The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joemullally
Last I heard they deal with them the same.
Except the GCSE threshold is lower. (this is from the 2011 entry open day in july 2010 so may have changed)

Instead of needing 15 points at GCSE from their system they consider applicants with 12-14 points as well.

I think there's other conditions to it like you have to have done well at A level or maybe it's just having a grades in hand type of thing. In any case you'd need to meet the offer.

Thanks as well. I needed this info!
Would have +repped you but i got that "Please rate other members..." message :tongue:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Thanks as well. I needed this info!
Would have +repped you but i got that "Please rate other members..." message :tongue:

Does it help you then? Or were you above 15 anyway?

I mean there are still gonna be 15+ reapplicants applying. I don;t know how they work it lol.

Best bet would to be to also search through the 2011 applicants thread.
Does it help you then? Or were you above 15 anyway?

I mean there are still gonna be 15+ reapplicants applying. I don;t know how they work it lol.

Best bet would to be to also search through the 2011 applicants thread.

This was going to be my non-UKCAT uni but wanted to know which of Bristol/Liverpool was a greater risk
I was above 15 anyway (not all A*s though) but i heard through the grapevine that they were very GCSE-whorish so i just wanted to know how much
But if they said this on the open day and if they are true to their scoring system (A scores the same points as A*) i should be alright for GCSEs.
But if they say one thing and accept another then it's an option wasted for me
This was going to be my non-UKCAT uni but wanted to know which of Bristol/Liverpool was a greater risk
I was above 15 anyway (not all A*s though) but i heard through the grapevine that they were very GCSE-whorish so i just wanted to know how much
But if they said this on the open day and if they are true to their scoring system (A scores the same points as A*) i should be alright for GCSEs.
But if they say one thing and accept another then it's an option wasted for me

As far as I know They're true to their word.
But then again i've never applied to liverpool :P.

Know a few people from round here going there though.
As far as I know They're true to their word.
But then again i've never applied to liverpool :P.

Know a few people from round here going there though.

This is somewhat reassuring, though i'll obviously wait for results day before i finalise
It's all a risk at the end of the day :tongue:

Got a small quesion though: I remember you saying that soton were interviewing for the 1st time this year yet i haven't seen this anywhere (website - though admittedly outdated and the 2012 prospectus i ordered). Did you go to an open day or hear from someone??
Reply 2885
I have such a bad feeling about results day, I dont know what I should do if I completely flop ..
Oh i intend to go crazy around this time next year and make up for all the partying/drinking/beaching i should have done this year
I've already got a two weeks in florida booked next summer and i'm just getting started..
:cool:

And whata dream! Aww hope it ends up being deja-vu for you. And the rest of us gappers :rolleyes:

Congrats! That's fantastic, you must be so relieved!
Nonsense is exactly what the UKCAT is but i should think there's less pressure on you now for this (having said that, you acctually never know and depends on what unis you apply to but it's one less hurdle)

Deffo the best bit of reapplying. You work your arse off for the next few months, get a couple of unconditionals under your belt...and then have NO exams/results to worry about. It's bliss from April onwards :biggrin:
Reply 2887
Original post by 786girl
I have such a bad feeling about results day, I dont know what I should do if I completely flop ..

I felt the same until I decided that no matter what happens, I'm taking a gap year. My plan before was to go into clearing if I get any B's, and try for another course. But I realised that first of all, I haven't got a clue what to apply for. I don't think I can make that decision when medicine is still an option. So I decided, that no matter what happens, I'll take a gap year. I 've already got a job and plans for the rest of the year, and it would give me time to go to open days, research my other options and make an informed decision (rather than a rushed one I'd probably end up regretting) The whole expensive fees thing is the only reason not to do this, but I guess the way I'd like things to pan out, I'd be more in debt than if I did a normal 3 year year course next year. It really took such a weight off my shoulders, knowing that I don't have to see whether I got into university - I know I haven't this year. I can just get my results, and get used to whatever happens, and make plans in my own time after that.

Think positive though! It probably won't be as bad as you think :smile: Nobody is ever very good at predicting their own grades!
Original post by sweetchilli
Congrats on your great score! Maybe be seeing you in Glasgow next year? What are your choices for this year? :smile:

Thanks madam :biggrin: Basically if you remember our discussion earlier its looking like the fast track courses are, ironically, going to be much more expensive for Scottish graduates than the 5years in scotland (not sure if this is completely set in stone for 2012 entry...??). So basically I have 4 out of 5 of the Scottish universities to choose from! So you never know.

Original post by firestar101
I am glad it went well. :cool: . I hope the ukcat practice online questions helped. I am sitting the ukcat in September. I would be grateful if you could private message me some tips on the ukcat if you can. How did you find using the on-screen calculator?

Really, are you a butler for some really posh family or something. I am sure it pays well. :tongue:

Not been up to much. I will be working as a film extra soon in the movie world war z, which stars brad Pitt. So looking forward to that. :smile:

Haha you shall be fine for the UKCAT don't you worry. Thanks a lot for the UPO Sir!

Butler for a hotel, very posh but it is banter. Whats the story with this extra work, sounds braw!

Original post by laurenl93
-

How you been!?
This is somewhat reassuring, though i'll obviously wait for results day before i finalise
It's all a risk at the end of the day :tongue:

Got a small quesion though: I remember you saying that soton were interviewing for the 1st time this year yet i haven't seen this anywhere (website - though admittedly outdated and the 2012 prospectus i ordered). Did you go to an open day or hear from someone??

Heard it on here in the applicants thread for 2011 entry.

But then again you know how reliable hearsay can be.
Original post by baztech
... going to be much more expensive for Scottish graduates than the 5years in scotland (not sure if this is completely set in stone for 2012 entry...??)...

Big news yesterday! SAAS have reinstated the fee differential for all grads applying for med as a subsequent degree. :biggrin: I was told (by Chief Executive of SAAS on phone) that for 2012, a policy change is occurring which would financially disadvantage those starting this year who were not to get the differential. The policy change is that they will be reducing fees for medicine to be in line with those charged for other undergraduate degrees i.e. c.£1850 p.a. Medicine is currently £2895 p.a. So, it looks like it will be even cheaper to study medicine in Scotland (if you are Scottish) as it opens the way to deregulate the fees charged to other UK residents to be more like the fees being charged from 2012 i.e. up to £9k.
(edited 12 years ago)
Last I heard they deal with them the same.
Except the GCSE threshold is lower. (this is from the 2011 entry open day in july 2010 so may have changed)

Instead of needing 15 points at GCSE from their system they consider applicants with 12-14 points as well.

I think there's other conditions to it like you have to have done well at A level or maybe it's just having a grades in hand type of thing. In any case you'd need to meet the offer.

Thank you :smile: Will you be reapplying to Liverpool as well?
Original post by Sanjetti
Deffo the best bit of reapplying. You work your arse off for the next few months, get a couple of unconditionals under your belt...and then have NO exams/results to worry about. It's bliss from April onwards :biggrin:

Looking forward to this bliss you speak of :rolleyes:
Been ages since I felt this :redface:
But i know what you mean, makes everything worth it in the end :smile:

Heard it on here in the applicants thread for 2011 entry.

But then again you know how reliable hearsay can be.

Oh okay.
Thanks for the heads up anyway cos i just emailed them asking if there was any changes being made to the selection process this time (and gave the example of interviewing BM5 applicants/more emphasis on UKCAT score or UCAS tariff points etc.) so i'll wait for them to get back to me and let you know :smile:
Original post by sweetchilli
Big news yesterday! SAAS have reinstated the fee differential for all grads applying for med as a subsequent degree. :biggrin: I was told (by Chief Executive of SAAS on phone) that for 2012, a policy change is occurring which would financially disadvantage those starting this year who were not to get the differential. The policy change is that they will be reducing fees for medicine to be in line with those charged for other undergraduate degrees i.e. c.£1850 p.a. Medicine is currently £2895 p.a. So, it looks like it will be even cheaper to study medicine in Scotland (if you are Scottish) as it opens the way to deregulate the fees charged to other UK residents to be more like the fees being charged from 2012 i.e. up to £9k.

Really!? Is this definate-definate! I'm hoping for a public statement to be on the safe side. So £1850 per year for Scottish graduate medics!? This would make my day!!
Reply 2894
Original post by baztech
Went really really well! Average 707.5, so well chuffed. Also I am doing same job I did one summer between uni years: a butler :colondollar: :cool:

ALSO what you been up 2!?

Hey congratulations on your ukcat score! that's really an amazing score to hit into the 700s!

I was just wondering whether the maths section was easier than last year's ukcat since we now have to use the on screen simple calculator?

has anything else about the ukcat changed since last year?

im going to take it on the end of August and this would be the second time that i'd be doing it! (aka im on a gap year)
Original post by baztech

How you been!?

Working my arse off! Plus I had nothin good to bring the reapp thread other than 'LOL DUN NO UKCAT PREP LOL @ ME' or 'so results on Thursday... Well that's awkward'

My ukcats on Tuesday. 2 days before results. :facepalm:
But I'm not honestly all that bothered, I'm more intrigued what I got these days than vodka-ing out the fear

Oh and I've also been getting pissed waaay too much and living an illegitimate uni lifestyle. Heh :sexface:
How've you been pal?
(edited 12 years ago)
Done a big risky and not bothered booking my UKCAT until results day. I've just checked now and they're still easily 30 appointments still available in August, and I'm guessing the majority have now been booked so I'm hoping they'll still be around on thursday!

Also; £65 booking? Bloody insane.
Original post by Silkielemon
Done a big risky and not bothered booking my UKCAT until results day. I've just checked now and they're still easily 30 appointments still available in August, and I'm guessing the majority have now been booked so I'm hoping they'll still be around on thursday!

Also; £65 booking? Bloody insane.

Ah but there could be 100 people with the same logic as yourself?
Original post by laurenl93
Ah but there could be 100 people with the same logic as yourself?

Erm, pay £85 and cry a bit? :smile: Not the end of the world...
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
Thank you :smile: Will you be reapplying to Liverpool as well?

Nahh. I'm happy with My UKCAT and still have beef with liverpool from the open day I went to.

I asked the woman If I could apply with my GCSE's (2a* 1a 6b's and a C ((12 points))) If I did really well on my A levels and had evidence of my mitigating circumstances.
She told me it was unlikely my application would be considered even with the mitigating circumstances (not having A levels in hand)
and then said something like (in the same breath) We use GCSE's to measure an applicants ability to handle workloads including a variety of different subjects, if they don't perform well enough at gcse then they obviously wouldn't be able to handle the curriculum.

So even with my mitigating circumstances they basically said that I wouldn't be able to handle the course.

When I had my mit circ i'd only just taught myself how to write again and it took me ages to write for exams etc. I got 25% extra time but it was nowhere near enough.
In college I got a full needs assessment and got the option of doing my exams on a laptop, laptop in lessons etc. I'm pretty much completly recovered now (did my arm in at thirteen/fourteen).

Annoyed at my old school aswell since when I couldn't move my arm at all or feel it. They told me to write with my left hand and "get on with it".

Taught me how to persevere though, had to teach myself how to write again with no support etc etc etc. Badly affected my GCSE's and that meant I didn't get a look in most places last year.

Tl;Dr: not re-applying to Liverpool. Applying to Leeds, Barts, Peninsula and Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending