The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gethsemane342
Christ's doesn't do marriage formals unless groups choose it. But couples often do stuff on Valentine's day. And we do the whole "down on one knee" thing :biggrin:

Are you married?

I'm not. :sad: My friend asked me to be in his family, but he's married to a girl on his staircase. I'm not complaining about being single though, especially with the influx of new children. :colone: </genetic sexual attraction> :p:

(On a side note, is there such a stigma attached to "incest" at Christ's? For some reason, I've never heard it mentioned without it being accompanied by: :rolleyes:)
Original post by Tortious
Are you married?

I'm not. :sad: My friend asked me to be in his family, but he's married to a girl on his staircase. I'm not complaining about being single though, especially with the influx of new children. :colone: </genetic sexual attraction> :p:

(On a side note, is there such a stigma attached to "incest" at Christ's? For some reason, I've never heard it mentioned without it being accompanied by: :rolleyes:)

You can have threesome marriages? :lolwut:

There's no stigma to incest - you can marry whoever you want and there's a lot of joking about it. I'm technically married to my nephew. I haven't spoken to my husband since January though - we got married in the first term of first year but we drifted apart after that. Figured we'd stick at the marriage though and wrote a *very* disturbing letter to our kids which had to be edited. My college daughter later told me she was really relieved I was nowhere near as scary as I sounded in the letter :tongue:
You can have threesome marriages? :lolwut:

There's no stigma to incest - you can marry whoever you want and there's a lot of joking about it. I'm technically married to my nephew. I haven't spoken to my husband since January though - we got married in the first term of first year but we drifted apart after that. Figured we'd stick at the marriage though and wrote a *very* disturbing letter to our kids which had to be edited. My college daughter later told me she was really relieved I was nowhere near as scary as I sounded in the letter :tongue:

That's the thing - I'm not married to him. I'm...I dunno. In terms of incest, I meant if a parent and child start dating for real though (so by the use of a legal fiction, namely that they're related, the relationship is incestuous).

What on earth was the content of the letter? :rofl: I've yet to receive the names of our Law freshers (who I'll probably search on Facebook :ninja:) but I bought some College postcards before I left so I had some nice stuff to send to them. :biggrin:

EDIT: Post 1,111. :jive:
That's the thing - I'm not married to him. I'm...I dunno. In terms of incest, I meant if a parent and child start dating for real though (so by the use of a legal fiction, namely that they're related, the relationship is incestuous).

What on earth was the content of the letter? :rofl: I've yet to receive the names of our Law freshers (who I'll probably search on Facebook :ninja:) but I bought some College postcards before I left so I had some nice stuff to send to them. :biggrin:

EDIT: Post 1,111. :jive:

Oh. Er ... I think for the first few weeks it would be weird because we are meant to watch out for our kids. As the year goes on it'd probably be OK. Most people don't know who everyone else's kids are anyway.

Ah, well, it was mainly my husband writing what he wanted and me toning it down (often with cries of "You can't put that, that's racist/discriminatory/too rude"). It included "A (my husband) has been called a tramp and a skater but I live in a house and I can't balance. My hobbies are playing badminton, beating Geth at badminton and beating Geth", "All rowers are ****s" "I'm from Wales but the rumours aren't true" "I like to help A find inner peace", "Everyone has their place in Christ's from the loveable shut-in to the college manwhore. And if you have no friends, don't worry, we'll love you unconditionally"

The first thing we did when we met them was apologise for the letter... :redface:
Reply 2244
"Everyone has their place in Christ's from the loveable shut-in to the college manwhore. And if you have no friends, don't worry, we'll love you unconditionally"

:laugh:
hahaha, now I really want to see who my parents are and get my letter xD

(and must make sure mum doesn't see this letter either...)
Oh. Er ... I think for the first few weeks it would be weird because we are meant to watch out for our kids. As the year goes on it'd probably be OK. Most people don't know who everyone else's kids are anyway.

Ah, well, it was mainly my husband writing what he wanted and me toning it down (often with cries of "You can't put that, that's racist/discriminatory/too rude"). It included "A (my husband) has been called a tramp and a skater but I live in a house and I can't balance. My hobbies are playing badminton, beating Geth at badminton and beating Geth", "All rowers are ****s" "I'm from Wales but the rumours aren't true" "I like to help A find inner peace", "Everyone has their place in Christ's from the loveable shut-in to the college manwhore. And if you have no friends, don't worry, we'll love you unconditionally"

The first thing we did when we met them was apologise for the letter... :redface:

You just made my (heavily-edited) signature! :party:
Original post by kpatb
:laugh:
hahaha, now I really want to see who my parents are and get my letter xD

(and must make sure mum doesn't see this letter either...)

Ha ha, most people do normal ones. I only know of one other couple who were worse than us (they wrote 2 versions, a fake and a real. The 1st year rep showed it to us when we gave her ours. The real one was only marginally better than the fake one as it didn't include a version of how the children were conceived). Most will just say who the parents are, what their role is and what life in Christ's is like :smile:

(If your father is a medic with the initials RH, you'd be my granddaughter. I don't think my other son or daughter got married)

You just made my (heavily-edited) signature! :party:

I am honoured :cool:
How many people got a letter a couple of months ago from their college saying that if you miss your grades by a few UMS they might still consider you?

Also to any current Cambridge students, how likely is it if you miss your grades by one or two UMS that they will accept you anyway?

Arghhh so prepared to go but so unsure on whether I got the grades required!
Original post by anoushka1
How many people got a letter a couple of months ago from their college saying that if you miss your grades by a few UMS they might still consider you?

Also to any current Cambridge students, how likely is it if you miss your grades by one or two UMS that they will accept you anyway?

I think almost every offer holder got a letter like that, but hey, let's not think about missing UMS points...it's all about positivity...!(so I'm told)

Well I say that, but I totally get the way you're feeling, I'm probably worse...
Original post by kpatb
Thermals = The Sexy underwear of cold countries. :P

On a more serious note, my friend is at St John's and a year older (who used to also live here), he said that Cambridge is actually one of the drier parts of England and it's only a few months of the year during TERM time that it's very cold.

So I'm not too worried.
I think.

Just out of interest, who is your St. John's friend? I might know them! :biggrin:
Original post by Bumbl
I got negged too - don't take it too serious... :wink:

It seems a bit dead at the moment - but that might change once A-level results are out (they are not released yet, are they?).

don't worry the freshers group was reasonably dead for my year too - I was one of the most talkative people on there trying to get to know people. Most just seem not to be that bothered until they get there! :smile:
Original post by 03jenniferp
don't worry the freshers group was reasonably dead for my year too - I was one of the most talkative people on there trying to get to know people. Most just seem not to be that bothered until they get there! :smile:

No Jenni, you're just superkeen :tongue:
Original post by nadz123456
I think almost every offer holder got a letter like that, but hey, let's not think about missing UMS points...it's all about positivity...!(so I'm told)

Well I say that, but I totally get the way you're feeling, I'm probably worse...

yeah thats what I was thinking because it did not seem college specific

Thank you but with just 5 days to go, all the doubts are kicking in...............I swear this waiting is a form of mental torture haha

Good luck for the 18th !

Generally, if you miss your offer, you're unlikely to get in (if you're a math student, you'll probably end up in the Summer Pool though). However, this doesn't mean it's impossible. It'll depend on a variety of factors. Some candidates will have been given one offer (say A*AA) but, due to some circumstances, may actually have "Accept with AAA" on their folder. Equally, someone may have declined their offer or others may not have made the offer either. In those cases, they may accept you regardless or choose you over the other person (I know someone who this happened to - apparently both of them got AABB and not AAAB and the admissions people chose my friend over the other person)
Original post by 03jenniferp

I don't think many people want to chance fate by joining a freshers group unless they have an unconditional offer. I know I don't :frown:

Just happened to be randomly searching something and came across a thread about someone who got A*A*A*A and had an offer of A*AA (with A* in FM) and was rejected from Downing for Engineering because he was 1UMS mark off A* in FM.

(I have the same offer for Pembroke :frown:)

My sister who's at Downing thinks he got in after a remark but what a thread to come across now)
Original post by Got the tshirt
I don't think many people want to chance fate by joining a freshers group unless they have an unconditional offer. I know I don't :frown:

That is exactly why I have not posted on there or said im going to freshers on facebook lol
Just happened to be randomly searching something and came across a thread about someone who got A*A*A*A and had an offer of A*AA (with A* in FM) and was rejected from Downing for Engineering because he was 1UMS mark off A* in FM.

My sister who's at Downing thinks he got in after a remark but what a thread to come across now)

Oh my that is so unfair, that is a bit ridiculous just one UMS and he got those amazing grades

There is nothing we can do now, we just have to wait!! Good luck for the 18th, I'm sure you will be fine! :smile:
Generally, if you miss your offer, you're unlikely to get in (if you're a math student, you'll probably end up in the Summer Pool though). However, this doesn't mean it's impossible. It'll depend on a variety of factors. Some candidates will have been given one offer (say A*AA) but, due to some circumstances, may actually have "Accept with AAA" on their folder. Equally, someone may have declined their offer or others may not have made the offer either. In those cases, they may accept you regardless or choose you over the other person (I know someone who this happened to - apparently both of them got AABB and not AAAB and the admissions people chose my friend over the other person)

Thank you, I applied for Law so probably quite unlikely that I will be in the summer pool. Urghhh only 5 days to go but it seems like eternity........just have to start thinking about back up plans if things do not turn out as planned :s-smilie:

Thats probably just a rumour/execptional circumstance. I was told (from the college) that if i miss my offer, i have to fax the UMS scores, which suggests that some tutors will be inclined to let you in if your a few marks off the A*...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending