The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fission_Mailed

Says the man with a gaming laptop that is currently roasting his privates.

TMI!
Original post by carcinoma
LOL, I was the other guy.

Lol who won in the end?
Original post by Stanley90
Lol who won in the end?

We agreed that laptops have come a long way, in terms of processing, and while laptop graphics cards have also improved in leaps and bounds they are still not near the level of desktop gaming graphics card.

AFAIR that was the rough gist of it.

Original post by RollerBall
Checking if you agree?
Does anybody know anything about building/buying a decent gaming rig? I thought I did, then I realised that my knowledge of computer parts was last up to date when Pentium 4 was still shipping.

Budget? Do you need peripherals/monitor?

Original post by carcinoma
We agreed that laptops have come a long way, in terms of processing, and while laptop graphics cards have also improved in leaps and bounds they are still not near the level of desktop gaming graphics card.

AFAIR that was the rough gist of it.

Pretty much.
Budget? Do you need peripherals/monitor?

Pretty much.

Roughly £500 (but I could do more if there was enough bang for buck) for the tower, then peripherals on top.
Reply 5025
One of my fave ever patients died on my shift today. I've had a number of patients die before but mostly people I didn't really know that well, or at least none of them I had such a good relationship with. I'd known this patient for a good month and they were honestly the kind of patient I thought about when I went home & enjoyed chatting to. So lovely!
Anyway yeah might have had to go to the loo to compose myself, never had a death of a patient affect me like this before :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
One of my fave ever patients died on my shift today. I've had a number of patients die before but mostly people I didn't really know that well, or at least none of them I had such a good relationship with. I'd known this patient for a good month and they were honestly the kind of patient I thought about when I went home & enjoyed chatting to. So lovely!
Anyway yeah might have had to go to the loo to compose myself, never had a death of a patient affect me like this before :frown:

Are you ok? Do you want to skype?
Reply 5027
Are you ok? Do you want to skype?

Will be okay thanks :smile: Should really go to bed, back at work at 7!
Original post by lekky

Ouch, that isn't right on a Sunday.:s-smilie:
Reply 5029
Ouch, that isn't right on a Sunday.:s-smilie:

It's more than right when you're doing a 14 hour shift on double time :awesome:
Original post by lekky

I never seem to be affected by things like this when I am actually at work. Its usually when I sit down and think about it that it hits me. What helps me is to talk about the person with colleagues. Hope your ok.

Original post by lekky

Im so gald that I no longer work weekends, the week is enough for me.
Original post by lekky
It's more than right when you're doing a 14 hour shift on double time :awesome:

:unimpressed: How about spreading some of that cash my way?
Roughly £500 (but I could do more if there was enough bang for buck) for the tower, then peripherals on top.

Can you necro any parts from your old rig? Hardrives, cases, etc? Can't remember if you're coming from a lappy or not.
Can you necro any parts from your old rig? Hardrives, cases, etc? Can't remember if you're coming from a lappy or not.

Nope, the only computer I own is a laptop. The family did have a desktop until last year, but they use laptops/tablets for everything now. It was a piece of crap anyway, the only thing potentially worth salvaging was the RAM but I literally have no idea where that is now, and RAM is cheap anyhow. I'll use my TV as a monitor, but because it's only 720p I'll still need a second monitor for proper HD, if not a 26" one.

I was thinking of something along these lines: http://www.glhf.co.uk/high/14-glhf-i5-2400.html but I'm not averse to doing a bit of screwdriver work myself if it will save enough to significantly improve any components.
Nope, the only computer I own is a laptop. The family did have a desktop until last year, but they use laptops/tablets for everything now. It was a piece of crap anyway, the only thing potentially worth salvaging was the RAM but I literally have no idea where that is now, and RAM is cheap anyhow. I'll use my TV as a monitor, but because it's only 720p I'll still need a second monitor for proper HD, if not a 26" one.

I was thinking of something along these lines: http://www.glhf.co.uk/high/14-glhf-i5-2400.html but I'm not averse to doing a bit of screwdriver work myself if it will save enough to significantly improve any components.

I'll have a peruse to see what sort of rig I can come up with. I haven't had to work with a constrained budget in a while so it might take some thought. If you're going to be using a 26" monitor (will definetly be at least using 1920x1080, possibly 1920x1200) you may need to either think about spending more money on the rig (you'll need a fairly good GPU to run that kind of res at decent settings), sacrificing graphical quality or getting a smaller panel.

I'm fairly up to date though as I'm currently in the process of building a new desktop myself. Ordered all the main hardware components over the last two days. Just got to try to source a TJ07 and a powder coater for a bit cheaper and work out what water parts I need.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'll have a peruse to see what sort of rig I can come up with. I haven't had to work with a constrained budget in a while so it might take some thought.

I'm fairly up to date though as I'm currently in the process of building a new desktop myself. Ordered all the main hardware components over the last two days. Just got to try to source a TJ07 and a powder coater for a bit cheaper and work out what water parts I need.

Cheers, appreciate it. I've started to look around, but there is just so much stuff to get through.

Water cooling.:coma: What are you putting in this thing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Cheers, appreciate it. I've started to look around, but there is just so much stuff to get through.

Water cooling.:coma: What are you putting in this thing?

In the post at the moment is a Crucial 128gb M4 SSD, i5 2500k, GTX 580, 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CAS 9 and an Asrock Extreme4 Gen 3.

I'm necroing my current pump (d5 vario/MCP655), current rad (MCR220 + fans) and PSU. Going to add a thick quad rad, change the CPU waterblock, order a GPU waterblock, order fittings (undecided on black compression fittings or nickel barbs), undecided on finish of the waterblocks nickel/plexi vs nickel/acetal. Water will be blue with tygon 3/8" ID tubing. Have to decide if I'm going all black, black /w highlight of blue or all blue on the sleeving. I still need to order a TJ07 with a few bits and peices and get it powder coated too.

Once it's build I'll need to order a sheet of aluminium for the final finishing touchs I want to give it to. Think I need to replace my dremel disks as well. My bank balanace is really hating me at the moment.
In the post at the moment is a Crucial 128gb M4 SSD, i5 2500k, GTX 580, 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CAS 9 and an Asrock Extreme4 Gen 3.

I'm necroing my current pump (d5 vario/MCP655), current rad (MCR220 + fans) and PSU. Going to add a thick quad rad, change the CPU waterblock, order a GPU waterblock, order fittings (undecided on black compression fittings or nickel barbs), undecided on finish of the waterblocks nickel/plexi vs nickel/acetal. Water will be blue with tygon 3/8" ID tubing. Have to decide if I'm going all black, black /w highlight of blue or all blue on the sleeving. I still need to order a TJ07 with a few bits and peices and get it powder coated too.

Once it's build I'll need to order a sheet of aluminium for the final finishing touchs I want to give it to. Think I need to replace my dremel disks as well. My bank balanace is really hating me at the moment.

:lolwut:

I don't think I've still felt this clueless after reading something multiple times since revision times. I understand nothing technical about computers. :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man
:lolwut:

I don't think I've still felt this clueless after reading something multiple times since revision times. I understand nothing technical about computers. :/

Rubbish person :tongue:
Reply 5039

Just discovered this guy, really beautiful music!

Also, this is an awesome website for getting to grips with some tricky concepts, as much as I love wiki, I find some of the explanations on there are a little bit pants.

Latest

Trending

Trending