The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Fresh off the official markscheme... My teacher marks them: The whole markscheme is ridiculously harsh, to get marks you need to mention specific words in every answer and you cannot have the vague responses.

The ATP question only has two answers and you can't have it releases a small energy quickly or that it is easy.

The Selection answer was Directional.

Feather mites analysis question about the table you had to talk about the specific rows and not what the results showed overall.

The cat alelle question is straightforward... if you got it right you got it right there were no difficulties in it.

The Carbon cycle question you have to specifically refer to tree's use as a carbon sink and absorbing co2 through photosynthesis and removing the trees prevents them from doing this... You were not allowed to be vague.

Nitrogen cycle one: Marks for: Ammonification, Saprobates, Nirtifying bacteria, Nitrogen fixation, Ammonia- Nitrites- Nitrates.
Reply 1641
Original post by Philip_H
Fresh off the official markscheme... My teacher marks them: The whole markscheme is ridiculously harsh, to get marks you need to mention specific words in every answer and you cannot have the vague responses.

The ATP question only has two answers and you can't have it releases a small energy quickly or that it is easy.

Feather mites analysis question about the table you had to talk about the specific rows and not what the results showed overall.

The cat alelle question is straightforward... if you got it right you got it right there were no difficulties in it.

The Carbon cycle question you have to specifically refer to tree's use as a carbon sink and absorbing co2 through photosynthesis and removing the trees prevents them from doing this... You were not allowed to be vague.

Nitrogen cycle one: Marks for: Ammonification, Saprobates, Nirtifying bacteria, Nitrogen fixation, Ammonia- Nitrites- Nitrates.

did you have to actually include the words ammonification and nitrogen fixation in your answer? ... my points were:

- decomposers digest the dead matter by extra cellular digestion
- in doing so they convert the dead organic matter into ammonium ions
- ammonium ions are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
- nitrates can be used for protein synthesis or synthesis of nucleic acids in the plants.

also for the two reasons on ATP mine were:

-easily hydrolysed in a 1 step reaction, so immediate energy source
- released in small, manageable quantities so can be used quickly....???

plus do you have any other anwers: like the last one in the cat allele one, was the answer yes or no and why? cheers man
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1642

So what is the answer for the ATp features question then?
Reply 1643
Ya'll need to get the **** over this.
Reply 1644
Original post by SK-mar
did you have to actually include the words ammonification and nitrogen fixation in your answer? ... my points were:

- decomposers digest the dead matter by extra cellular digestion
- in doing so they convert the dead organic matter into ammonium ions
- ammonium ions are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
- nitrates can be used for protein synthesis or synthesis of nucleic acids in the plants.

Would have thought that to be right until he said that to get the marks all you need was the key words.

also for the two reasons on ATP mine were:

-easily hydrolysed in a 1 step reaction, so immediate energy source
- released in small, manageable quantities so can be used quickly....???
I put the same... but he said I wouldn't get the marks.

plus do you have any other anwers: like the last one in the cat allele one, was the answer yes or no and why? cheers man
I can't even remember the question...He couldn't access the markscheme at school so he was saying the questions he remembered

In the quote.
Reply 1645
In the quote.

how would those ATP points not get the mark??? .... I wouldn't know what else to put even now when i can look at the text book. our answers are text book answers lol? ..... this has made me even more worried haha.... what did he say to put then?
Reply 1646
Original post by SK-mar
how would those ATP points not get the mark??? .... I wouldn't know what else to put even now when i can look at the text book. our answers are text book answers lol? ..... this has made me even more worried haha.... what did he say to put then?

He didn't. He just told me that i didn't get the marks.
Reply 1647
He didn't. He just told me that i didn't get the marks.

pfft wow... thats harsh man..... so did you say exactly what i put? cos my answers did include all the scientific terminology etc.... only other things i can think of are:

atp cant pass out of the cell and atp can release its phosphate to other molecules in the cell. but they aren't as important as the other two things really. well they're not more important anyway... and in other mark schemes asking the same question our answers are perfectly fine???
Reply 1648
Original post by Superlogon
square route of 0.2 is 0.04. 0.04 x 100 (to get the percentage) = 4%

how did you get 16% ? :frown:

squear roots of 0.2 isn't that 0.4472135? i am confused
Original post by leo123
squear roots of 0.2 isn't that 0.4472135? i am confused

they meant 0.2 squared is 0.04
because (i cant quite remember the question) p was 0.2 , so you square it to get p^2 ...
i am dreading results day >.<

hopefully grade boundaries on this paper will be reasonable as i messed up BIOL5!!!
Reply 1651
Original post by coffee345
i am dreading results day >.<

hopefully grade boundaries on this paper will be reasonable as i messed up biol5!!!

sameeeee!
Reply 1652
boundaries are out - 57 A*, 53 A, 49 B - they're very high :redface:
Original post by SK-mar

please, 76% is supposed to be a mid B not an A* so i consider the grade boundaries very generous of AQA regardless of previous years. I am grateful
Reply 1654
Original post by SK-mar

What was the paper out of and are those UMS or raw marks?
Reply 1655
Original post by Milk <3
please, 76% is supposed to be a mid B not an A* so i consider the grade boundaries very generous of AQA regardless of previous years. I am grateful

yeh but you do take previous years into account and in general this paper is notoriously hard, hence my surprise as to how high they've become.
Reply 1656
Original post by mkb230
What was the paper out of and are those UMS or raw marks?

paper was out of 75, they are raw marks.
Reply 1657
Original post by SK-mar
paper was out of 75, they are raw marks.

FML :mad: How do they expect us to get A's and B's when the grade boundaries are so high. Maybe we should switch positions and see how they like it when we set a ridiculous paper and then stupidly high grade boundaries.
Can I borrow some rope please
Original post by Milk <3

Shut up

Quick Reply

Latest