The Student Room Group

Greggs induction help ?

I have been asked to come to a greggs interview in their bakery next saturday as i was successful in getting the job. I don't have a clue what to expect. what to wear or even what to take ! Need some help

1. What should i wear ? leggings and a top ok ?

2.What should i take ?

3.What happens at the induction ?

4.Do i get paid for the induction ?

5.How long til you start work after the induction ?

Any help will be GREAT !! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have exactly the same questions (sort of). I should imagine you just wear normal clothes so yeh, that'll be fine, and my interviewer said I would get paid for the induction but I don;t know whether it will be at my rate of pay. Does anyone know when we get paid for the induction? Does it come with our first wages?
Reply 2
I have one of these in Sheffield on Monday, (bricking it :frown: ) I know you get paid for it and they tell you at the induction when you start working at your branch.

I dont know what sort of thing to expect though :/
I had one 3 years ago, and i had another interview at greggs last week so hopefully will be going back and will have to have another induction.
1. I cant remember what i wore, but i do remember that you get your uniform and need to try it on etc so i wouldnt worry, normal clothes should be fine, dont wear nice shoes though as the floors are a bit manky.
2. dont think you need to take anything unless the asked you to take bank details etc, oh they will tell you your hours so you might want to take your diary so you can write them down.
3. you just get told how to wash your hands properly (lame i know), all about health and safety procedures, company policies etc then you have to do a little quiz, which is easy.
4. yes you do get paid
5. You could start the day after, you'll get your rota for the next 3 weeks there and then.

Chris_d - when i worked there 3 years ago you got paid weekly the week after you have worked. So if you induction is this monday you will get paid a week on friday and yeah it just comes in with your wages.
Reply 4
I just got back from mine today :biggrin:

You can wear anything you want really (leggings, jeans or trousers were all fine) . The only thing they specified was flat shoes/trainers because you will be practicing how to lift boxes safely. Everyone was really casual.

You need to bring a bank statement as they will require you to fill out a form which asks for your short code and account number. Also your national insurance number, next of kin detail, doctors number and address (i forgot to bring all these but the lady at the day said it was fine because all they really need is your bank details so that they can pay you) would be handy. Yes you do get paid plus they served us lunch which was unexpected (and great).

The day is pretty boring, half the time you watch dvds and the other half you do group discussions and little activities such as answering questions about when greggs was first open, how many sausage rolls they sell etc (all info in the dvd btw do don't freak out). Your also handed a pack containing info about greggs to take home. The day is VERY laid back and you meet other people who are starting off at Gregg too. There is absolutely no reason you should panic or feel worried, everyone was extremely welcoming.
Original post by goldenGAZE
I just got back from mine today :biggrin:

You can wear anything you want really (leggings, jeans or trousers were all fine) . The only thing they specified was flat shoes/trainers because you will be practicing how to lift boxes safely. Everyone was really casual.

You need to bring a bank statement as they will require you to fill out a form which asks for your short code and account number. Also your national insurance number, next of kin detail, doctors number and address (i forgot to bring all these but the lady at the day said it was fine because all they really need is your bank details so that they can pay you) would be handy. Yes you do get paid plus they served us lunch which was unexpected (and great).

The day is pretty boring, half the time you watch dvds and the other half you do group discussions and little activities such as answering questions about when greggs was first open, how many sausage rolls they sell etc (all info in the dvd btw do don't freak out). Your also handed a pack containing info about greggs to take home. The day is VERY laid back and you meet other people who are starting off at Gregg too. There is absolutely no reason you should panic or feel worried, everyone was extremely welcoming.

Hi this sounds quite different to my first one three years ago as i was the only one there. Im just curious which region you are in and is it a big shop with lots of new people? Did you have the induction at the shop where you are working?
Reply 6
Original post by aliasunknown
Hi this sounds quite different to my first one three years ago as i was the only one there. Im just curious which region you are in and is it a big shop with lots of new people? Did you have the induction at the shop where you are working?

I'm in the London region and there were around 12 people today all working in different stores across London so i won't be seeing most of them again. The induction took place in a shop that i'm not working at and also we didn't receive our uniforms but we did receive our handbook.
Original post by goldenGAZE
I'm in the London region and there were around 12 people today all working in different stores across London so i won't be seeing most of them again. The induction took place in a shop that i'm not working at and also we didn't receive our uniforms but we did receive our handbook.

Ah right that would be why, im in cumbria and all the shops are miles apart so i cant imagine that people would be having inductions in different places here

EDIT: I meant to ask before but how long between having the interview and hearing you had got the job and starting work?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Ah right that would be why, im in cumbria and all the shops are miles apart so i cant imagine that people would be having inductions in different places here

EDIT: I meant to ask before but how long between having the interview and hearing you had got the job and starting work?

Ohh, in London their are millions of Greggs store everywhere so that's why :biggrin:

My interview was on the 2rd of August and i heard back on the 11th August . The lady called me up and said sorry for taking long to get back so maybe they usually reply quicker if they're not busy.
Reply 9
How long did the actual induction take then? My letter said about 6 hours...
Original post by TD888
How long did the actual induction take then? My letter said about 6 hours...

Mine was 9:15- 3:30 :smile:
@ goldenGAZE

Do you like working at Greggs? Im asking because I have an interview at Greggs at the weekend.
Original post by Dr Tenacious
@ goldenGAZE

Do you like working at Greggs? Im asking because I have an interview at Greggs at the weekend.

I honestly love it! Once you get your head around using the till and learn the name of all the pasties (which at first all look identical lol), the work is extremely easy and kinda fun.

Good luck at your interview.
Reply 13
Chris_d - when i worked there 3 years ago you got paid weekly the week after you have worked. So if you induction is this monday you will get paid a week on friday and yeah it just comes in with your wages.

Ah thanks :smile:

I've got my induction tomorrow, but how long was it before anyone got their first shifts?
Original post by chris_d
Ah thanks :smile:

I've got my induction tomorrow, but how long was it before anyone got their first shifts?

for me 3 years ago, i had my induction on the monday(it was just me in the induction as i was theonly new person at my store) and i got my first shift on thursday. so it was pretty quick, not sure if its changed or not though
Original post by glasgowgirl
I have been asked to come to a greggs interview in their bakery next saturday as i was successful in getting the job. I don't have a clue what to expect. what to wear or even what to take ! Need some help

1. What should i wear ? leggings and a top ok ?

2.What should i take ?

3.What happens at the induction ?

4.Do i get paid for the induction ?

5.How long til you start work after the induction ?

Any help will be GREAT !! :biggrin:

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of greggs work :biggrin:
1) - I would say so yes as long as it is smart. on my induction I had to do some lifting and answer loads of questions so it involved a lot of sitting.
2) - I only took a bottle of water as my indction lasted about 3 hours. They gave us all a break and a paid lunch!
3) - you will *meet* Ken, a very high up person in greggs through a lovely little video where he goes on about how YOU were special for this job blah blah blah lol and then do a little answer booklet, watch loads of safety DVDs and we learnt how to lift properly.
4) - Yes you should get paid for the amount of hours you are there.
and finally 5) - I started the next saturday as I was a saturday girl so it completely depends on when you are contracted for.
Good luck! And feel free to message me if you have anymore questions :smile:
Hey how long to greggs get back to you? and also does everyone have an interview and assessment or just one of them? .. when do they invite you for an interview and when do they tell you you've got the job..?
Original post by ArabiaNessa
Hey how long to greggs get back to you? and also does everyone have an interview and assessment or just one of them? .. when do they invite you for an interview and when do they tell you you've got the job..?

hello, me again from the next thread, lol. I applied at 7pm on monday night and heard i had an interview on friday at 9.30am on tuesday morning. I just had a 20 minute interview, i think it depends on whether the job is temporary or permanent and which region you are in. Last time i applied in 2008 i heard 2 weeks after the interview but i think its usually less, it was summer so i think some people were on holiday and it took longer than usual.
hello, me again from the next thread, lol. I applied at 7pm on monday night and heard i had an interview on friday at 9.30am on tuesday morning. I just had a 20 minute interview, i think it depends on whether the job is temporary or permanent and which region you are in. Last time i applied in 2008 i heard 2 weeks after the interview but i think its usually less, it was summer so i think some people were on holiday and it took longer than usual.

Lol I applied on Saturday night and the post closes on the 15th (tomorrow) just hope I haven't left it til too late.
Reply 19
for me 3 years ago, i had my induction on the monday(it was just me in the induction as i was theonly new person at my store) and i got my first shift on thursday. so it was pretty quick, not sure if its changed or not though

I should get mine next weekend then :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending