The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Thank you all for the prayers for repose, I tried to multi-quote you all but it doesn't seem to work
Reply 2561
Original post by Ethereal
In fairness one of the admins/staff is Christian, he just isn't RC.

I know that RK is a friend of yours...and he's a really nice bloke too. However, he was first a ong-time member of TSR before being recruited to a staff position whereas the person I mentioned was employed as a member of staff from the outset.
Original post by yawn
I know that RK is a friend of yours...and he's a really nice bloke too. However, he was first a ong-time member of TSR before being recruited to a staff position whereas the person I mentioned was employed as a member of staff from the outset.

I was just pointing out there are some sympathies up there :smile:

Who were you refering to?
Reply 2563
Original post by Ethereal
I was just pointing out there are some sympathies up there :smile:

Who were you refering to?

I'll pm you. I don't want to be too indiscreet in the public arena. Once you know who it is, you will understand my grave concerns at his involvement in TSR societies.
Original post by yawn
The trouble is that this sort of ethos starts at the top and cascades down. When you have one of the administrators who is high profile on TSR and who belongs to TSR Atheist Society, it's no wonder that more is not done to deal with the matter. And why a member of the paid staff should want to belong to one of the societies is beyond me. :confused: I wonder if the owners are aware...

The problem with deserting TSR is that it's then left to the worst elements to spread their propaganda to an easily manipulated population.

Yep, you're right. Just damn depressing at times. Could I have some prayers to help me discern what God is trying to tell me to do please.

Uber confused at the moment.
Fireworks here for celebration of the Feast of the Assumption. Very good!
Not as Catholic as many here but proud nonetheless! Come on fellow catholics! haha
Original post by Invictus_88
Fireworks here for celebration of the Feast of the Assumption. Very good!

:woo: Super surprised anyone in England is doing anything like that!

Original post by Silver Aurora
Not as Catholic as many here but proud nonetheless! Come on fellow catholics! haha

:hi: Welcome to the society :woo:
Prayers said for Ethy and Adam :smile:

Original post by Silver Aurora

Welcome to the society :hi:

If I'm allowed here I'm sure there's room for you too :biggrin:
Original post by adamrules247
:woo: Super surprised anyone in England is doing anything like that!

I would be too, this is in France. Poor old England.
I would be too, this is in France. Poor old England.

Haha, I see. Still France can be a pretty secular place at times. I was disappointed with our preist when we celebrated the assumption. He came out in Marian vestments, good. He picked some wonderful Marian hymns, also good. But then the homily was about the new English translation of the mass. He could have picked any day he wanted but instead chose to do it on one of the most important Marian Holy days in the Church. I'm seriously considering writing my own homily :angry:
Well, better discern your vocation and get through seminary asap! :biggrin:

My French isn't good enough for me to follow the homily here, but heigh ho. Fireworks in the evening, all good.
Reply 2572
Yep, you're right. *Just damn depressing at times. Could I have some prayers to help me discern what God is trying to tell me to do please.

Uber confused at the moment.

If you do feel that God is calling you to a vocation, you are not alone in having to decide whether that is what you will do.:smile:

Every seminary has a procedure of discernment, and sometimes it happens that it is mutally agreed that one's vocation is not to be a priest. I know of three or four young men who were sure that they had a vocation; once they had spent some time in a seminary going through the discernment process, both sides agreed that they did not have a vocation.

I'm sure you know all this though since you would have been making tentative enquiries...but I'm sure that every member of this Society will join me in praying for you. Place all your trust in Jesus for now.

* Don't let the ****** get you down. Follow the example set us by Christ.

God bless, my dear friend.
Well, better discern your vocation and get through seminary asap! :biggrin:

My French isn't good enough for me to follow the homily here, but heigh ho. Fireworks in the evening, all good.

Funny thing is that I am seriously considering going to seminary :colondollar:
Reply 2574
Funny thing is that I am seriously considering going to seminary :colondollar:

This is a start to help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocational_discernment_in_the_Catholic_Church

Yeah, I know it's wikki but that doesn't alter the factual information :wink:

:hi: Welcome to the society :woo:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

If I'm allowed here I'm sure there's room for you too :biggrin:

Thank you! Why wouldn't you be allowed here? aha:smile:
Original post by yawn
If you do feel that God is calling you to a vocation, you are not alone in having to decide whether that is what you will do.:smile:

Every seminary has a procedure of discernment, and sometimes it happens that it is mutally agreed that one's vocation is not to be a priest. I know of three or four young men who were sure that they had a vocation; once they had spent some time in a seminary going through the discernment process, both sides agreed that they did not have a vocation.

I'm sure you know all this though since you would have been making tentative enquiries...but I'm sure that every member of this Society will join me in praying for you. Place all your trust in Jesus for now.

* Don't let the ****** get you down. Follow the example set us by Christ.

God bless, my dear friend.

Thanks you :smile: Abd thank you for the wiki page as well.

Good news though, you might remember me ages ago telling you my sponsor said I should contact this amazing Ozzie priest she knows and I emailed him and he said I should get Skype to speak to him. Well I finally got Skype and spoke to him :party: Will be speaking to him later as well after he asked me in the first conversation to send him a biographical email, so a fair bit to talk about
Fellow Catholics, is it wrong that I feign my belief in God because I enjoy being a part of the Catholic Church, its history and its legend? I consider the Bible to be excellent mythology on par with other great texts and stories produced by different religions and am not an atheist more an agnostic.
Original post by Anna_Karenina
Fellow Catholics, is it wrong that I feign my belief in God because I enjoy being a part of the Catholic Church, its history and its legend? I consider the Bible to be excellent mythology on par with other great texts and stories produced by different religions and am not an atheist more an agnostic.

Actually there's a terribly interesting theological question there about taking the Eucharist (if you do). I'll get back to you in good time but I really must go and read something now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending