The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joemullally
Fair doo's

I don't see a massive increase in the number of students taking four A2's this year though so the average UCAS points shouldn't shoot up too much ?
I don't know. It all seems a bit silly.

Yeah i guess :smile:
It's all a risk to be honest - the whole UCAS application
Can't dwell on uni choices too much now though or i'll never get round to writing my 1st draft of my ps :tongue: (yes i know i'm terribly behind.. :frown: )
Reply 2921
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Can't dwell on uni choices too much now though or i'll never get round to writing my 1st draft of my ps :tongue: (yes i know i'm terribly behind.. :frown: )

Don't worry about your PS, I'm quite behind as well :/ Been writing sentences on all my different experience, and keep scrubbing them out. Now I'm writing an actual draft, and it just isn't going well. I forgot how difficult this is!
Reply 2922
How are people applying for jobs? I've searched through the jobs at my two local hospital for around 2 months now and all of the HCA/lab assistant jobs all need at least a years experience as an HCA previously, even the bank wanted at least 3 months experience to join :/
Reply 2923
Ahh I have missed this thread :smile:

Done pretty much nothing productive apart from COD this summer lol :facepalm2:

Just got out and dusted the UKCAT + interview practice books. Hope to start properly looking through them this week. Anyone had theirs already? How'd it go?
Reply 2924
Original post by Tinth
How are people applying for jobs? I've searched through the jobs at my two local hospital for around 2 months now and all of the HCA/lab assistant jobs all need at least a years experience as an HCA previously, even the bank wanted at least 3 months experience to join :/

NHS jobs website - thats all I can suggest really! If you apply to enough, eventually you'll get one :smile: There are some posts which say no experience required, or like mine did, 'experience in a hospital environment required' which meant I could count all my work experience and voluntary work :smile:

AHH UKCAT TOMORROW :frown: Seriously soo scared right now. Don't feel prepared, but I haven't been improving at all these last few days, so there's nothing more I can do :/
Reply 2925
Original post by twelve
NHS jobs website - thats all I can suggest really! If you apply to enough, eventually you'll get one :smile: There are some posts which say no experience required, or like mine did, 'experience in a hospital environment required' which meant I could count all my work experience and voluntary work :smile:

AHH UKCAT TOMORROW :frown: Seriously soo scared right now. Don't feel prepared, but I haven't been improving at all these last few days, so there's nothing more I can do :/

Can you name some jobs that you were able to apply for? Cos I've looked quite a lot and every time I think I've found something, it says I need an NVQ in something or other. Thanks and good luck with UKCAT. :smile:
Original post by Tobia_s
Ahh I have missed this thread :smile:

Done pretty much nothing productive apart from COD this summer lol :facepalm2:

Just got out and dusted the UKCAT + interview practice books. Hope to start properly looking through them this week. Anyone had theirs already? How'd it go?

did much better in practise though. I was scoring like 800 averages in practice.

Original post by Tinth

Nhs Jobs. There's a few that say on the personal spec that NVQ's etc are desirable but not essential, then really sell the stuff you've done for your med app e.g. volunteering or ANY first aid certificates.
St.Johns is good for non clinical setting experience of patient care for example.
I even said in my HCA application that even though I've never had clinical experience I've had semi clinical exp through St.Johns allowing me to develop X,Y and Z
And an FAW is a recognised first aid qualification, so if you're applying for like lab work or whatever you can be a first aider if they require it which is desirable but they won't put it in the person spec(but there's some weird law that means if they have an A+E on site then they don't need first aiders, our lab still has them though).

Oh and if you're applying for Lab work, In my microbiol interview a lot of BY4 stuff came up.
Aseptic technique, spreading plates, the only experience I'd had doing microbiology etc.
Think about anything relevant you've ever done and use it to sell yourself.
Tl;Dr: sell yourself better than a dutch hooker and apply for everything relevant you can find, even if it doesn't sound to your tastes at first.

Original post by twelve
Don't worry about your PS, I'm quite behind as well :/ Been writing sentences on all my different experience, and keep scrubbing them out. Now I'm writing an actual draft, and it just isn't going well. I forgot how difficult this is!

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek

I'm on my 9th draft, been working on it for ages though, I think I've overdrafted though. I'm worried it sounds a little impersonal for a personal statement.

Oh and Twelve i'm not going to quote you again but best of luck tomorow.
You're probably more prepared than you feel.
I know I felt like crap the night before.

Original post by Eragon.
Can you name some jobs that you were able to apply for? Cos I've looked quite a lot and every time I think I've found something, it says I need an NVQ in something or other. Thanks and good luck with UKCAT. :smile:

Bank HCA
MLA micro
HCA in opthalmology
HCA (somewhere in wrexham in something i;'ve forgotten)
Relief telephonist( working the switchboard)
medical records clerk
receptionist
porter

didn't necesarily apply for all of the above but they'd all be usefull in their own way.

Those are all jobs i met the entry requirements for.
Thing is though just apply anyway, be cheeky and put yourself out there.
If you don't apply they wont consider you, the worst they can do is say no.
(edited 12 years ago)
^^ What a multiquote.. :rolleyes:

I'm actually feeling too nervous to draft anything for my PS until thursday.. :colondollar:
did much better in practise though. I was scoring like 800 averages in practice.

Can I ask, how you worked out your score in the practice tests?
Reply 2929
Are there any graduates on this thread? Please hola :smile:
Reply 2930
wait..do we have to write a brand new PS for the second time we apply? Cant we use the one from last year and edit/add things? :s-smilie:
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Can I ask, how you worked out your score in the practice tests?

according to the 600Q mocks and stuff mainly.
The other tests was my score per section
e.g. 20/25 = 80%
80%of 600 = 480+300 = 780
Reply 2932
Original post by 786girl
wait..do we have to write a brand new PS for the second time we apply? Cant we use the one from last year and edit/add things? :s-smilie:

You don't have to write a new one, but the way I see it - we didn't get in with our old personal statements, so why use it again?

I'm on my 9th draft, been working on it for ages though, I think I've overdrafted though. I'm worried it sounds a little impersonal for a personal statement.

Oh and Twelve i'm not going to quote you again but best of luck tomorow.
You're probably more prepared than you feel.
I know I felt like crap the night before.

Woahh, 9th draft?! I don't think I'd be able to do that many drafts without starting over again...

Thankyou! I hope you're right :smile:

Original post by Eragon.

Search for jobs under £20000pa, and look at the person specifications for each of them and as long as you meet the ESSENTIAL criteria, then apply. And blag your way in in your personal statement section thing. A lot of them you won't be qualified for, its true, but there will be some - bearing in mind, I had applied for about 12 jobs in the space of nearly three months before I got an interview and then a job.

I applied for jobs as HCA, assistants to occupational therapists/physiotherapists, and an activity worker. There are also things like secretaries, clerks, lab assistants. There are LOADS, but you just have to look carefully. Also, apply even if you have to travel a bit. I was restricting myself to my local hospitals, and then realised that I needed to widen my horizons a little bit - more jobs I apply for, more likely I'll get one of them. The one I have now is about a 25 minute drive away. Whereas there are other hospitals literally five or ten minutes away.
Original post by twelve
x

How'd the UKCAT go? :crossedf:
Reply 2934
Is it worth me applying in England this year? There are a few universities that only require ABB (or AB) at AH and that's what I have... I also have AAAAAB at higher...

I'm assuming that even though that's their requirement, I should've gotten AAA at AH?

Reason why I'm asking is I don't really know that much about admissions in England...
Original post by b-beauty
Are there any graduates on this thread? Please hola :smile:

yes, me. :smile:
Reply 2936
Original post by chrisbontnewydd
I was just looking around the forum, and happened to come across this post - I've just finished my first year on the MedSci course. I do feel as if I haven't met enough people from the other years on our course, I only know 2 people from other years - shocking!

I don't know, may be a little late considering the original post was in April? But the course is really good, and some of the lecturers are fantastic (especially Dr McVeigh... I think asfandbm will know what I mean!), and the uni is quite high in the league tables for our subject area (see my sig).

Thank you for replying - no worries, I've been out of the country for a while anyway, so haven't been on TSR. I decided not to apply, and stuck with the plan to reapply for medicine.
Okay cool, thanks for the advice! I think I may put it as my 5th option this year :smile:
What is the Uni like in general? Like, is it a fun place to be? Sorry, I don't know much about it! T

Woahh, 9th draft?! I don't think I'd be able to do that many drafts without starting over again...

Thankyou! I hope you're right :smile:

I'll be on my tenth by the end of the night to hand into my college refference tomorow for her to check.
It's changed a lot but it's essentially the same things in it.

How did the UKCAT go?
Reply 2938
Original post by 786girl

Yeah I reckon you can use the same one from last year and just like update it a bit :smile:

I've asked around a bit and response is usually that it's your p.s. and it doesn't have to change.

Writing a brand new one would just be depressing :s-smilie:
Reply 2939

That's a pretty good score :smile: well done!

Overall; did you find it harder than the one you did last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending