Scroll to see replies

How do I join? Should I join? I mean I like tech :biggrin:
Cool, thanks :yep:

Original post by blueray
How do I join? Should I join? I mean I like tech :biggrin:

You mean the society or..?
Reply 9542
Original post by Tathrim
Surely your screen should have a 'native' resolution for it. I've got the same problem with my TV/monitor I'm using (the reason why I'm considering the Dell U2311). I use HDMI at the VGA native resolution because my TV has a HDMI port, and a mini-HDMI to HDMI (GFX card is a 560 Ti) wasn't that expensive.

It's not a resolution issue, or even a colour profiling issue. It seems to be more of a grayscale/contrast issue, but it's hard to explain without a photo or something. In any case, I've RMAed the cable, and shall be buying a replacement one in VGA flavour soon. :smile:

In other news, writing that last paragraph has alerted me that Firefox is using a US "English" dictionary. I am disappoint.
I have a sony bravia lcd 32 inch where is the dvi port??? I want to connect it to my pc's dvi port (the white coloured square on my graphics card?)
Reply 9544
Original post by blueray
I have a sony bravia lcd 32 inch where is the dvi port??? I want to connect it to my pc's dvi port (the white coloured square on my graphics card?)

TVs don't generally have dvi ports, either use vga or a DVI to HDMI adapter.
Success! I've connected my network hard drive through Linux to my Xbox! It's about ****ing time!
(edited 12 years ago)
Sony Vaio arrived today, 'tis good.

Also, I love the program F.lux, thanks to whoever brought it up here months back. Really does make the screen so much more gentle on the eyes.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Sony Vaio arrived today, 'tis good.

Also, I love the program F.lux, thanks to whoever brought it up here months back. Really does make the screen so much more gentle on the eyes.

I used it a while back too... however increased photo editing late at night has meant I regularly have to turn it off since the sudden change was worse than it being bright in the first place :p:
Original post by Jake9

Original post by Jake9
TVs don't generally have dvi ports, either use vga or a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Where do I get a DVI to HDMI adapter??? :s-smilie:
Oh god... The first virus I manage to get in about 10 years and it's on the work computer leaving me powerless to actually do anything.
Original post by alexsheppard11
I used it a while back too... however increased photo editing late at night has meant I regularly have to turn it off since the sudden change was worse than it being bright in the first place :p:

Ah yeah, it is a bit of a pain if you're doing that I would imagine. I have to turn it off if I'm watching films and Youtube videos too.

Original post by Wednesday Bass
Oh god... The first virus I manage to get in about 10 years and it's on the work computer leaving me powerless to actually do anything.

How are you powerless?
Ah yeah, it is a bit of a pain if you're doing that I would imagine. I have to turn it off if I'm watching films and Youtube videos too.

How are you powerless?

No admin access (most workplaces) = nothing/very little you can do to remove it.
Original post by Chrosson
No admin access (most workplaces) = nothing/very little you can do to remove it.

Not even run a portable version of an anti-virus software off a USB stick?
Not even run a portable version of an anti-virus software off a USB stick?

Depends on the virus. If it's using an exploit to elevate it to administrator privileges, there is nothing you can do short of also getting administrator privileges (potentially through the same exploit). The issue is that as a limited user, you (usually) have no rights (under the windows permissions system) to terminate other people's processes...and your portable antivirus is only going to have the same rights as you do.

Of course, if it's running as a process you own (i.e. no exploit), you are far more likely to be able to sort it, because anything it has done you are by definition able to undo.
How are you powerless?

As Chrosson said, I have no Admin access. And I can't log in on my account on safe mode.
Reply 9555
As Chrosson said, I have no Admin access. And I can't log in on my account on safe mode.

This is why I like working in a small business. :smile: No need for massive bureaucracy or the dreaded MS Exchange server.
Reply 9556
Original post by blueray
Where do I get a DVI to HDMI adapter??? :s-smilie:

AMazon? Ebay? anywhere really.
Original post by Dez
This is why I like working in a small business. :smile: No need for massive bureaucracy or the dreaded MS Exchange server.

It is a small business, but we outsource the IT support. There's only about 10 people work for the company.
Reply 9558
It is a small business, but we outsource the IT support. There's only about 10 people work for the company.

Oh dear.
Original post by Dez
Oh dear.

I think it's because my boss is pretty much afraid of computers when they go wrong. His computer was blue screening on start up yesterday so I suppose it's coming in handy having them on retainer at the moment.

To be honest, if I'd had proper access I would have sorted it myself. I hate how little control I have at work - I even have to use *shudder* IE8...

Latest