The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Teao the Cat
Okay, I give in. My response to the whole 'pagan abortion' debate, alongside what Hylean said about Paganism being the good and the bad together, not all fluffy bunnikins as some Wicca tends to be, is that why should I have a specifically Pagan response to it? My religion is in the way I live my life, and I firmly believe against forcing my beliefs on other people- therefore, whether I personally agree with abortion or not, it's not my place to try to convince anyone else of a pro-life or pro-choice stance.

+ 1. :biggrin:

On something of a related note, what do we think of reincarnation? I like the idea- life seems too fleeting for what it is. I'm generally of the belief that we go off to a summerland-ish resting place for a bit, and then pick a new life so we can add to our experiences, until we feel we have lived enough, and decide on staying in the resting place...

I don't really know what I believe for the whole after death thing. I'm not actually that bothered apart from one thing. I am absolutely positive that I will see my dogs again. It's the only way I can cope with losing them.

Going a bit off this topic.. But I can remember when I was very young (about 4) being told that animals couldn't go to Heaven because they didn't have souls. This caused years of anxiety for me because I couldn't comprehended the whole no souls thing (I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense! ) so I believed that my dogs ended up in Hell, as they weren't allowed into Heaven. So I didn't know what to do.. Whether to be a good girl and end up in Heaven but then I would never see my dogs again.. Or be bad and end up in Hell but I would be with my dogs..
It wasn't until I was 11 or 12 until somebody else told me that the no souls thing meant my dogs just ceased to exist so they wouldn't go to Heaven or Hell.

Yeah.. It probably isn't a surprise that I had issues with Christianity... (The above thing wasn't the only problem :tongue: )

Anyway, I think reincarnation is nice but I'm not really fussed... I don't see the point of worrying about what happens after death because it won't really stop it happening.. :tongue:

" No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. " Yes, it's corny.. But it's true.. :tongue:
Original post by Alpharius
Where did I say that. You are putting words into my mouth.

I'm not :')

You said she wasnt old enough to choose to be Pagan or whatever...but then what makes her old enough to choose atheism?
Reply 282
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
Hylean's own words.

Wow, you've really misunderstood my words. I said they can, not that they do. Especially not me.

Original post by HellOnHighHeels
I define it as an affiliation with the ''dark'' gods-Thor etc... and a preference to the darker witchcraft (I don't do spells etc)

Þór is a defender god, why do you consider him "dark"?

Surely Dark paganism would gravitate to destructive gods or beings, like the jötnar, the titans, satan, etc.?
holla! fellow wiccan/pagan here ^^ :3 yhh i too was C of E, christened as a baby n went sunday school ( i think it was methodist but it was like an all black church) until i was 12 cus i didnt think that type of church suited me. ( i prefered the mixed ethnic churches tbh) I accepted both evolution and the creation story as a kid. Then i learnt that my best friend was a witch, in yr 7, and i got intruiged with that and read up on it to see what it was all about. Now, i've always been a nature lover and i had always loved God and used to talk to trees and insects wen i was around 4 or 5yro( n on the odd occasion, i talked to this bush as if it were God lol) but then i found that some parts of the bible werent plausible to me and i had been an 'agno-christian' for a while. so when my friend told me about her religion (at the time- i think shes 'agno-christian' again, now), i was looking into it n it made alot more sense to me, especially since there's not one God named as male (and portaying patriarchy in this world) but that theres two- male AND female and revolved around nature and karma and love, plus the diversity of it so u cud be wiccan/pagan and agnostic at the same time. So i made my decision at 14/15 that i was to follow the pagan path. I was still calling myself christian cus at the time, i was still sorting out my beliefs and weighing out what was logical to me. I finally made the decision to be a wiccan about 3 years ago now (so 15-16yro) and was happy to put 'spiritualist' on my Cenus form :smile: (since i have alot of beliefs rolled into one so i just generalised it at the time lol). Now, i'm definately a wiccan, no ifs and buts about it and i don't regret it :smile:
Original post by pandaboo92
holla! fellow wiccan/pagan here ^^ :3 yhh i too was C of E, christened as a baby n went sunday school ( i think it was methodist but it was like an all black church) until i was 12 cus i didnt think that type of church suited me. ( i prefered the mixed ethnic churches tbh) I accepted both evolution and the creation story as a kid. Then i learnt that my best friend was a witch, in yr 7, and i got intruiged with that and read up on it to see what it was all about. Now, i've always been a nature lover and i had always loved God and used to talk to trees and insects wen i was around 4 or 5yro( n on the odd occasion, i talked to this bush as if it were God lol) but then i found that some parts of the bible werent plausible to me and i had been an 'agno-christian' for a while. so when my friend told me about her religion (at the time- i think shes 'agno-christian' again, now), i was looking into it n it made alot more sense to me, especially since there's not one God named as male (and portaying patriarchy in this world) but that theres two- male AND female and revolved around nature and karma and love, plus the diversity of it so u cud be wiccan/pagan and agnostic at the same time. So i made my decision at 14/15 that i was to follow the pagan path. I was still calling myself christian cus at the time, i was still sorting out my beliefs and weighing out what was logical to me. I finally made the decision to be a wiccan about 3 years ago now (so 15-16yro) and was happy to put 'spiritualist' on my Cenus form :smile: (since i have alot of beliefs rolled into one so i just generalised it at the time lol). Now, i'm definately a wiccan, no ifs and buts about it and i don't regret it :smile:

Welcome to the thread! :smile:
Original post by Pandora.
Welcome to the thread! :smile:

TY ^^ i thought i'd just stick with answering the original thread's question n not getting into this whole kufuffle of 'abortion' issues lol imo, every religion/belief system has ppl's different opinions and different ways of doing things n thinking of things, either on a large or smal scale. personaly, i'm pagan but i dnt believe in abortion to the point where the baby has a heart beat, a nervous system and/or a fully formed brain and so can feel, is conscious, alive and able to hear music, for example ^_^ but yhh whatever ppl's opnions are on it, that's theirs n not for anyone else to try n impose on :smile:
TY ^^ i thought i'd just stick with answering the original thread's question n not getting into this whole kufuffle of 'abortion' issues lol imo, every religion/belief system has ppl's different opinions and different ways of doing things n thinking of things, either on a large or smal scale. personaly, i'm pagan but i dnt believe in abortion to the point where the baby has a heart beat, a nervous system and/or a fully formed brain and so can feel, is conscious, alive and able to hear music, for example ^_^ but yhh whatever ppl's opnions are on it, that's theirs n not for anyone else to try n impose on :smile:

You made the best choice, the abortion debate was boring :bored:.
How do you usually celebrate the pagan festivals? :smile:
You made the best choice, the abortion debate was boring :bored:.
How do you usually celebrate the pagan festivals? :smile:

i know yhh, i was just seeing pages and pages of quotes and ppl going round in circles ahha being totally honest, i havn't really celebrated them because i kinda put it on hold to study more into wicca when i had exams at school and college to study for over the past 2-3 years :/ i did read in between exams abit, and i have conducted rituals to help others and myself, as a way of starting myself off in wicca but i've now recently been reading up the different sabbats and i celebrated Lammas by lots of baking and picking fruit off the trees for crumbles :smile: ^_^ how about you? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
i know yhh, i was just seeing pages and pages of quotes and ppl going round in circles ahha being totally honest, i havn't really celebrated them because i kinda put it on hold to study more into wicca when i had exams at school and college to study for over the past 2-3 years :/ i did read in between exams abit, and i have conducted rituals to help others and myself, as a way of starting myself off in wicca but i've now recently been reading up the different sabbats and i celebrated Lammas by lots of baking and picking fruit off the trees for crumbles :smile: ^_^ how about you? :smile:

Sounds good :h:
I haven't really been able to celebrate them that much. Hopefully the Autumn Equinox and Samhain will be good :biggrin:.
Suppose ill check in.

Pagan here.

Buddhist at least.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Suppose ill check in.

Pagan here.

Buddhist at least.

Hey :h:
Your sig is lovely :smile:
Hey :h:
Your sig is lovely :smile:

Thank you very much, White Tara is a bodhisattva that I have a particular reverence for, and it is a beautiful piece of art to boot.

How are we all?
Oooh, our first Buddhist! Hello!

Now no-one can tell us we're all just a bunch of people who can't make our minds up enough to follow any kind of organised religion!
Reply 293
Original post by BombshellBabe
Hey everyone! I'm just curious to know if there are any others out there with similar beliefs to myself or who would consider themselves to be part or these grouups who could share their experiences/beliefs and enlighten me on what it means to you :smile: But first I'll share with you my own pathway:

Before secondary school, I was a mild C of E Christian. I was in the church choir and sunday school. After joining secondary school and learning about Christianity in RE and about how loving the Christian God was, I decided to take it a step further and became confirmed in year 8. I have always loved people and nature and I was amazed at the things 'God' had created. I was young and naive and let's just say I didn't exactly read the small print. Anyway the school I went to was a Catholic school. You can probably see where this is going. We were all forced to do RE for GCSE and we followed a syllabus which basically was all about learning Lukes gospel word for word, then discussing the church's view on situiations in great depth. Oh and looking at crazy American evangelists. As if the syllabus wasn't enough to give me a bad impression of Christianity, after hearing what Catholics had to say about sex, abortion, homosexuality etc, I was outraged. How could the 'loving' God I had come to love through my 'faith' condemn the very people he created? (I also came out as bisexual around this point in time). I will never forget the lesson I ripped the cross and chain off my neck, stood on it and ran out for air. Which, looking back was kinda stupid because the gardens at my school were full of Mary and Jesus statues which made things worse. The God I once loved and admired, hated people like me who were OK with non-marital sex and OK with loving the same sex. I was totally lost. The next few months were the most confusing of my life so far. I rejected the God who rejected me, but I still admired the beauty of nature. It had a profound effect on me and I realised that this was where my beliefs were centred. Nature did not reject or judge, and it was beautiful and all-loving. And what's more, nature doesn't exactly care about sex before marriage or even homosexuality, because it is all natural :L So my curent beliefs centre around nature, its cycles, its balance, its purity, its power and its love :smile:

tl;dr I was Christian, went to Catholic school and it totally put me off. Now I'm Pagan :smile:

Now it's your turn :biggrin: x

I don't believe in a God of any description, nor do I think there is any such thing as spirituality, spiritual energy etc. Arguably sometimes more controversial than having new age pagan beliefs!
Reply 294
Original post by abc:)
I don't believe in a God of any description, nor do I think there is any such thing as spirituality, spiritual energy etc. Arguably sometimes more controversial than having new age pagan beliefs!

So you're here because...?
I have a diagnosis, you're native American.
Reply 296
Original post by Hylean
So you're here because...?

That belief system interests me, I grew up around a lot of people like that...i'm not like anti-it, I just don't believe in it.
Original post by Teao the Cat
Oooh, our first Buddhist! Hello!

Now no-one can tell us we're all just a bunch of people who can't make our minds up enough to follow any kind of organised religion!

Exactly, im one of the few Western Buddhist's I know, who doesn't seem offended by the notion that Buddhism is more than just a Philosophy, I recognise and revere my Bodhisattva's and Deva's quite nicely.

It's kind of sad that im the only really active Buddhist here though.
Sounds good :h:
I haven't really been able to celebrate them that much. Hopefully the Autumn Equinox and Samhain will be good :biggrin:.

yhh i cant wait ^_^:biggrin:
You mispelt "nutters" in your original thread title.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending