The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
I loved this exam. Did sleep, relationships and cognitive and everything that they asked was what I had predicted to come up. Needed a high C for an A overall so would be very disappointed if I didn't get that.
I thought everyone would be a bit more positive than what I've read on here!
I know this was almost a week ago now but whatever:smile:..

I saw a post when i was reading through here earlier, but can't seem to find it now, saying that in relationships they only got time to talk about childhood experiences..

I had exactly the same problem for both relationships and aggression.

I felt pretty confident and relieved, to say the least, with the questions but..

Relationships
I started off intending to write about both childhood and adolescent experiences, but by the time i'd finished childhood i'd spent half an hour on it and decided it was best not to start on adolescent experiences as i'd run out of time to answer the other questions.
Aggression
I had the same problem really, intending to write about neural (sertonin, dopamine etc) and hormonal (testosterone and cortisol) but ran out of time after finishing neural :/

I feel that what i wrote was pretty detailed, well structured and good quality, but will i get less marks for just talking about one than if i'd of talked about them both? Baring in mind the questions both said 'and/or' meaning you could talk about just 1 or both?

Really gutted as they were 2 of the few topics i had actually revised!
AQA should really allow longer for this exam!

Hope you all get the grades you need!
I'm hoping for low grade boundaries again, although its not looking too promising! haha:smile:
Reply 1802
Original post by deanplmr
I loved this exam. Did sleep, relationships and cognitive and everything that they asked was what I had predicted to come up. Needed a high C for an A overall so would be very disappointed if I didn't get that.
I thought everyone would be a bit more positive than what I've read on here!

How do you know you need a C for an A?
Original post by mr123
How do you know you need a C for an A?

If the OP has say 3 A*s then averaging them all out a C would only drop it to an A. Depends on the points of each module!

I know for me, if I wanted an A overall I would need 95% on the exam just done, but if I wanted a B I could get an A/B/C/D on the paper! An E or less though would drop it to a C overall.

(I had an A last year and a C, which was only 3 marks off a B, in January)
Reply 1804
Original post by Stephhcharlene
If the OP has say 3 A*s then averaging them all out a C would only drop it to an A. Depends on the points of each module!

I know for me, if I wanted an A overall I would need 95% on the exam just done, but if I wanted a B I could get an A/B/C/D on the paper! An E or less though would drop it to a C overall.

(I had an A last year and a C, which was only 3 marks off a B, in January)

So you need a C in this paper for a B overall? I'm confused, sorry.
I was just wondering cos i need an A overall but i don't think i'll get it.
I got a low A in macro last year, and a mid B in Micro last year, and i think I'll probs get a C in micro this year and a high B in macro. So this probably means i wont get my A?
Original post by mr123
So you need a C in this paper for a B overall? I'm confused, sorry.
I was just wondering cos i need an A overall but i don't think i'll get it.
I got a low A in macro last year, and a mid B in Micro last year, and i think I'll probs get a C in micro this year and a high B in macro. So this probably means i wont get my A?

It depends on the actual UMS points!

Last year I got something like a B(78) and an A(83). These average to 81% so an A. This year I got a 67(C) so adding that on etc. I am not sure specifically which grades but I pretty much know I have a B...
But 67+83+78 = 228 -- 228/300 is 76% So a B at the moment! If I got dead on a C in this paper (60) I would end up with 72% still... I need to get no less than 52%(D) in this paper for a B overall (Giving me dead on a B 70%). So if I got less than 52 on the recent paper I would get a C, if I get 52 or more, I get a B overall :smile:
has anyone got an essay on 'Discuss the Biosocial Approach to gender development' :smile: any help would be great thanksssssss :biggrin:
Reply 1807
The Grade Boundaries have been published guys!

it dosen't seem too bad for Unit 3 (in my opinion) :smile:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JUNE11.PDF

(You can find them on Page 16)

x
Original post by TGBuble
The Grade Boundaries have been published guys!

it dosen't seem too bad for Unit 3 (in my opinion) :smile:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JUNE11.PDF

(You can find them on Page 16)

x

OMG you've just stopped my panick attacks...im sooo relieved.:colondollar: thanks for taking your time to post this
Reply 1809
Original post by holachica!
OMG you've just stopped my panick attacks...im sooo relieved.:colondollar: thanks for taking your time to post this

No worries! I'm glad I've helped :smile:
How did everyone do? I got an A overall, but a C on this module. The fact I let myself down at the last hurdle for me puts a bit of a dampener on things-- I broke my chain of As! I know I sound like a petulant toddler, but I'm off to uni to do psy so this wasn't the best way to go. I was considering a remark or recall of my script but not even sure it's worth the money, just want to know where I went wrong
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1811
I got a B overall, but managed 100% on this paper!! Really chuffed because I struggled with the other modules "/
any advice on how to revise for this paper guys?

Im going to be sitting it in january and there is so much to remember...

im picking Sleep/Relationships/aggression and eating disorders as well just to be on the safe side..

Does anyone have any revision notes or anything that they used to revise?

Whats the best tactic for revision? Someone mention essay plans and practice questions?
I got a B overall, 10 UMS off an A - lost me my place on the course at Southampton I wanted, but managed to get on another similar one there (:
I surprised myself with this module, I got 92/100!!
Original post by Emmaayziing
I got a B overall, 10 UMS off an A - lost me my place on the course at Southampton I wanted, but managed to get on another similar one there (:
I surprised myself with this module, I got 92/100!!

how did you revise? what method did you use?

any tips would be helpful for myself come january as I sit this paper!

I would be very grateful :smile:
Reply 1815
Original post by Mephestic
any advice on how to revise for this paper guys?

Im going to be sitting it in january and there is so much to remember...

im picking Sleep/Relationships/aggression and eating disorders as well just to be on the safe side..

Does anyone have any revision notes or anything that they used to revise?

Whats the best tactic for revision? Someone mention essay plans and practice questions?

I did different topics to you, but I literally got the textbook I used, then summarised it into my own notes, and then wrote essays on every individual topic... It sounds gruelling, but I got 100%... so it musta worked!
Best of luck to you! :smile: x
Original post by TGBuble
I did different topics to you, but I literally got the textbook I used, then summarised it into my own notes, and then wrote essays on every individual topic... It sounds gruelling, but I got 100%... so it musta worked!
Best of luck to you! :smile: x

Thanks mate I will try that!

How did you decide which questions to try revise for though? Or did you try do them all?

It seems if I try them all I may need to revise about 15 essay questions!
Reply 1817
Thanks mate I will try that!

How did you decide which questions to try revise for though? Or did you try do them all?

It seems if I try them all I may need to revise about 15 essay questions!

I made sure I had written at least one essay for each one, so that I had my bases covered.
I then took quite a large risk (as I had very little time) and listened to what people were predicting would come up on this thread (luckily, it did!)

Just make sure you are able to write SOMETHING about every topic without using notes, that way you're prepared whether you get 25mark questions or just 5markers :smile:
Does anyone recall which questions came up this June for paper 3?

Im trying to hedge my bets on what hasnt come up and with the latest paper not available yet Im unsure which questions to cross out.

anyone recall what the questions were for any of the topics they did>? would REALLY be helpful..I will give you a virtual kiss lol

:smile:
Does anyone recall which questions came up this June for paper 3?

Im trying to hedge my bets on what hasnt come up and with the latest paper not available yet Im unsure which questions to cross out.

anyone recall what the questions were for any of the topics they did>? would REALLY be helpful..I will give you a virtual kiss lol

:smile:

I wasn't gonna respond but the prospect of a virtual kiss was too much

Perception: Bruce and Youngs Model
Aggression: Biological approach
Eating Behaviour: One explanation of eating disorder (5) Evoutionary approach (20)

I got 95/100 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending