The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

When asked about his reason for fighting, he says that he doesn't like bullies. So yeah, not really gung-ho Americanism.
Reply 3861
Anybody got any recommendations for good Danish-language films to watch? (:
Reply 3862
Original post by Kolya
Anybody got any recommendations for good Danish-language films to watch? (:

Try Lars Von Trier's Golden Heart Trilogy: Breaking the Waves, The Idiots (this is on Channel 4 tonight!) and Dancer in the Dark.

There really aren't many others, only a handful are made a year...why Danish? :smile:
Reply 3863
Original post by tombeale

Original post by tombeale
Try Lars Von Trier's Golden Heart Trilogy: Breaking the Waves, The Idiots (this is on Channel 4 tonight!) and Dancer in the Dark.
Err, two of those are in English. :eyebrow:
Original post by boromir9111
:eek: is that a typical day for you? how many hours does that come to doing that one scene?

Well, I would say that we spent about 4-6 months on that ending shot... We would do dailies screenings every day for the different scenes we were working on for months and months, so some days I would see the work on that scene and some days we would do something else instead.

The opening sequence would often be dealt with separately. We added dust falling from the ceiling, cracks in the walls etc. When the cars drive out down the street, and the camera tilts up to show the city being blown up we did film it (minus the explosions obviously), but in the end I think the entire shot became a CGI digital replacement.

Shots with helicopter replacement (it was filmed with British army helicopters in Spain and Morocco and we replaced them digitally with US Blackhawks) were often grouped together. We added dust and CG army pilots and soldiers in the various helicopter shots. Building replacement shots (Saddam's Palace - front and back with the swimming pool etc.), and other architectural changes (blown up bridges, statues etc) were another section. The airport and all the various additional planes, objects, additional animated soldiers in the background were another set. And then there were smaller details - bullet holes and CG glass windows getting smashed.

It took a very long time!
Reply 3865
Original post by Kolya
Err, two of those are in English. :eyebrow:

Oh right sorry I thought you just meant Danish films, otherwise I have no clue.
Reply 3866
Going to watch Source Code this pleasant sunday afternoon, and I do like Jake Gyllenhaal.
Reply 3867
Anyone seen Glorious 39? :holmes:
Reply 3868
Going to see Super 8 tomorrow. Very excited!
Reply 3869
Watched Captain America, wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't like I thought it would be, but I thought the characterization was pretty poor.
Reply 3870
We left mum in charge of the cinema ticket booking. If she's gone for The Smurfs instead of Super 8, I swear to God... :colonhash:
Original post by aja89
We left mum in charge of the cinema ticket booking. If she's gone for The Smurfs instead of Super 8, I swear to God... :colonhash:

In our household, mother is kept firmly away from anything involving technology.
Reply 3872
Original post by Jace Falco
In our household, mother is kept firmly away from anything involving technology.

Oh she knows how to use it fine, it's just whether she decides "oooh everybody might like this film more". :angry:

Anyway, Super 8, 8pm it is. :cool:
Reply 3873
Original post by dior
Watching The Conformist on Film 4...I love Bertolucci's work. :suith:

That film is flawless! The Dreamers... is not.
Reply 3874
Original post by aja89
Oh she knows how to use it fine, it's just whether she decides "oooh everybody might like this film more". :angry:

Anyway, Super 8, 8pm it is. :cool:

Good for you. Smurfs is an absolute travesty. :cry:
Cowboys and Aliens is getting mixed to mediocre reviews.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Cowboys and Aliens is getting mixed to mediocre reviews.

Seeing it on Wednesday. Then having Nando's :awesome:

I cannot get over my 20% Nando's discount.
Talk to me people, is Unstoppable a good movie?
Empire gave it a good review. And it has Daniel Craig and Sam Rockwell and Harrison Ford, also directed by that guy from Couples Retreat.

Nothing there hints at failure.
Reply 3879
Really liked Super 8. Very nostalgic, some great big bloody explosions and funny kids giving good performances. A few ropey parts of the plot but overall a great movie.

Quick Reply

Latest