The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Saint Gabriel's Hall

Heyy,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me what this hall is like? :smile: What is the policy on visitors as I have bf but I want an all girls hall... So I would like for him to be able to see me lol :smile: Also what are the rooms like?

Any help would be great! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammy9214
Heyy,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me what this hall is like? :smile: What is the policy on visitors as I have bf but I want an all girls hall... So I would like for him to be able to see me lol :smile: Also what are the rooms like?

My gf is in St. Gabriels this year, visitors are allowed as much as you want! If you want to pm me I can send you pictures of a typical room :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by theultimateplu
My gf is in St. Gabriels this year, visitors are allowed as much as you want! If you want to pm me I can send you pictures of a typical room :smile:

could you please send some pictures to me as well?:smile:
Original post by miruna
could you please send some pictures to me as well?:smile:

Have done :smile:
Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to send me a picture also? I know it was a few months ago that this was posted...xoxo
Me too. Can i have a picture?
Reply 6
Original post by kaithly _goh
Me too. Can i have a picture?

Lol this guy is going to be busy PMing you all these pictures !

I've been to the hall to see friends. The food is hit and miss, sometimes really good (the cheesecake was so tasty!) sometimes awful.

Be prepared to see a lot of international students at the hall.
Original post by jabed786
Lol this guy is going to be busy PMing you all these pictures !

I've been to the hall to see friends. The food is hit and miss, sometimes really good (the cheesecake was so tasty!) sometimes awful.

Be prepared to see a lot of international students at the hall.

LOL Is the place nice? I'm an international student myself. So it should be okay =)
As for the food, is it bad? How awful is awful? I can't take cheese, yoghurt and milk =/
Reply 8
LOL Is the place nice? I'm an international student myself. So it should be okay =)
As for the food, is it bad? How awful is awful? I can't take cheese, yoghurt and milk =/

I havent been for breakfast - my friends said thats normally ok.
But for dinner its not awful as in 'urgh I cant eat a single bite' but its just a bit bland and boring sometimes. They do offer different things for dinner each time (veg option, meat etc. ), like the last time I went I had pasta, some salad, a yoghurt and a glass of juice.
Its filled my stomach up and was tasty.
I don't go for dinner often (btw visitors have to pay £4 :tongue: but its worth it for the amount of food you get imo)
My friends just said half the time its good, the other half its not good.
Original post by jabed786
I havent been for breakfast - my friends said thats normally ok.
But for dinner its not awful as in 'urgh I cant eat a single bite' but its just a bit bland and boring sometimes. They do offer different things for dinner each time (veg option, meat etc. ), like the last time I went I had pasta, some salad, a yoghurt and a glass of juice.
Its filled my stomach up and was tasty.
I don't go for dinner often (btw visitors have to pay £4 :tongue: but its worth it for the amount of food you get imo)
My friends just said half the time its good, the other half its not good.

Haha okayy. Do you like staying in St Gabriels? My friend said the place is decent. What do you think?
Reply 10
Haha okayy. Do you like staying in St Gabriels? My friend said the place is decent. What do you think?

I dont stay there, I just visit and hang around for a couple of hours. The place is nice, I havent been to many other halls but yeah its ok for the £5000 or so you pay for catered.
Original post by sammy9214
Heyy,

St Gabriel's or Gabs as you will soon know it as is fairly good. It's located within walking distance of most uni buildings. They have a bar known as the "Bad Habit" and hold lots of events not just during freshers week. There's a real community spirit to it.

Boys are allowed to stay etc so there's no worries about that. They can eat with you for £4 per meal or something modest too.

St Gabriels is the sister hall of the only all male hall in the country, St Anselm Hall (slems). We are a 5 minute walk away and you will see a fair bit of us during freshers week. We have the cheapest bar in manchester £1.50 double vodka mixers) and host an amazing pub quiz every Tuesday at 9PM which I'm sure is in your freshers week timetable.

I am actually helping to organise your freshers week so any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Scott
Reply 12
Hey :biggrin:

I'm one of the social secs. at St. Gabs, so feel free to direct any questions to me! :biggrin:

Cheers, x.
Hmm

Iheard there's a music room. What's it for? Jamming?
Reply 14
Hmm

Iheard there's a music room. What's it for? Jamming?

Well we wouldn't exactly call it a music room. We have two pianos, one's located in the dining room and the other is located in the chapel. The chapel's where everybody goes to if say you wanted to practise your instrument or if you wanted to jam with your friends, but do note that only the piano will be provided. Hope that helps!
Reply 15
Original post by Xyrias
Hey :biggrin:

I'm one of the social secs. at St. Gabs, so feel free to direct any questions to me! :biggrin:

Cheers, x.

Hiya! I was just wondering if you could give me some details about the following please:

1. the sports facilities at St. Gabs (the equipment available - and at what times, whether an additional fee needs to be provided to make use of these facilities, or is the gym only a hall?...)

2. the kitchen facilities - I know it's catered 7/7 but to make our lunch and all that, what are the equipment available(freezer, fridge, microwave, oven, stove, crockery)?

3. Is there a study room?

Thnks in advance!
Original post by Crystalix
Hiya! I was just wondering if you could give me some details about the following please:

1. the sports facilities at St. Gabs (the equipment available - and at what times, whether an additional fee needs to be provided to make use of these facilities, or is the gym only a hall?...)

2. the kitchen facilities - I know it's catered 7/7 but to make our lunch and all that, what are the equipment available(freezer, fridge, microwave, oven, stove, crockery)?

3. Is there a study room?

Thnks in advance!

I don't live in Gabs (for obvious reasons) but seeing as nobody has replied yet I'll try and answer your questions for you :smile:

1. Tennis/Netball Court and Gym. Tennis is free but I think there is a small charge for the gym (No more than £10 if there is)

2. There are full kitchen facilities available but you will have provide your own pots, pans, plates and cutlery.

3. There is a library where you can study within the hall. There is also a library 5 minutes down the road that runs a night bus. Here you can book your very own private study rooms.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by scott202
I don't live in Gabs (for obvious reasons) but seeing as nobody has replied yet I'll try and answer your questions for you :smile:

1. Tennis/Netball Court and Gym. Tennis is free but I think there is a small charge for the gym (No more than £10 if there is)

2. There are full kitchen facilities available but you will have provide your own pots, pans, plates and cutlery.

3. There is a library where you can study within the hall. There is also a library 5 minutes down the road that runs a night bus. Here you can book your very own private study rooms.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Oh yes! Thnk u very much :smile:

Just to confirm, when you say 10 pounds, is it per week or per month? :confused:
Do you know if in the gym, there are cardio equipment (treadmill...)?
Also, how is St Gabs compared to Hulme Hall in terms of facilities? Any idea?
Thnk you! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Crystalix
Oh yes! Thnk u very much :smile:

Just to confirm, when you say 10 pounds, is it per week or per month? :confused:
Do you know if in the gym, there are cardio equipment (treadmill...)?
Also, how is St Gabs compared to Hulme Hall in terms of facilities? Any idea?
Thnk you! :smile:

That £10 would be for the year...

There are some photos of the gym here:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Treadmill, bikes, multigym, rowing machine etc...

As for facilities they are pretty much alike. Hulme doesn't have a gym or a library but it does have a better bar than Gabs. That said there's nothing to stop anyone from using it. It is just over the road after all!
Reply 19

That £10 would be for the year...

There are some photos of the gym here:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Treadmill, bikes, multigym, rowing machine etc...

As for facilities they are pretty much alike. Hulme doesn't have a gym or a library but it does have a better bar than Gabs. That said there's nothing to stop anyone from using it. It is just over the road after all!

Thnks a lot!

I'm amazed that the 10 pounds are for the YEAR!!! Wow!! :biggrin:

The pictures really helped me get a better idea! Actually, I had read that there was a multi-gym at Hulme Hall, and I'd got the impression that there are many pieces of equipment there! :dontknow: But the one at St Gabs suits my purpose. :smile:

BTW, you said there's a library 5 mins down the road. It's the first time I've heard of it! That's a good piece of info u gave me! It's not John Ryland, right? What is its name?
Is it on Oxford Road? (I hope u don't mind my asking so many questions!! :tongue: )
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending