The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a dissertation in 13 days!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by happydinosaur
If you know what you want to write about then 13 days is plenty of time to write it up. It won't be easy but dissertations never are no matter how early you start writing them! If you think of it as 750 words a day you'll still have time to edit it at the end. Just write something and worry less about being perfect because something that gets an ok mark is better than nothing that means you fail. Write something then go back and edit it if you need to.

I've got another 6000ish to write of my dissertation (although the total is much longer than yours) Somedays I don't feel able to do it or cant think what to write or think its all rubbish which is perfectly normal. I push through because I know if I don't do it I will fail. Glandular fever is tough, I had it between 2nd and final year and it hit me hard. Was doing a very time intesenive course too (theatre) and coupled with past health issues I struggled at times. But apart from try to get an extension (and prolong the workload) or fail there isn't much I could do except work as hard as I could manage and get it done.

Do you have a plan? If you haven't got one then you should try to make a really detailed bullet point outline of your dissertations main points in a word doc and then go back and structure it into proper paragraphs. That's what I do for essays.

Hiya, Thanks for your post! yes Ivgot a plan and done research, got quotes etc mines a drama degree so im doing 'Language and gender in the theatre of sarah Kane' whast yours on and when it due?? I really need to do the ame and just push through co si dont want to fail either! :C Yep glandular fever sucks I had it really bad and nded up in hosital because of it! its just so debiliating i feel tired all the time and get ill easy cos my immune system was ruined because of it! :frown: was you the same?x
Reply 21
Original post by Craig_D
I remember by the end of the last semester I'd stupidly landed myself in a position where I needed to write 5,000 words (cumulative, from parts of 3 essays that needed doing) in 2 and a half days. I managed it with a few hours spare and got 74 in one essay, 71 in another and 67 in the final one. I'd definitely say that it's therefore possible to write 8,000-10,000 in 13 days, though it will need to be much better researched than my mere essays, and I'm sure you'll be knackered by the end :p: Best of luck :biggrin:

Edit: I should also mention a friend of mine who finished her dissertation (14,000 words) with a week to spare ... and then her computer crashed and the file was corrupted. She rewrote the whole thing in 7 days :colonhash:

Hiya Craig thanks for your post! Its nice to hear that you were inthe same sort of position but n=managed to do it and got good grades! well done! and wow how your friend did that i dont know! guess it goes ot show aythings possible eh?
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hiya, Thanks for your post! yes Ivgot a plan and done research, got quotes etc mines a drama degree so im doing 'Language and gender in the theatre of sarah Kane' whast yours on and when it due?? I really need to do the ame and just push through co si dont want to fail either! :C Yep glandular fever sucks I had it really bad and nded up in hosital because of it! its just so debiliating i feel tired all the time and get ill easy cos my immune system was ruined because of it! :frown: was you the same?x

Yep, I was in hospital for a week and even now 3 years on I still suffer the exhaustion from time to time and get ill a lot.

I did a drama degree for undergrad too so managing it with glandular fever was tough but rewarding. Started 2nd year a few weeks after getting it and took on 2 practical modules involving a total of 16 hours studio teaching time plus extra for all the assignments. Ended up being late for a lot of the sessions as I had trouble waking up! Language in gender in the theatre of Sarah Kane sounds interesting, did my theatre dissertation on the relationship between the site and the formation of meaning in site-specific performance.

Current dissertation is for a masters, looking at exhibitions in libraries. Got to be 25,000 words and is due September 1st but need to give myself 3 days for printing and binding.

Stop thinking about not feeling able to do it and just write stuff.
Original post by kat2pult
I'm sure there are quite a few TSR people who have done 2000+ word essays the night before (I know I have). First do a plan of your dissertation. what you need to include, in what order and how many words. Then do your reading for about 4 or 5 days, and then 1000 words a day. It's certainly manageable.

I'm so jealous of those who can bang out a full essay in one night, I get so bored! :o:

Tell me your secrets! I guess its the pressure of it needing to be done?
If you've done your research well, and have a plan, they you should be able to do it. But don't split it equally over the days and do 500 words per day or whatever- aim to do at least 1,000 words each day then you have space to breathe before the deadline and also time to sort out any other issues that might have occurred.
Reply 25
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I'm so jealous of those who can bang out a full essay in one night, I get so bored! :o:

Tell me your secrets! I guess its the pressure of it needing to be done?

If you do a plan of your essay and sufficient reading it's actually quite easy. It means you can do different sections in any order you like, then spend an hour at the end tying it all together and making sure it flows. If you have 8 sections in a 2000 word essay, that's 250 words a section (or whatever you said the word amount per section to be) which makes it much more manageable and seem less daunting.

Having said that, I tend to get my essays done a couple of days before they're due because I always think they will take me longer than they actually do. I would say that the 'I need to get this done NOW' attitude is quite motivating, but it does mess up your sleeping pattern lol.
Yes, it is very doable. Whether you get a good grade or not is another matter.

I'm sure there are quite a few TSR people who have done 2000+ word essays the night before (I know I have). First do a plan of your dissertation. what you need to include, in what order and how many words. Then do your reading for about 4 or 5 days, and then 1000 words a day. It's certainly manageable.

Try 5k words about 3 1/2 hours before the deadline having not slept that night.

:lol:
Reply 27
If it's research based, you're screwed. If it's just a glorified essay (so not really a dissertation) it's possible
Reply 28
Just write. Write, go, now. You can tidy it up afterwards, but if you don't have the time, at least you already have SOMETHING, however crap.
Reply 29
Original post by paddy__power
Yes, it is very doable. Whether you get a good grade or not is another matter.

Try 5k words about 3 1/2 hours before the deadline having not slept that night.

:lol:

I couldn't do that! Absolutely crazy! I find I work at a rate of 5-6 words per minute, including editing and quick reading.
It's very possible, especially given you've already researched and planned everything. Also, if you have post-viral fatigue as a result of glandular fever, you should try and get a diagnosis and extension - I recently got an extension for this reason for my master's thesis, and it was very necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
I couldn't do that! Absolutely crazy! I find I work at a rate of 5-6 words per minute, including editing and quick reading.

It's easy when you don't give a feck how you do. I still got more firsts than anything else with the tactic (including the best marks in the year for one module) so it's not so bad (although there were a handful of 2:2s where I didn't reference anything or something equally stupid). Of course I wouldn't recommend it though and am pretty sure I would have added at least 10% to most of the work I did simply by doing it the day before. Such is life though.
Reply 32
I'm going into my second year, but just wondering, for your year 3 dissertation, how often do you need to quote?
Original post by c0nfus3d
I'm going into my second year, but just wondering, for your year 3 dissertation, how often do you need to quote?

Depends on the type of topic really, there's no standard amount.
Can't you just get an extension? Mine is due 9th April 2016 10,000 words so I'm going to start now due to my health problems so I understand but 13 days will be a bit risky if you suffer from
depression, so an extension will be advisable. I also suffer from depression but I want to get a good degree so no procrastinating. If you decide to ahead with it then I wish you all the best and take it easy. Peace
I did the entire thing in two weeks - planning, research and writing. It was horrendous and I wouldn't recommend it, but it's certainly doable. You haven't lived until you've had a greasy takeaway delivered to your uni library at 3am having been in there for 17 hours.

I got a very decent mark but I never told my friends, how could I? My housemate did the same course as me, he worked his arse off all year for his dissertation and he got virtually the same result. It would have been unfair for me to say anything.

If you've done the research then it's piss easy and you can do it in two days. I did all my essays in that time frame. One evening for research, come back the next morning and just sit down until i'd finished writing.

My best friend did hers in a week as well, and she'd broken up with her boyfriend a few days before!
Of course, it is possible to do dissertations in 13 days. This is a critic problem for most of the master degree students to write dissertations their own bcoz it is very long assignment to write. Therefore most of the students seeking the help of online dissertation writing service to do their dissertation. But do not trust all of the services available online, before you placing your order to a online service check their reviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending