Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by xylar
the course is physics with theoretical

You'd best speak to the admissions tutors, and also hope come results day that there weren't enough people who met/exceeded the *exact* terms of their offer (exceeded would mean all A* if you have an AAAA offer - A*A*A*B does NOT count as having exceeded your offer.)

It probably depends on your subject combination too - I'm hoping that Physics (and Maths?) falls under those A*s, because there is NO way in hell they will let you in with a B in Physics. :tongue: But that's just me stating the obvious.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 961
Original post by arianex
You'd best speak to the admissions tutors, and also hope come results day that there weren't enough people who met/exceeded the *exact* terms of their offer (exceeded would mean all A* if you have an AAAA offer - A*A*A*B does NOT count as having exceeded your offer.)

It probably depends on your subject combination too - I'm hoping that Physics (and Maths?) falls under those A*s, because there is NO way in hell they will let you in with a B in Physics. :tongue: But that's just me stating the obvious.

hahahaha no my potential B is not my physics.... it is my further maths.... i felt like i screwed up one paper...
Reply 962
On what are based the offers?
Reply 963
Original post by Stodaire
On what are based the offers?

This looks to be another "How Do I Shot Web?" question. Don't you mean "on what basis are the offers made"?

If that's the case, a variety of things. Grades + subject combination - pretty dang crucial. Then after that, your personal statement and reference, because Imperial place so much emphasis on it. Your PS should cover the activities you do outside of academia as well...which is another contributing factor.
Reply 964
I have A in statistics, A* in Maths, A* in Further Maths and B in Physics will they accept me?
Reply 965
my offer is AAA, i got AAB, will I get in? what are the harder course to get in with lower grades?
Original post by xxc92
my offer is AAA, i got AAB, will I get in? what are the harder course to get in with lower grades?

Most likely you won't, what course are you applying for?
Reply 967
ah?? I applied to EEE, my friend who is in the same boat as I do applied to materials
Original post by xxc92
ah?? I applied to EEE, my friend who is in the same boat as I do applied to materials

From what I've heard EEE is very competitive and unfortunately you will get rejected if you don't meet your offer.
Reply 969
Original post by freefrag
From what I've heard EEE is very competitive and unfortunately you will get rejected if you don't meet your offer.

thanks! :frown:
Reply 970
Original post by xxc92

AAA for EEE? Goodness, the standard offer is A*AA, so you were -really- lucky to get lower conditions...dear oh dear. :/ And yes, freefrag was right about it being competitive - it's one of Imperial's most oversubbed courses.
Reply 971
Original post by arianex
AAA for EEE? Goodness, the standard offer is A*AA, so you were -really- lucky to get lower conditions...dear oh dear. :/ And yes, freefrag was right about it being competitive - it's one of Imperial's most oversubbed courses.

we dont have A* in our A-level system. A is the highest grade we can obtain and it is given by percentage.
Reply 972
BTW, just curious, besides EEE, is chem engineerng and civil engineering considered competitive as well?
Original post by xxc92
BTW, just curious, besides EEE, is chem engineerng and civil engineering considered competitive as well?

ChemEng definitely is as the standard offer is now A*AAA or A*A*A, and my acceptance letter stated that the course was oversubscribed by a factor of 10!
Civil engineering is also really competitive as A*A*A is the standard offer with A's in all A2 math modules including M1... found this on the Imperial website..
Reply 974
Original post by babuchang
ChemEng definitely is as the standard offer is now A*AAA or A*A*A, and my acceptance letter stated that the course was oversubscribed by a factor of 10!
Civil engineering is also really competitive as A*A*A is the standard offer with A's in all A2 math modules including M1... found this on the Imperial website..

Thanks! I am curious because, in fact, I applied to all three courses in imperial, and I firmed EEE offer in the end. Will imperial reject me straight away? Do you know how the admission officers deal with those cases? My friend applied to cambridge physics gets rejection as soon as he obtain the A-level results.
Original post by xxc92
Thanks! I am curious because, in fact, I applied to all three courses in imperial, and I firmed EEE offer in the end. Will imperial reject me straight away? Do you know how the admission officers deal with those cases? My friend applied to cambridge physics gets rejection as soon as he obtain the A-level results.

Hi sorry but I don't really understand what you mean.
If you mean that they will reject you because you applied to 3 different courses and firmed one,then no, they wouldn't.
Reply 976
Original post by xxc92

Well for most people who miss their offers slightly, Imperial will usually wait until A2 results are out before deciding on these "nearly-there-but-not" cases. If there are a great number of people who end up in the same boat as you, then there's a chance you could still get in...but it's just a lot better to have met/exceeded your offer because that gives you peace of mind, non?

Also, entry to Imperial's engineering courses is pretty dang competitive, full stop. Chem, EEE, Civil, Aero...doesn't matter. If you firmed EEE and didn't make the reqs for their offer, even if your grades are enough for other eng courses, it doesn't mean you'll automatically be transferred to get a place/offer for those. So if you failed to get in for EEE but still have the grades for Chem or something, because you opted for EEE, that Chem offer is null and void because you declined/rejected it. -_-
Reply 977
Original post by arianex
Well for most people who miss their offers slightly, Imperial will usually wait until A2 results are out before deciding on these "nearly-there-but-not" cases. If there are a great number of people who end up in the same boat as you, then there's a chance you could still get in...but it's just a lot better to have met/exceeded your offer because that gives you peace of mind, non?

Also, entry to Imperial's engineering courses is pretty dang competitive, full stop. Chem, EEE, Civil, Aero...doesn't matter. If you firmed EEE and didn't make the reqs for their offer, even if your grades are enough for other eng courses, it doesn't mean you'll automatically be transferred to get a place/offer for those. So if you failed to get in for EEE but still have the grades for Chem or something, because you opted for EEE, that Chem offer is null and void because you declined/rejected it. -_-

thanks arianex! I am really regretted that I did not meet the offer :frown:, I still want to have a try. That is why I firmed the imperial EEE. I have no choice but to wait till the A-level results out in the UK to see whether I am lucky enough to be reconsidered! It is really a long time to wait as I have been waiting for more than half a year!!
Reply 978
i have received an invoice from Imperial.... but i havent received my results yet..... does it mean anythign?
Original post by xylar
i have received an invoice from Imperial.... but i havent received my results yet..... does it mean anythign?

We are discussing it on this thread- EDIT: Thread isn't showing up, it's the formers thread on the Imperial forum.
A fair few of us have. Not sure if it means anything so I wouldn't get the hopes up. I doubt Imperial would be THAT silly to let freshers know of the outcome before results :s-smilie:
Btw quick questionnaire:
Are you an international student?
Have you got/submitted your CAS?
What course?
:smile:
Trying to establish why some if us got the email and some didn't :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending