The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Original post by ThatOtherGuy

Original post by ThatOtherGuy
Hey, guys! I was an offer holder until about a week ago, when I got my exam results... Now I'm just a plain old boring Oxford Student :biggrin:

So, anyone else going to Lincoln?

Yes!! Me!!! i'm hopefully going for English, you?
Reply 2441
Original post by zigzog7
where is everyone coming from out of interest?

I'm coming from Ireland :smile:. Strangely, I spend an awful lot of time in Lancashire!

Original post by shinobi93
I've learnt to say "about an hour or so north of London" just because it's easier :biggrin: Northamptonshire has almost nothing to make anyone have heard of it.

Matt Smith is from Northamptonshire! That is the only thing I know about it, though... Well, that and my Geography teacher told us it was the end of the South and the beginning of the Midlands.
Reply 2442
Original post by Elrobi
I'm coming from Ireland :smile:. Strangely, I spend an awful lot of time in Lancashire!

Your from Belfast? I'm in Bangor :smile:
Original post by Elrobi

Matt Smith is from Northamptonshire! That is the only thing I know about it, though... Well, that and my Geography teacher told us it was the end of the South and the beginning of the Midlands.

which bit of lancashire you go to?
Reply 2444
Original post by zigzog7
which bit of lancashire you go to?

I usually spend a bit of time in Preston but stay with my relatives in a wee hamlet close to a village called Gosenargh or Gusnargh or something (Can't remember!). I've been to Lancaster and some villages in the north of the county :smile:
Reply 2445
Original post by Rachel*
Your from Belfast? I'm in Bangor :smile:

My mum's from Bangor! She's currently trying to convince my dad to move to Bangor... he's not having it, haha. Are you a Glenlola girl or did you escape to Sullivan/Friends? What are you going to be studying/which college?
Original post by Elrobi
I usually spend a bit of time in Preston but stay with my relatives in a wee hamlet close to a village called Gosenargh or Gusnargh or something (Can't remember!). I've been to Lancaster and some villages in the north of the county :smile:

Yeh i know where goosnargh is, whats the hamlet called?
Reply 2447
Original post by Elrobi
My mum's from Bangor! She's currently trying to convince my dad to move to Bangor... he's not having it, haha. Are you a Glenlola girl or did you escape to Sullivan/Friends? What are you going to be studying/which college?

Haha. Yep I'm a Glenlola girl! What about you? Hopefully will be at Somerville studying chemistry :smile: Yourself?
Original post by Elrobi
I'm coming from Ireland :smile:.

lessthan0

I don't know if you'll need it, but the above person can potentially offer some advice on the Norn Iron - Oxford transition. I'm sure he won't mind me bringing him to your attention :tongue:
Reply 2449
Original post by Rachel*
Haha. Yep I'm a Glenlola girl! What about you? Hopefully will be at Somerville studying chemistry :smile: Yourself?

Haha, my mum was a Glenlola girl too! She never really got over me going to an all girl's school as well - I'm a Bloomfield Collegiate girl. History at Univ :smile: Best of luck with results! Are you on CCEA? The Chemistry paper last year was awful - it made me glad I'd failed my AS level, haha!

Original post by zigzog7
Yeh i know where goosnargh is, whats the hamlet called?

I'm pretty sure it's Cumeragh :smile:
Original post by Elrobi
Haha, my mum was a Glenlola girl too! She never really got over me going to an all girl's school as well - I'm a Bloomfield Collegiate girl. History at Univ :smile: Best of luck with results! Are you on CCEA? The Chemistry paper last year was awful - it made me glad I'd failed my AS level, haha!

I'm pretty sure it's Cumeragh :smile:

Dont know it, my aunt lives in Longridge though.
Reply 2451
Original post by Incarnadine91
I don't know if you'll need it, but the above person can potentially offer some advice on the Norn Iron - Oxford transition. I'm sure he won't mind me bringing him to your attention :tongue:

Haha, thank you very much! Congratulations on remembering Norn Iron, the true name for our fair province :tongue:. You've practically earned a free piece of toast. I probably will need help transitioning... but these riots have made me think that England might feel a bit more like home :wink:. Btw, I notice you're a historian - would you mind if I annoyed you with a few naive questions?
Reply 2452
Original post by Elrobi

Haha, small world! Know anyone else from NI heading to Oxford? Good luck to you! I'm getting very nervous! Yep I'm ccea, are you getting results online? This years one was worse I thought!
Original post by Elrobi
Haha, thank you very much! Congratulations on remembering Norn Iron, the true name for our fair province :tongue:. You've practically earned a free piece of toast. I probably will need help transitioning... but these riots have made me think that England might feel a bit more like home :wink:. Btw, I notice you're a historian - would you mind if I annoyed you with a few naive questions?

Haha, I can't really forget it, lessthan0 has drilled me thouroughly in various bits of slang for the last year... Here's a tip, don't go round telling people they're "melters" without telling them what it means, they'll be quite cross (understatement) when they find out. Yes, we've been living quite the Belfast life recently (I jest, of course). :wink:

And of course! That's what I'm here for. So you're a historian too? Which college? There seems to be a veritable crop of us at the moment, it's very exciting!!!

Original post by Rachel*
Haha, small world! Know anyone else from NI heading to Oxford? Good luck to you! I'm getting very nervous! Yep I'm ccea, are you getting results online? This years one was worse I thought!

If lessthan0 turns up in this thread he might be able to help you, too - he's a Belfast boy :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2454
I'm from Liverpool - any other scousers out there? Glad to see lots of northeners around! :smile:
Reply 2455
Haha, I can't really forget it, lessthan0 has drilled me thouroughly in various bits of slang for the last year... Here's a tip, don't go round telling people they're "melters" without telling them what it means, they'll be quite cross (understatement) when they find out. Yes, we've been living quite the Belfast life recently (I jest, of course). :wink:

And of course! That's what I'm here for. So you're a historian too? Which college? There seems to be a veritable crop of us at the moment, it's very exciting!!!

Why, what did they think melter meant?! It's quite obviously the name for somebody who melts yer head! I have friends at uni in England who are driven mad by their friends not understanding our beautiful and noble dialect (or our angry accent and funny sland) :wink: I don't think I can live without "'Bout ye!", "Eejit" or beginning every sentence with "Aye", "Och" or "Sure". I'm barely even the most stereotypical person I know :s-smilie:

I am indeed a historian - Univ College :smile:. There are two of us from Univ hanging about TSR atm. Just wondering whether your first tutorial was heavily based on your introductory reading list or not? Frankly, I'm mildly baffled by my reading list, atm - I sort of understand it but I'm really only understanding the big themes of the topics but not the little arguments of the authors :smile:. I think I might understand the arguments of other authors but only because I have a bit of a grounding in the subject matter. Sorry, that's a very garbled question!

Original post by Rachel*

No, I know one person going to Cambridge, though! I do have a friend from here who goes to Oxford already but she's going to be in Germany this year. Do you know any going over? I met a bloke from NI who was going on a bus back from a trip there - he's spent five years in England though. Are there any other offer holders in your school?

I actually decided to apply to university after getting my A level results so I have an unconditional - I was going to check my results online but I lost the envelope with the password in it, hunted for it for half an hour, then gave up and went into school to get them :rolleyes:. Eugh, I HATED CCEA Chemistry, worst exams of my life. I got 30 percent in my AS level which was a miracle in my opinion. You'll be grand, though, you obviously understand it much more than me!
Original post by Elrobi
Why, what did they think melter meant?! It's quite obviously the name for somebody who melts yer head! I have friends at uni in England who are driven mad by their friends not understanding our beautiful and noble dialect (or our angry accent and funny sland) :wink: I don't think I can live without "'Bout ye!", "Eejit" or beginning every sentence with "Aye", "Och" or "Sure". I'm barely even the most stereotypical person I know :s-smilie:

I am indeed a historian - Univ College :smile:. There are two of us from Univ hanging about TSR atm. Just wondering whether your first tutorial was heavily based on your introductory reading list or not? Frankly, I'm mildly baffled by my reading list, atm - I sort of understand it but I'm really only understanding the big themes of the topics but not the little arguments of the authors :smile:. I think I might understand the arguments of other authors but only because I have a bit of a grounding in the subject matter. Sorry, that's a very garbled question!

I thought it meant something bad from the way he he said it, but still, veiled insults like that are just not cricket. Or hurling. Or whatever. :rolleyes: You will most probably get teased about your accent, but don't worry, it's all in good fun (plus I'm pretty sure you can give as good as you get).

No, no, I understand perfectly :smile: To be honest my first tute wasn't based on the summer reading at all - I feverishly stockpiled books and tried to grapple with the concepts in them, only to be given an entirely different set for my first essay! I think the reading list is only ever meant to give you an outline of what's happening, the basic timeline/arguments, rather than a detailed understanding of the topic - that's what tutes are for! So don't bother looking into it too thouroughly, it's only really useful for that and for revision. I didn't read any books from my Hilary reading list at all and got on just fine :tongue:

You'll be given much more specific books - and lots of them! - for your essays, but remember that you never have to read all of them. I think in my first tutes I was given a list of 20-40 books, of which I read 10 and got the main points of my argument from less than 5. And to be honest 10 is a lot, most tutors will request 5-6 books read per essay. Oh, and take notes in your tutes! I didn't know you had to and cursed my idiocy come exams :s-smilie:

Any other questions, I'm glad to help :smile:
Reply 2457
Original post by Elrobi

No, I know one person going to Cambridge, though! I do have a friend from here who goes to Oxford already but she's going to be in Germany this year. Do you know any going over? I met a bloke from NI who was going on a bus back from a trip there - he's spent five years in England though. Are there any other offer holders in your school?

I actually decided to apply to university after getting my A level results so I have an unconditional - I was going to check my results online but I lost the envelope with the password in it, hunted for it for half an hour, then gave up and went into school to get them :rolleyes:. Eugh, I HATED CCEA Chemistry, worst exams of my life. I got 30 percent in my AS level which was a miracle in my opinion. You'll be grand, though, you obviously understand it much more than me!

There's only one other girl in my school going to Oxford, for law I think. And I don't know of anyone else. Oh lucky you! I have to keep checking to make sure I haven't lost the pin. I don't think I can face driving into school without knowing them, online results opens at 7am I think. Yeah they can be pretty awful sometimes! That's the one I'm most worried about!
Reply 2458
I thought it meant something bad from the way he he said it, but still, veiled insults like that are just not cricket. Or hurling. Or whatever. :rolleyes: You will most probably get teased about your accent, but don't worry, it's all in good fun (plus I'm pretty sure you can give as good as you get).

No, no, I understand perfectly :smile: To be honest my first tute wasn't based on the summer reading at all - I feverishly stockpiled books and tried to grapple with the concepts in them, only to be given an entirely different set for my first essay! I think the reading list is only ever meant to give you an outline of what's happening, the basic timeline/arguments, rather than a detailed understanding of the topic - that's what tutes are for! So don't bother looking into it too thouroughly, it's only really useful for that and for revision. I didn't read any books from my Hilary reading list at all and got on just fine :tongue:

You'll be given much more specific books - and lots of them! - for your essays, but remember that you never have to read all of them. I think in my first tutes I was given a list of 20-40 books, of which I read 10 and got the main points of my argument from less than 5. And to be honest 10 is a lot, most tutors will request 5-6 books read per essay. Oh, and take notes in your tutes! I didn't know you had to and cursed my idiocy come exams :s-smilie:

Any other questions, I'm glad to help :smile:

Thanks so much, that's a relief! I've been panicking about Medieval stuff because this is the first time I've ever done it so I'm just trying to get a basic idea as best as I can! I'll deffo take notes in my tutes :smile:.

Ehm, I have many that I can't remember right now... (you may regret offering to answer these, btw :tongue:) I can think of one, extremely stupid, questions...

1. An acquaintance of mine did History and basically told me, point blank, not to bother with lectures. Obviously this varies from module to module and I'm not planning on doing so (initially at least :wink:), but he said that I shouldn't go to lectures at all. I was just wondering if I could have your take on this?

Yeah, I went over to visit a friend and had a good taster of the accent teasing :tongue:... I expect I'll get used to it.

Original post by Rachel*
There's only one other girl in my school going to Oxford, for law I think. And I don't know of anyone else. Oh lucky you! I have to keep checking to make sure I haven't lost the pin. I don't think I can face driving into school without knowing them, online results opens at 7am I think. Yeah they can be pretty awful sometimes! That's the one I'm most worried about!

Ah, I'm the only one in either my year or the current A2 year going to Oxford. It does take the stress off, tbh. I remember I woke up an results day at 7.05am because my phone was ringing... one of mates had rung me to say she'd got A*AA. I was like, "Oh good for you!" through clenched teeth because I hadn't got my results yet! Don't worry, everyone's always convinced that their A levels will be bad... I'm sure you'll be grand! Make sure you go in and pick up your paper results at some stage, if your school is anything like mine... I had to wait until about February before they released our certificates so I had to carry arouind my printed out results for job interviews and stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Elrobi
Thanks so much, that's a relief! I've been panicking about Medieval stuff because this is the first time I've ever done it so I'm just trying to get a basic idea as best as I can! I'll deffo take notes in my tutes :smile:.

Ehm, I have many that I can't remember right now... (you may regret offering to answer these, btw :tongue:) I can think of one, extremely stupid, questions...

1. An acquaintance of mine did History and basically told me, point blank, not to bother with lectures. Obviously this varies from module to module and I'm not planning on doing so (initially at least :wink:), but he said that I shouldn't go to lectures at all. I was just wondering if I could have your take on this?

Yeah, I went over to visit a friend and had a good taster of the accent teasing :tongue:... I expect I'll get used to it.

Ah, yes, I was exactly the same - I picked the Medeival module because it was the furthest removed from what I'd done at A-level, plus it got the compulsory aspect out of the way, and it really was being plunged into the deep end. So you're doing Brit II (1042-1330)? I did that :smile: What other modules are you looking at doing?

Unfortunately, history gets seen by many as a doss subject. And in a way, that's true - it's possible to not go to lectures, write all your essays the night before, and scrape through with a 2:2 or even a very low 2:1. However, that said, if you want to have an enjoyable time at Oxford then do NOT do that!!! In a way it's harder than the sciences, where you have to go to every lecture and mustwork most hours of the day, because the amount of work you do is up to you. You need to have responsibility. It's your choice whether you have a few days off at the start of the week, then panic and rush out something at the end, or if you get your essay done first and then can relax for 24 hours before your tute. I choose the latter, it's a much nicer experience - even if it does require getting into the library at 9 for 6 days a week, having the last day without any stress whatsoever is the sweetest feeling imaginable!!! Plus of course, your grades are better at the end :cool:

To answer your question in a more specific, less rant-ish way: you don't need to go to every lecture. If it's on something you're plainly not going to write anything about ever (and it's not being given by your tutor - they notice if you're missing...) then it's fairly safe to skip it. If it's more important than that but you have, say, a hospital appointment, you can get someone else doing that module to grab the notes for you and it won't make too much of a difference. BUT you'd be surprised what you need to have notes on come revision time, and lectures can give you some quality background information/examples that you'll find yourself using again and again. It's better to go to as many as possible and have a comfortable amount of notes for revision, just in case the topics you were planning to do don't go as planned, then be forced to write an essay on something you know nothing about because you skipped the lecture. We only have 5 a week and they're usually at 12 noon anyway, so it's not like you have to get up early for them! So basically, try to go to them, but don't panic if you miss it.

Sorry, as you've probably guessed, people treating history like an 'easy' degree or saying that it's not as hard as the others annoy me, a lot. :redface: You try writing an essay on Malthusian demographic theory applied to the 16th century and then tell me I'm a slacker, dammit!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending