The Student Room Group

Changing your Firm and Insurance **FAQ 2011**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littledreams
I would highly recommend you call your insurance ASAP (BEFORE results day) to ask them to release you. You need to wait for confirmation from UCAS, so it's a slightly fiddly process. DO IT NOW, seriously. I did it about a month ago so that I only have my firm choice or nothing.

What exactly do you mean by this? I asked my insurance to reject me and they did last week, so now it says 'unsuccesful' next to my insurance on track. Should i be getting something else along with that change? :tongue:
Reply 481
Original post by foxes-are-ginger
HEY -

I also asked my clearing to release me from my insurance offer - they cannot release you until the 18th of august now.

which is bloody unfortunate.

noooo! thats suckss
Original post by Casshern1456
Yes I think you'll have the decision to take up the offer or decline them, when you decline them you'll be entered into clearing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't get to decline them, but you can ask them to release you.
Original post by foxes-are-ginger
HEY -

I also asked my clearing to release me from my insurance offer - they cannot release you until the 18th of august now.

which is bloody unfortunate.

I had the same situation with my insurance choice, but I kindly asked for them to reject me regardless of what grades I get so I think you should be able to do the same.

Doubt they'll accept anyone who has so openly stated they dont want to attend.
Im planning on going in to clearing if i dont get my firm. I just hope it doesnt take too long for me to get released
Original post by arsenal111
I had the same situation with my insurance choice, but I kindly asked for them to reject me regardless of what grades I get so I think you should be able to do the same.

Doubt they'll accept anyone who has so openly stated they dont want to attend.

Have you heard back from them about that?
Original post by TheSownRose
Have you heard back from them about that?

Not as of yet as I only sent the email today but expect it to all go fine. Because the only way I would gain entry to my insurance over my firm is by missing the offer from both (ABB) and then having my insurance being more lenient. So with lower grades than the offer and a desire to not study there, I'm pretty confident they wont accept me :smile:

Plan on being the first on the clearing hotlines to hopefully get a good place :smile:

Thanks for your help
Oh **** I though you could just reject them on results day and go into clearing D:
Should I ring up monday and ask to be rejected?
Original post by Big_Hater
Oh **** I though you could just reject them on results day and go into clearing D:
Should I ring up monday and ask to be rejected?

You could try, but they'll be processing results and it's extremely likely that they won't talk to you.

Your best option is get up early on Thursday and phone them as soon as their lines are open, requesting that they release you. Reason for doing this early is they're hopefully not so busy that it'll take them days to get round to it.
Original post by blush.ox
What exactly do you mean by this? I asked my insurance to reject me and they did last week, so now it says 'unsuccesful' next to my insurance on track. Should i be getting something else along with that change? :tongue:

Oh... well I asked my insurance to reject me by email and when I rang them a week later they said I needed to phone UCAS to confirm it with them. Maybe they were just more disorganised than your insurance choice haha.
Original post by uzi17
Hello.

If I was not to get into my firm choice , is it possible if i could reject my insurance, because I no longer want to go to uni of Wolverhampton if i don't get my firm, and then enter into clearing? is this possible??

Most people will tell you to release the insurance first. I actually called up the uni I wanted to get into and asked them if they could confirm a place for me. Once that was done, I released my insurance and noone was the wiser.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Most people will tell you to release the insurance first. I actually called up the uni I wanted to get into and asked them if they could confirm a place for me. Once that was done, I released my insurance and noone was the wiser.

You were quite lucky - a lot won't talk to you unless you are in Clearing. That was my experience.
You were quite lucky - a lot won't talk to you unless you are in Clearing. That was my experience.

Actually I think they asked me if I was in clearing and I lied and said I was. They have no way of actually checking, unless they've got something new.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Actually I think they asked me if I was in clearing and I lied and said I was. They have no way of actually checking, unless they've got something new.

That was the case under the Clearing passport system. UCAS brought out Clearing numbers in 2009 and universities ask you for that when you phone them up; if you're not in Clearing, you won't have a number.
Reply 494
i emailed my insurance choice asking them to release me from the course because i really dont want to go there. i have my heart set on my firm choice and i didnt want to be rejected by them and accepted by my insurance and end up going somewhere i really didnt want to. i emailed them but havent received a reply so i plan on calling them.

what are your thoughts? is it a stupid thing to do .. to go into clearing when i could have been accepted into a university? technically after ive done this, ill have one uni to hope for on my ucas.
Whether it's stupid or not depends on if you understand the risks. The risk is, you end up with nothing; are you happy with that?

I did it because there was no way I wanted to go to my insurance or study my original course, I would have rather taken a gap year and reapplied for a different course.
Reply 496
That was the case under the Clearing passport system. UCAS brought out Clearing numbers in 2009 and universities ask you for that when you phone them up; if you're not in Clearing, you won't have a number.

this question is kind of relevant to this :tongue: i was just wondering what would happen if i missed my firm offer but asked to be considered for a similar course or foundation course at the same uni, would they talk to me before being released by my insurance as they already have all my details etc? i really want to go to my firm but was on holiday before i found out about cancelling insurances, got back yesterday :frown:

cheers :smile:
Original post by SamT WHU
this question is kind of relevant to this :tongue: i was just wondering what would happen if i missed my firm offer but asked to be considered for a similar course or foundation course at the same uni, would they talk to me before being released by my insurance as they already have all my details etc? i really want to go to my firm but was on holiday before i found out about cancelling insurances, got back yesterday :frown:

cheers :smile:

If you missed your firm but wanted to be considered for alternative courses, you wouldn't need your insurance to release you at all - your firm get priority.

If you phone them to discuss it and they agree, they'll have it changed on Track without you having to go into Clearing.
Reply 498
Hey guys,

I recently emailed my insurance choice asking them to decline my offer, I've had a chance of heart and don't want to live in London anymore. They replied:

"Dear Michael

Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the University of ********.

As we are your insurance offer, we will be unable to decline your offer. You would need to be rejected by your firm choice, so that we became your firm. Once we are your firm, we can decline your offer.

If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on ****"

Are they being honest here? Are they actually unable to decline me? Also, does this mean that if I miss my firm on results day I can ask them to reject me on Thursday and drop into clearing or am I stuck with insurance? Please help!

---------------------

Here is some background info on my situation and why I have doubts about my insuance if anyone is interested:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32372010&highlight=

I want to decline my insurance and go into clearing aswell if i fail to achieve my firm. I rang and emailed my insurance weeks ago but they were adamant i couldnt do anything untill results day. Im just planning on ringing them the second they open to be released. I hope it doesnt take too long

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending