The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carcinoma
Even at the inferior:rolleyes: Peninsula, we covered half/most of that in first year. :tongue:

You've really got quite a complex going on, haven't you?

Anyway, buzzcat, in addition to John Locke's excellent post (which I mostly understood but had forgotten the vast majority of the molecular level stuff!), the general consensus is that the principal action of digoxin in AF is to slow the ventricular rate by slowing conduction at the AV node, I think predominantly through its actions on the Na/K ATPase. It is not used to cardiovert a patient back into sinus rhythm - you want amiodarone, flecainide (in certain circumstances) or electricity for that.

Whether digoxin should be used before, after or alongside beta blockers for rate control in various groups of patients is controversial and something even most cardiologists can't agree on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Even at the inferior:rolleyes: Peninsula, we covered half/most of that in first year. :tongue:

By 'half' do you actually mean you covered the Na+/K+/ATPase pump?
Original post by fairy spangles
Im gonna burst your special bubble lol.....
I am special aswell!
This happened to me.

Oh dear does someone not like me being special - haha!!
Original post by buzzcat
What the!?? How are you so wisened at such an early age sir? That's an incredible amount of detail just for some introductory cardiac physiology lectures - I assume you're at a research centred university, and given your pseudonym, a British institution - Ox/Cam?? At Imperial they briefly mentioned NaKATPase then the term vanished faster than Latin itself...

Seriously? I thought all universities went into the details or cardiac regulation mechanisms etc.
John Locke i wonder if you go to the same medical school as me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
You've really got quite a complex going on, haven't you?

No, Its definitely sarcasm.
Reply 5065

lol I heard Pennisula got shut down?? :curious:

Well, I know that you don't think Peninsula is inferior. I also know that most people on here (excluding applicants) don't either, but it seems that you think they do and have to rush in to defend it/its methods at any opportunity, even when no insult has been made. Just a passing observation - I know I've felt I have to do the same about Oxbridge in the past.
I understood none of that cardiac stuff. Thank goodness for iBSc and delaying fourth year.
I have all that to look forward to next year :afraid:
Original post by Kinkerz
Some lowly Keele students without the hours and hours of lectures can piece most of that together :wink:

You ruined my reflection :frown:

Having done a year of clinics, I do wonder show I sat through 2 years of lectures. Although I am begining to see method in the donkey work.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I understood none of that cardiac stuff. Thank goodness for iBSc and delaying fourth year.

Your love of orthopaedics? :wink:

You keeping well?
Original post by buzzcat
lol I heard Pennisula got shut down?? :curious:

....****, I hope not! You'd think they'd tell us... :tongue:
Original post by Helenia
Well, I know that you don't think Peninsula is inferior. I also know that most people on here (excluding applicants) don't either, but it seems that you think they do and have to rush in to defend it/its methods at any opportunity, even when no insult has been made. Just a passing observation - I know I've felt I have to do the same about Oxbridge in the past.

There is nothing wrong with widening awareness and education.

If it comes across defensive, then my bad. I was aiming for humorous conversation.
Nothing wrong with being defensive especially if it's to try and repair common misconceptions about your med school.
Original post by Wangers
Half the problem in medicine is the latin. Dermatology for instance, stick anything latinate onto the end of erythema and you're onto a possibility.

This was said during a talk from an ex UCL student, at their open day many moons ago. Is it some sort of UCL anecdote haha?
Original post by Stanley90
Nothing wrong with being defensive especially if it's to try and repair common misconceptions about your med school.

That's a futile mission.
It's good to see some medical discussion in the Med soc for once haha,
but the obligatory "my med school does/doesn't..." chat of course reared it's ugly head straight after.
Original post by Dr. Hannibal Lecter
It's good to see some medical discussion in the Med soc for once haha,
but the obligatory "my med school does/doesn't..." chat of course reared it's ugly head straight after.

Because an assumption was made that what was being discussed was somehow beyond the level of all/most medical students and medical schools.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kinkerz
That's a futile mission.

You sound like you've spent the best part of your life trying but failed o:
Because an assumption was made that what was being discussed was somehow beyond the level of all/most medical students and medical schools.

WE LIVE FOR THIS

Latest

Trending

Trending