The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9520
Original post by secretmessages
I needed to use Microsoft Office :hand: :p:

Office for Mac? :holmes:

I won't suggest iWork. Think there's a reason Apple haven't released a new version in 2.5 years? :p:

Original post by Dez
Office for Mac? :holmes:

I won't suggest iWork. Think there's a reason Apple haven't released a new version in 2.5 years? :p:

How expensive is it? I don't want to pay for things :hand: But I have a fully functional version of Office 2010 with seemless integration :sexface: so that'll do for now.
Reply 9522
How expensive is it? I don't want to pay for things :hand: But I have a fully functional version of Office 2010 with seemless integration :sexface: so that'll do for now.

Pay for things? Knickers to that. :p:

Spoiler

Original post by Dez
Pay for things? Knickers to that. :p:

Spoiler

Thanks :smile: Have you used it/know what compatibility etc is like?
Reply 9524
Thanks :smile: Have you used it/know what compatibility etc is like?

Only major thing it's missing is VBA, apart from that it runs fine.
Original post by Dez
So it turns out my monitor hates running a PC via HDMI. Looks absolutely terrible. Unfortunately, this means I have to use VGA. :frown:

I've always wondered, is there meant to be a visible difference between VGA and HDMI (because I can't see one)? Or is it the other features (like the audio) that you're wanting?
Edit: meant VGA and DVI, not a big follower of the AV side of tech :colondollar:

:hand: I'm still virtualising it though, I'd expected it to be slower tbh :dontknow:

You get a CPU that is literally 6x more powerful (going by passmark benchmarks) and you expect it to be slower!?
:rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't suppose there's anybody here with Lion running the latest build of Geektool?

Original post by Chrosson
I've always wondered, is there meant to be a visible difference between VGA and HDMI (because I can't see one)? Or is it the other features (like the audio) that you're wanting?

I can only speak for use with an XBox 360, but the difference between the two is night and day for me. I assume it's similar with PCs too.
Original post by Dez
Only major thing it's missing is VBA, apart from that it runs fine.

:ta:

You get a CPU that is literally 9x more powerful (going by passmark benchmarks) and you expect it to be slower!?
:rofl:

Is it really 9x more powerful? :sexface:

Anyway but yeah okay, quit laughing, it's not that stupid to expect virtualisation to be a hell of a lot slower than running an OS natively.
Is it really 9x more powerful? :sexface:

Anyway but yeah okay, quit laughing, it's not that stupid to expect virtualisation to be a hell of a lot slower than running an OS natively.

****, brain died for a few minutes. 6x, see edit.

From an earlier post where you gave your exact spec, your old CPU had a passmark score of 1565. Your new one has a score of 8927. So pretty much 6x, yes.
I suppose you can be forgiven if you haven't used virtualisation for a while, I remember it used to be pretty horrendous.
This was for various reasons, one of which being the OS consumed a significantly higher proportion of resources back then (as opposed to it being applications now) so virtualising an OS would be akin to running two copies of crysis (or whatever people use these days) on full settings on the same machine.
Hardware acceleration is also no small factor.
Oops, meant DVI (see edit), but they seem similar enough to each other for the question to remain relevant (?)
Says something depressing about my eyes really.
(edited 12 years ago)
What a disaster the UK Cyber Security Challenge has turned out to be. Glad it didn't cost anything and I have the requisite experience from my MSc to make up for it :pierre:

****, brain died for a few minutes. 6x, see edit.

From an earlier post where you gave your exact spec, your old CPU had a passmark score of 1565. Your new one has a score of 8927. So pretty much 6x, yes.
I suppose you can be forgiven if you haven't used virtualisation for a while, I remember it used to be pretty horrendous.
This was for various reasons, one of which being the OS consumed a significantly higher proportion of resources back then (as opposed to it being applications now) so virtualising an OS would be akin to running two copies of crysis (or whatever people use these days) on full settings on the same machine.
Hardware acceleration is also no small factor.

That's still very good. I've used virtualisation recently, on my old desktop, I was virtualising Windows 7 on Ubuntu and that was dreadful, and it slowed down the host OS as well so I was probably just basing it on that. Annoyingly though I can't seem to get good graphics/video card support on my virtualised Windows at the moment :hmmmm:
Reply 9532
Edit: meant VGA and DVI, not a big follower of the AV side of tech :colondollar:

VGA gets a bit ghosty at high resolutions, but provided you use a decent enough cable, even that can be overcome. Unfortunately my screen treats HDMI as a video input rather than a PC input, so it goes into TV mode (looks great for movies, **** for desktops). Not useful really. :frown:
Switching between Mac and PC keyboards is so confusing :nooo:
Reply 9534
Original post by Dez
VGA gets a bit ghosty at high resolutions, but provided you use a decent enough cable, even that can be overcome. Unfortunately my screen treats HDMI as a video input rather than a PC input, so it goes into TV mode (looks great for movies, **** for desktops). Not useful really. :frown:

Surely your screen should have a 'native' resolution for it. I've got the same problem with my TV/monitor I'm using (the reason why I'm considering the Dell U2311). I use HDMI at the VGA native resolution because my TV has a HDMI port, and a mini-HDMI to HDMI (GFX card is a 560 Ti) wasn't that expensive.

I'm having a morning of epic procrastination trying to avoid getting ready for uni. On the plus side, my desktop is now very funky;

Spoiler

Switching between Mac and PC keyboards is so confusing :nooo:

Haha it gets easier after a few weeks =P If you're using inverted scrolling in Lion, wait until you try using a Windows computer after a few weeks, now that's confusing XD
Ooh. What program do you use to get the date/now playing on your desktop?

Haha it gets easier after a few weeks =P If you're using inverted scrolling in Lion, wait until you try using a Windows computer after a few weeks, now that's confusing XD

:teehee: I hope so :p:

Ooh. What program do you use to get the date/now playing on your desktop?

:teehee: I hope so :p:

It's called GeekTool, you can do all sorts with it (:
Download link (Lion)
Download link (Snow Leopard)
Tutorial
Script directory
Thanks, I'll look into it :awesome: Is it completely safe or is it the kind of thing that could be exploited by malicious people? (I'm completely new to OS X).

Thanks, I'll look into it :awesome: Is it completely safe or is it the kind of thing that could be exploited by malicious people? (I'm completely new to OS X).

Entirely safe, as far as I'm aware all it can do is display information and not actually transmit it. Pretty sure all the code submissions to that site get looked over before they're added, so that site's safe anyway. The only issue I've had is one monitoring my email wouldn't let me close my Mail app, it would just reopen it about 3 seconds later =P

Latest

Trending

Trending