The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Kendo_Artist
As much as I would LOVE a ninja warrior obstacle course......not sure we'd get planning permission :P as for ping pong, there's a table in the area we have reserved for weekly tandems :P

:eek:...........

It's on :colone:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 281
Original post by avila
Why feel sick? It'll be fun and there's the prospect of going to Japan and speaking... Japanese. D: Speaking to the Japanese in Japanese!!! D: D: D:

But yeah, we should all get together on Skype or MSN at some point. That should kill off any and all anxiety. Feel free to PM for contact details, etc. :>

In unrelated news: Kana packs or whatever it is they send you before you start the course -- anyone got theirs yet?
I don't mean the general uni registration pack btw.

No kana packs for me yet though....I'm not in the U.K at the mo. I'm sure I would have been sent a text though if they had :biggrin:

Also, I'll pm you my contact details now.

Yeeeeeeeey!!! I paid my deposit! My room looks small but it's only for studying anyway, so I can't complain. I wonder what time I should arrive though. I was thinking of picking up my keys at 12 to 12:30 as my train arrives at 11am. I'm not sure how long it will take for the tram to reach my stop and walk to my accom. I'm slightly claustrophobic too so....maybe getting the earlier train would be better so I don't don't knocked about as much.

Has anyone one else picked their key pick up time yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 282
5 Weeks guys! (If my maths is correct... :s) Excitementtttt!
Reply 283
XD Yey!!! Anyone read the event list yet? The first two weeks is packed! There is archery, karate, meditation, CHOCOLATE TASTING, film nights, pizza nights, walks, bar crawls and lots of other stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 284
Tue 20th Sep
Film Unit presents: The Social Network

Oh the hilarity...
I'm so doing archery

On a horse preferably and in a hakama
Reply 286
Original post by GuineaPrig
I'm so doing archery

On a horse preferably and in a hakama

I applaud you *_* I wanna do archery too but I'd feel stupid going alone. :frown:

Can I come with you?!!! Pleaaaaase :biggrin:
Original post by 07734
I applaud you *_* I wanna do archery too but I'd feel stupid going alone. :frown:

Can I come with you?!!! Pleaaaaase :biggrin:

Of course, I say I was going to go but I'd probably not have the courage to go on my own either, haha :biggrin: I had a look at the intro week and I think I'll try some of the movie nights, walks and archery, would do chocolate tasting if I wasn't desperately trying to stick to a healthy diet (and failing). Oh and maybe fencing. Depends how busy it's gonna be registering and getting settled in etc. Got to register for the doctor's, vets (yes I succeeded in bargaining in my pets), figure out the city, stress about what modules to take (I still might be doing Japanese w/ Spanish or Russian but I'm not sure yet), buy stuff I've forgotten/left out of my university shopping list, argh! So much stress!

Just got to breathe and relax for the next month. I'm moving in on September 15th so I still have time. Don't panic. :|

I was looking at some of the societies and thought cheerleading looked fun... but I'm so unfit and wheezy so I'll probably end up joining the DnD and Computer Game societies instead. :P (Too much nerd to handle...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 288
Computer Game societies

They have that? o_o
Original post by avila
They have that? o_o

Yeah they have LAN parties and stuff. http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/slugs

Loads of different societies listed here: http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/a-z-societies.php
Reply 290

Some of those look interesting. Don't think I'll have time for any though; managing my translation job while keeping up with Japanese Studies is going to be hell. :frown:

Anyway, thanks for the links.
I'm a (soon) to be third year student studying Japanese Studies at Sheffield who's going on his year abroad in two weeks ^^. SO if you have any Q's email me or w/e and I'll be glad to help.

One thing.. If you want an easy degree Japanese is not a good choice, though it is far more rewarding intersting than other degrees..
Original post by avila
Some of those look interesting. Don't think I'll have time for any though; managing my translation job while keeping up with Japanese Studies is going to be hell. :frown:

Anyway, thanks for the links.

:O Your Japanese is that good already?!
Original post by Vongustedt
I'm a (soon) to be third year student studying Japanese Studies at Sheffield who's going on his year abroad in two weeks ^^. SO if you have any Q's email me or w/e and I'll be glad to help.

One thing.. If you want an easy degree Japanese is not a good choice, though it is far more rewarding intersting than other degrees..

Ah cool, are you looking forward to it? Nervous/excited? :eek:

Is it true you need to show the Japanese embassy (or whatever authority it is) that you have at least £9000 in your account before you can go? :s-smilie:
Reply 294
:O Your Japanese is that good already?!

Haha, I wish. :V

It's only from/to German, French, or English at the moment.
Original post by avila
Haha, I wish. :V

It's only from/to German, French, or English at the moment.

Ahh I love German, I really wanted to do Japanese/German but no A Level. It's my 2nd favourite language. Most people say it sounds too guttural and gruff but I think it sounds awesome!

And I can't even do a French accent anymore, it just turns into Japanese. :tongue:
Its the feeling you get when you ride a roller coaster... I'm excited as hell and nervous as hell.
And yes, I'm going to Tsukuba university (one of the cheapest, my rent is like £120 A MONTH) and I had to show I had £9000, but fortunatley you can use your student loan money (6400 here) and I had a mate who lent me 3.5k to put in my bank printed of a statement and gave it back.

You guy know bout how many people drop out and quit and dont make it to third year. In my first year alone there were like 10 people retaking first year. BUT its as simple as if you work, you will pass.

Strange thing I noticed too is that people who fail mainly seem to be mature students ..Hmmm. My advise before you come, study the basics..

First year is easier than second year ^^. Teachers are awesome.. You'll come to love 'Whately Sensei, shame we didnt have her in my second year =(
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 297
Strange thing I noticed too is that people who fail all seem to be mature students ..Hmmm.

FUD alert unless we get another second or third year to confirm it.

I really wish there were some published figures on drop-out rates with respect to age, educational background, etc. :s-smilie:

____
Unrelated edit: one more vote for obsolete kana being used in real life:
(edited 12 years ago)
The majority who have failed the second year are mature.. I can name them...So no there is no doubt... first year is different.. (by mature I mean people who havent come straight out of 6th form educ. to uni... (Not sure about the first year)

Its not true its impossibly hard and you have to live like a hermit to pass (or succeed) but lots of people drop out...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 299
80% are mature who have failed, this year.. I can name them...So no there is no doubt... first year is different.. (by mature I mean people who havent come straight out of 6th form educ. to uni...

Its not true its impossibly hard and you have to live like a hermit to pass (or succeed) but lots of people drop out...

Which raises the question-- why do/did they fail? There must be underlying reasons. It can't be difficulty alone. Did they lose interest perhaps? :V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending