The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incarnadine91
Ah, you always do better than you think :wink: Good luck anyhow! What college are you headed to, if you don't mind me asking?

Keble, having originally applied to New :smile:

Also from this thread:
a) I feel really stupid because I know no Latin whatsoever :frown: I would have done it at GCSE, but my school has never ever offered it. Sob. So yeah, adding to the 'uneducated Northerner' stereotype nicely there. :smile:
b) I agree totally with the sentiments expressed about achaeological digs. The best thing about the one I did last year was all the cool American students who were also doing it :tongue: although, nerdily, I really like cataloguing and stuff :colondollar: I'm actually doing work experience in a Roman site museum in a couple of weeks :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by flywithemma
Keble, having originally applied to New :smile:

Also from this thread:
a) I feel really stupid because I know no Latin whatsoever :frown: I would have done it at GCSE, but my school has never ever offered it. Sob. So yeah, adding to the 'uneducated Northerner' stereotype nicely there. :smile:
b) I agree totally with the sentiments expressed about achaeological digs. The best thing about the one I did last year was all the cool American students who were also doing it :tongue: although, nerdily, I really like cataloguing and stuff :colondollar: I'm actually doing work experience in a Roman site museum in a couple of weeks :colondollar:

Keble is awesome, really really pretty despite being relatively new, and their accomodation is great. Not as good as Catz obv, but still, you have a nice offer there :smile:

My school was a scuzzy East End comprehensive, so suffice to say I wasn't taught it either. I'm an uneducated working class girl and I've got along just fine! Latin's only ever really found in the books for the medieval papers, there are translations of the important bits and you can guess a lot of it when the author forgets - and as you've probably noticed, enough of the grammar/private school kids did it that you can get someone to tell you what it means, if you're really desperate. Don't let things like that get you down - you're not expected to know, it's just occasionally helpful.

I think that's... five historians now? Wow.
Where all the lawyers at?
Chasing ambulances.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Keble is awesome, really really pretty despite being relatively new, and their accomodation is great. Not as good as Catz obv, but still, you have a nice offer there :smile:

My school was a scuzzy East End comprehensive, so suffice to say I wasn't taught it either. I'm an uneducated working class girl and I've got along just fine! Latin's only ever really found in the books for the medieval papers, there are translations of the important bits and you can guess a lot of it when the author forgets - and as you've probably noticed, enough of the grammar/private school kids did it that you can get someone to tell you what it means, if you're really desperate. Don't let things like that get you down - you're not expected to know, it's just occasionally helpful.

I think that's... five historians now? Wow.

Haha, thanks. I went on a summer school in Oxford last year and the end of week dinner was in Keble's hall, and it was really pretty. I also like the 'ugly' red brick buildings :smile:

And thanks. that's quite reassuring. :smile: It's just that loads of people on this thread, despite being state educated, seem to have had soooo many more opportunities than me, and generally seem more intelligent, which from the sheltered educational experience I've had so far in life is kind of scary. But yeah, if in doubt, Google translate is your friend :biggrin: :biggrin:
Haha, thanks. I went on a summer school in Oxford last year and the end of week dinner was in Keble's hall, and it was really pretty. I also like the 'ugly' red brick buildings :smile:

And thanks. that's quite reassuring. :smile: It's just that loads of people on this thread, despite being state educated, seem to have had soooo many more opportunities than me, and generally seem more intelligent, which from the sheltered educational experience I've had so far in life is kind of scary. But yeah, if in doubt, Google translate is your friend :biggrin: :biggrin:

You got an offer from Oxford; the selectors don't give out those lightly, and they don't make mistakes. It doesn't matter where you're from, or what opportunities you had, you're just as intelligent as anyone else in the university - possibly more so, if you've come from a more difficult background.

This goes for all of you, actually. Even if you don't get the results you're hoping for, even if you never actually make it to the college of your choice, the fact you got an offer in the first place means you've proved yourself already. Be proud of yourself, you are all awesome :h:
Reply 2546

When Keble was first built there was a secret society founded at St John's, entry to which was made by stealing a brick from Keble's buildings, the idea being eventually to take the whole thing apart. I had an interview in their obligatory modern building, which is one of the weirder ones too.

And don't worry about other people looking intelligent; especially on TSR it's really more geekishness than anything else. Just don't use Google Translate on Latin! :p:
Original post by dbmag9
When Keble was first built there was a secret society founded at St John's, entry to which was made by stealing a brick from Keble's buildings, the idea being eventually to take the whole thing apart. I had an interview in their obligatory modern building, which is one of the weirder ones too.

And don't worry about other people looking intelligent; especially on TSR it's really more geekishness than anything else. Just don't use Google Translate on Latin! :p:

That is a very good tip, it is pretty terrible. Cant even translate titillandus.
Reply 2548
Original post by zigzog7
That is a very good tip, it is pretty terrible. Cant even translate titillandus.

In fairness, Google Translate is (afaik) built on a statistical system, which means rather than trying to program vocabulary and grammar rules into it explicitly it's just fed masses of translated text and tries to figure it out by itself. It works very well for the common european languages because the EU translates almost everything, providing it with a massive corpus. If you try well-known Latin phrases it's pretty good, but individual words not so much (especially in awkward forms like the gerundive).
Reply 2549
Original post by dbmag9
In fairness, Google Translate is (afaik) built on a statistical system, which means rather than trying to program vocabulary and grammar rules into it explicitly it's just fed masses of translated text and tries to figure it out by itself. It works very well for the common european languages because the EU translates almost everything, providing it with a massive corpus. If you try well-known Latin phrases it's pretty good, but individual words not so much (especially in awkward forms like the gerundive).

That sounds similar to doing Oxford's Language Aptitude Test! "In Classical Armenian..." :eek:
Original post by dbmag9

This is true, but I would expect it to know titillandus as it is part of the hogwarts motto (draco dormiens nunquam titillandus, never tickle a sleeping dragon)
Reply 2551
Original post by Mellete
That sounds similar to doing Oxford's Language Aptitude Test! "In Classical Armenian..." :eek:

I remember briefly looking at that test and thinking how fun it looked. Same for language olympiads and stuff.

Original post by zigzog7
This is true, but I would expect it to know titillandus as it is part of the hogwarts motto (draco dormiens nunquam titillandus, never tickle a sleeping dragon)

Yeah, I was surprised it hadn't got it from there, but I guess the corpuses (not 'corpora', thank you) they feed it are classical texts rather than whoever mentions Latin on the internet. And anyone would have a hard time figuring out grammar from 'never tickle a sleeping dragon'; it's a fairly loose translation.
Original post by dbmag9
I remember briefly looking at that test and thinking how fun it looked. Same for language olympiads and stuff.

Yeah, I was surprised it hadn't got it from there, but I guess the corpuses (not 'corpora', thank you) they feed it are classical texts rather than whoever mentions Latin on the internet. And anyone would have a hard time figuring out grammar from 'never tickle a sleeping dragon'; it's a fairly loose translation.

It is, but quite a lot of translations need anglicising so that they make more sense to us.
all you lot pretty confident with your offers?
Reply 2554
Original post by zigzog7
It is, but quite a lot of translations need anglicising so that they make more sense to us.

Well, less about making sense and more about sounding natural ('a sleeping dragon is never to be tickled' makes sense, but sounds weird), but I take your point.
Original post by dbmag9
Well, less about making sense and more about sounding natural ('a sleeping dragon is never to be tickled' makes sense, but sounds weird), but I take your point.

I'm not especially good at english, thats exactly what I meant.
Original post by bogstandardname
all you lot pretty confident with your offers?

No.
Reply 2557
Original post by tommy1311
No.

:ditto:
Original post by micky022
фор ехампле, тчис ис цыриллиц ат итс бест. и тчинк. и чопе...
why is h a ч? it's a х. being a Russian, our accent would pronounce this as зыс, BTW, though that's not completely relevant.
good luck with that, anyway!

On a different note:
I printed off all the forms today (going to be so angry on the 18th if I did that too early, but I won't have access to a printer then and I'm too lazy to go to an Internet café), and one of them was about the arrival day, which is stated as Monday the 3rd between 9 and 12 AM. Somewhere else, however, I read that Fresher's starts on Sunday the 2nd. What am I supposed to believe?
Reply 2559
Original post by MrCarmady
I printed off all the forms today (going to be so angry on the 18th if I did that too early, but I won't have access to a printer then and I'm too lazy to go to an Internet café), and one of them was about the arrival day, which is stated as Monday the 3rd between 9 and 12 AM. Somewhere else, however, I read that Fresher's starts on Sunday the 2nd. What am I supposed to believe?

0th Week starts on the 2nd (Oxford weeks start on Sundays), but different colleges will have people arriving at different times (understandable if you've encountered Oxford's road system). Believe what you're told by your college. The impression I get (please correct me, people who've actually been through this) is that most of the freshers' stuff is done by college anyway, so don't worry that you're going to miss out on anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending