The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Does exeter have a good gay community?

Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is exeter the university good for gay or curious people and what about the town?

Scroll to see replies

try Brighton instead.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by boby123
Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is exeter the university good for gay or curious people and what about the town?

I there's a LGBT society at the university so that's a good start and there's some gay friendly venues on Gandy Street (The Vault is one I think).

Why don't you search the Exeter uni website and do a google search?
Reply 3
But what's the general attitude on campus? Are people pretty cool with lgbt folk? I'm hopefully going to be doing an exchange to exeter next year. I'm from super liberal Toronto, where being gay is almost a social asset :smile: Will I have to shut up about gay stuff when I get here? Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?
Reply 4
yes i think its not to bad i think i'm like you to
(edited 12 years ago)
I think if Exeter was truly homophobic, they wouldn't have voted in an openly gay MP there for the last few terms x]

As for the attitude... I tend to find it's very lax. You can feel comfortable there, so long as you stray from some of the rougher areas. All in all, OP, as a resident of Exeter, I can safely say it's quite a good place to be!
Reply 6
There will be a lot of tall, muscley guys with short hair wandering around Exeter naked.

Ignore them, they're in the Royal Marines. It's part of their culture.
I wouldn't say Exeter has an extravagant gay society.
Try Brighton.
Reply 8
Original post by uoftstudent
Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?

I'd be careful with the word 'queer'; it depends who you're talking to as to how they react. In some circles, it's quite like another word which black people have reclaimed to talk about themselves - acceptable as a form of self-identification, but deeply offensive if someone outside the community uses it, or if someone uses it critically. Some other people don't care about it. I self-identify as 'queer' for the most part, but I'm also aware that plenty of people will refer to 'queers' in a derogatory manner, and it's very reliant on context. If someone thinks you're heterosexual and cisgender, and using the word to take the mick out of them, they may well get offended.

But of course, different parts of the UK are different socially; for all I know, the good LGBT+ people of Exeter may love being referred to as 'queer' :smile:
Reply 9
But what's the general attitude on campus? Are people pretty cool with lgbt folk? I'm hopefully going to be doing an exchange to exeter next year. I'm from super liberal Toronto, where being gay is almost a social asset :smile: Will I have to shut up about gay stuff when I get here? Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?

Some people are fine with calling themselves queer, others have an issue with it. I'd say overall it's being reclaimed fairly rapidly, although a large part of that depends on who's saying it and how.

Google tells me that Exeter had a pride parade last year and that the uni has an LGBT society which seems fairly active, and common sense tells me that any big uni will have sensible people and idiots, and that it's not difficult to ignore idiots and hang around with sensible people.
Original post by kerily
I'd be careful with the word 'queer'; it depends who you're talking to as to how they react. In some circles, it's quite like another word which black people have reclaimed to talk about themselves - acceptable as a form of self-identification, but deeply offensive if someone outside the community uses it, or if someone uses it critically.

This.

Tend to find that a lot of people round here use the likes of "poof" and "queer" to identify themselves, but it'd be a bad idea to refer to them as that if you were outside their group...
Reply 11
Original post by Pseudo-truth
This.

Tend to find that a lot of people round here use the likes of "poof" and "queer" to identify themselves, but it'd be a bad idea to refer to them as that if you were outside their group...

That's when the word 'breeder' starts to come in handy. :awesome:
Original post by dbmag9
That's when the word 'breeder' starts to come in handy. :awesome:

BD True, that. Very true.

I would think that people would have far more pressing issues to consider like studies/exams etc than the sexual orientation of their peers. Nobody really gives a hoot.
Reply 14
Original post by Clip
There will be a lot of tall, muscley guys with short hair wandering around Exeter naked.

Ignore them, they're in the Royal Marines. It's part of their culture.

What are the Royal Marines? :P

Original post by Pseudo-truth
BD True, that. Very true.

Not to sound ignorant but what's a breeder? (In terms of LGBT)
Reply 15
Original post by ppincus
What are the Royal Marines? :P

Not to sound ignorant but what's a breeder? (In terms of LGBT)

Royal Marines. And a 'breeder' is a joking derogatory slang term for a straight person.
Reply 16
Original post by dbmag9
Royal Marines. And a 'breeder' is a joking derogatory slang term for a straight person.

Follow up: why would they be walking around naked? :P haha
Reply 17
Original post by ppincus
Follow up: why would they be walking around naked? :P haha

There's a stereotype that Marines take any opportunity to get naked; Googling 'naked roll mat fighting' will give you an idea of the type of thing.
Reply 18
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by dbmag9
There's a stereotype that Marines take any opportunity to get naked; Googling 'naked roll mat fighting' will give you an idea of the type of thing.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Naked_Rollmat_Fighting

Genius.

Just to say apparently "queer" really isn't socially acceptable in England any more (not that stops my parents referring to gay people like that haha).

Regardless, to answer your question, I know a few openly gay guys in Exeter, so yeah, it really is fine.

Actually, most of the gay guys I know seem to be heart-throbs for the girls in Exeter haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending