in the same position as you, Cambridge 1st, Manchester 2nd. If it all goes wrong I don't know if I will want to go to Manchester though.
Mind is just set on Cambridge and going somewhere else would completely mess with my head, knowing I had the chance to go and messed it up.

I feel EXACTLY the same, it's not just you!

- A little Story -
The first time I visited Cambridge was for my interview in November. (as I'm an international student I hadn't been to any of the universities I had applied to except for the London ones when I visited London in the past)

When I was at Cambridge, I was blown over by the beauty, the history and the sheer awesomeness of the fudge available to buy. :biggrin:

I went to visit Manchester Uni Straight from Cambridge after my interview and I was given a tour around the University by some of the current students.

As lovely as the course sounds in Manchester, I just couldn't help but feel that my experience in Manchester was... anticlimatic. After being somewhere as inspiring as Cambridge, Manchester just seemed a little normal.

It wasn't AS beautiful as Cambridge (although Manchester is nice, and if you like city life, I guess it's a nice place to be) and it just didn't feel as challenging academically. (I sound like an academic snob now, don't I?:rolleyes: - Sorry!)

- End of little Story -

Also like you said, I'm so mentally prepared to go to Cambridge that I don't think I'd ever forgive myself for not meeting my offer.:s-smilie:

- Note: No offence intended to anyone at Manchester, it's just that it wasn't for me that's all :smile: It's a lovely place though and their Chem Eng course is well regarded!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kpatb

I've already been harassing gethsemane342 occassionally, and she always replies on Christ's forums on TSR. At the moment, I'm all good :smile:

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of our bops ... but I'm also completely teetotal which may well have something to do with it. That and I have *terrible* luck with them (if you ever have concussion DO NOT GO TO THE BOP. Drunk people may grab your head and this will lead to 13 hours of dizziness and retching. And people threatening to do all sorts of horrible things to the head-grabber). But we have bops twice a term so don't worry too much about fancy dress if you don't want to :wink: (My method, for when I actually bothered, was to make something up within 10 minutes)
Reply 2235

Yes, yes I was just getting to replying to that!

Friends: "So kpatb, what have you been up to at Cambridge?"
Me: "DRESSING UP :biggrin:"
Friends: ":lolwut:"
hahaha :smile:

Original post by gethsemane342
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of our bops ... but I'm also completely teetotal which may well have something to do with it. That and I have *terrible* luck with them (if you ever have concussion DO NOT GO TO THE BOP. Drunk people may grab your head and this will lead to 13 hours of dizziness and retching. And people threatening to do all sorts of horrible things to the head-grabber). But we have bops twice a term so don't worry too much about fancy dress if you don't want to :wink: (My method, for when I actually bothered, was to make something up within 10 minutes)

I will most definitely keep that in mind :P
is it normal/do you ever go to other college bops?

How cheesy is the music?

My grandparents thought the engagement ball and wedding ball were a bit strange when my sister tried explaining them.

My sister spent ages trying to get a 'wedding' dress and they thought she was a bit old for that sort of thing. It was quite funny their attitude.
My grandparents thought the engagement ball and wedding ball were a bit strange when my sister tried explaining them.

My sister spent ages trying to get a 'wedding' dress and they thought she was a bit old for that sort of thing. It was quite funny their attitude.

For some reason, Pembroke has families but not marriages (some people took it upon themselves to get hitched though). In a way, I wish we did - I know King's has a marriage formal!

You're a Pembrokian, aren't you? (I'm sure I've asked you this. :o:)
For some reason, Pembroke has families but not marriages (some people took it upon themselves to get hitched though). In a way, I wish we did - I know King's has a marriage formal!

You're a Pembrokian, aren't you? (I'm sure I've asked you this. :o:)

Hopefully :smile:
Original post by kpatb
I will most definitely keep that in mind :P
is it normal/do you ever go to other college bops?

How cheesy is the music?

I don't tend to go to other college bops. I know Clare and another college do bi-weekly ones which are open to everyone but I'm not sure about other colleges. I do know most colleges have more than us and, unlike us, don't charge for entry (this being said, my friends and I have discovered a way to sneak into Christ's bops. It's probably a good thing we're the only people to have worked it out because we never want to go :tongue:)

Christ's doesn't do marriage formals unless groups choose it. But couples often do stuff on Valentine's day. And we do the whole "down on one knee" thing :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending