The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Oh for flying ****s sake! This has really done it now! I am scared for my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG

I actually cannot believe it. Slept in, woke up and suddenly realised the boundaries would be up. Rushed to check and now i literally want to die.
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme or a link to it so I an cry over all the marks I've lost please.
Noooooooooooooo... Noooooooooooooo...

Again..

Nooooooooooooooo..
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme or a link to it so I an cry over all the marks I've lost please.

Page 136

I have an unusual question and need help.

My situation is this:
I'm thinking of going in and talking to my teacher about a coursework paper I did (evaluation) in may.

At the time I had an issue and to cut a long story short, I was going to appeal about 2 marks I feel I should have got. Being busy at the time however, I decided to **** it and just get on with revision.

But after looking at the grade boundaries, I realised it may have cost me 6 UMS!

My question is it too late to appeal now?
Original post by Masderchef
Page 136

I have an unusual question and need help.

My situation is this:
I'm thinking of going in and talking to my teacher about a coursework paper I did (evaluation) in may.

At the time I had an issue and to cut a long story short, I was going to appeal about 2 marks I feel I should have got. Being busy at the time however, I decided to **** it and just get on with revision.

But after looking at the grade boundaries, I realised it may have cost me 6 UMS!

My question is it too late to appeal now?

Thank you.

I know you can get a priority remark for your exam papers but I have no idea if practical exams are included in it. It'd be best to ask your chemistry teachers tomorrow about appeal and the like, unless one of the TSR geniuses can answer if for you.
Reply 3206
thats a C from me then why is boundaries so high what gives ocr?
Original post by samzurai
thats a C from me then why is boundaries so high what gives ocr?

SAMMM!!! I am doomed mate LOL :biggrin:
Reply 3208
Original post by RodrigoB
SAMMM!!! I am doomed mate LOL :biggrin:

rodz mahmoud iz gonna kick my ass man! i might stay home and wait for my results :frown:
I can't understand how many people struggled and still the grade boundaries are high?

Well, I need a C for my insurance which is 150 UMS, so as I got 36/40 (50 UMS?) in practicals and I thought the F324 went well I should hopefully be able to get that. I wish I were able to get the 210 UMS for a B though.

Hopefully we are all in for a shock tomorrow and it turns out we do better than we think :biggrin:
Original post by samzurai
rodz mahmoud iz gonna kick my ass man! i might stay home and wait for my results :frown:

lol I am waiting for the results at home! LOOOOOOL
gotta start doing clearing faster LOOL
LOL madness
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3211
was wandering if someone could answer a couple of queries about some questions,

1- for the last questions, i didnt get any of the equations but got the 67.6%, will this be 6 marks assuming that each equation was worth 1?

2- could any acid be used for the buffers question becasue it didnt specify?

3- in the unofficial mark scheme there seems to be an oh- ion in the eqaution for the cell discharging, is this a mistake or have i missed something?

4- in Q2 writing the equation for step 1 i gave the other product as water not hydrogen gas as it says in the mark scheme, will this still be credited as the q didnt say hydrogen was made?

thanks in advance? :smile:
has the official ms been released??
Original post by cawse879

1- for the last questions, i didnt get any of the equations but got the 67.6%, will this be 6 marks assuming that each equation was worth 1?

3- in the unofficial mark scheme there seems to be an oh- ion in the eqaution for the cell discharging, is this a mistake or have i missed something?

4- in Q2 writing the equation for step 1 i gave the other product as water not hydrogen gas as it says in the mark scheme, will this still be credited as the q didnt say hydrogen was made?

It was such a long time ago but to 2 im pretty sure it gave the two organic acid/bases that you were supposed to use in the guff at the start of the question and for 4 because they're bitches they probably won't credit H2O buuuut this is the "unofficial" mark scheme...

1. If the question was worth 9 marks (I can't remember) then yes. I think getting 67.6% would be worth 4 marks at the very least.
2. Any acid would work. The wording hinted that you should choose a particular acid, but if they have any sense they should award marks for correct calculations involving any of the acids.
3. There's not a mistake I believe, it should be two ionic equations for the half-cells.
Reply 3215
link for clearing at Reading university?

Original post by Unkempt_One
1. If the question was worth 9 marks (I can't remember) then yes. I think getting 67.6% would be worth 4 marks at the very least.
2. Any acid would work. The wording hinted that you should choose a particular acid, but if they have any sense they should award marks for correct calculations involving any of the acids.
3. There's not a mistake I believe, it should be two ionic equations for the half-cells.

1. Agreed with Unkempt. Just getting the answer would warrant at least 4 ish marks.
2. Disagree here. Buffers have an effective range of action within 1 pH unit of their pKa. Ethanoic acid (I think) had the closest pKa to the "magic pH" by quite a bit, so it would be the most effective buffer and the ideal acid for the sweet. Any acid can be concentrated specifically to produce the "magic pH", but the buffering action is the main requirement.
3. There are two versions of teh fuel cell equations, one involving OH- and the other involving H2O. If I remember correctly, the exam requied the OH- one? :dontknow:
4. Water should be fine I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Every year loads of people come on these forums and moan about how hard the paper was or how they are going to get a E or U.

This paper was a joke. Worse than January. There were so many long answer questions and stuff that just didn't make any sense (e.g. Magic Tang). And yet the grade boundaries are the highest they have ever been. Either people didn't do that badly or the examiners/mark scheme is extremely lenient. I didnt even finish the paper and I seriously think I have got less than 30 marks :'(
Original post by INeedToRevise
Every year loads of people come on these forums and moan about how hard the paper was or how they are going to get a E or U.

This paper was a joke. Worse than January. There were so many long answer questions and stuff that just didn't make any sense (e.g. Magic Tang). And yet the grade boundaries are the highest they have ever been. Either people didn't do that badly or the examiners/mark scheme is extremely lenient. I didnt even finish the paper and I seriously think I have got less than 30 marks :'(

Exactly the same here. Tomorrow is going to be the worst day ever :emo:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blush.ox
Exactly the same here. Tomorrow is going to be the worst day ever :emo:.

Don't want to pay £9000 :cry2:

Quick Reply