The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

This time last year I was feverishly working on the most complicated and detailed picture I could manage in order to distract myself. It worked surprisingly well :wink:
Reply 2621
Original post by LtCommanderData
Not been on TSR for over a week - just caught up on this thread.

Surprisingly, I'm mostly feeling really tired (woke up early today). Thankfully, that's scuppered the idea of staying up all night, although there's no guarantee I'll be able to sleep tonight anyway!

It feels a bit like being on some sort of quiz show (such as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire), where I've been asked a question that I think I know the answer to, and if I get it right, I win a big prize, but if I get it wrong, I get nothing. So although I think I'll be OK, there's a chance it's all gone wrong, but I've had to wait weeks to find out if I was right or not. Now that it's so close to results day it's like Chris Tarrant is pressing his face against my window and taunting me, but still won't tell me if I was right or not.

Remember, I did say that I'm very tired!

:eek: You have actually just summed up how I am feeling EXACTLY. Congratz, I've been trying to work it out for days :tongue:
Reply 2622
Original post by LtCommanderData
Don't worry, the 'staying awake all night' idea occurred about two weeks ago when I thought "I bet I'll never be able to sleep on the 17th, maybe I oughtn't bother", but it was never really a serious plan. I'm definitely going to try to sleep!

Nothing wrong with not sleeping, it can be quite fun sometimes. Arm yourself with Coca Cola and snacks and stay for the inevitable all-night chat on this thread.
Reply 2623
Good luck everyone!! Hopefully, see you on the other side!! :smile:
Reply 2624
Original post by dbmag9
Nothing wrong with not sleeping, it can be quite fun sometimes. Arm yourself with Coca Cola and snacks and stay for the inevitable all-night chat on this thread.

'A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky
I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie...
...Sleepless' :eek2:
Original post by Mellete
'A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky
I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie...
...Sleepless' :eek2:

Sorry, this is a 2012 applicant stalking and invading again. Who wrote that? Oh, and best of luck all of you. Remember that when it comes down to it, you're all so much more than your grades. You're all such clever people that ultimately you'll succeed no matter where you go to uni.
Reply 2626
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Sorry, this is a 2012 applicant stalking and invading again. Who wrote that? Oh, and best of luck all of you. Remember that when it comes down to it, you're all so much more than your grades. You're all such clever people that ultimately you'll succeed no matter where you go to uni.

Wordsworth; first stanza and a bit from his ode "To Sleep"
Those optimists are all alike :rolleyes:

But, inspired by the Hardy in the 2012er's sig, I've decided to put a maths quote in mine, too. I'm going for:

A predilection for fantasy and whimsy is perhaps related to the ability of the mathematician to invent new mathematical concepts.

from http://www.ams.org/notices/200501/fea-dundes.pdf

I'll put it in after I've made some 'instant' hot chocolate...
I'm hoping that a netball victory in the dying minutes of the match and being player of the match for the first time EVER tonight will be a good omen for tomorrow.

either that, or all my luck has now been used up, and I'm doomed to faillllll and live forever bitter.

GOOD LUCK though everyone.
Original post by flywithemma
I'm hoping that a netball victory in the dying minutes of the match and being player of the match for the first time EVER tonight will be a good omen for tomorrow.

either that, or all my luck has now been used up, and I'm doomed to faillllll and live forever bitter.

GOOD LUCK though everyone.

I don't think luck works that way :tongue: Wooo, go you! What position do you play?
Original post by Incarnadine91
I don't think luck works that way :tongue: Wooo, go you! What position do you play?

If I get my way, GS. However my shooting was absolutely appalling tonight so I swapped to WA.
I don't really play seriously (my Mum is on the same team!), but it's so much better and more fun than when I used to play properly. I always got stuck with WD because the coach (who was also my PE teacher) really didn't like me :angry: :frown:
I need results know so I can know if next year will be spent punishing myself through the medium of rowing and living in fields with the UOTC :colonhash:
Reply 2632
*obligatory best of luck to everyone since I don't think I've said that yet*

Original post by micky022
I need results know so I can know if next year will be spent punishing myself through the medium of rowing and living in fields with the UOTC :colonhash:

What's your insurance? There's more than one UOTC around. Speaking of which, I'm still not sure if I want to go for OTC or URNU, but I guess that's a decision I can put off until Freshers'.
Original post by dbmag9
*obligatory best of luck to everyone since I don't think I've said that yet*

What's your insurance? There's more than one UOTC around. Speaking of which, I'm still not sure if I want to go for OTC or URNU, but I guess that's a decision I can put off until Freshers'.

My insurance is the Army haha. It's Warwick on UCAS, but it's Oxford or bust.
I hope that every single person who's posted on this thread gets the grades they need tomorrow.

Good luck, everybody!
If I get my way, GS. However my shooting was absolutely appalling tonight so I swapped to WA.
I don't really play seriously (my Mum is on the same team!), but it's so much better and more fun than when I used to play properly. I always got stuck with WD because the coach (who was also my PE teacher) really didn't like me :angry: :frown:

Awesome, WA was always my favourite. I'm not actually that good, but my stepmum played internationally once, so I was the only one that knew all the tactics and stuff and I got on the school team - for a while anyway, until everyone else caught on. She played GS, but I can't score for the life of me :biggrin: What's wrong with WD? I always preferred WA because I like to be on the attack, but either wing position was fine.

Don't you just love biased teachers?
Reply 2636
Original post by micky022
My insurance is the Army haha. It's Warwick on UCAS, but it's Oxford or bust.

How come? Warwick's a pretty awesome uni.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Awesome, WA was always my favourite. I'm not actually that good, but my stepmum played internationally once, so I was the only one that knew all the tactics and stuff and I got on the school team - for a while anyway, until everyone else caught on. She played GS, but I can't score for the life of me :biggrin: What's wrong with WD? I always preferred WA because I like to be on the attack, but either wing position was fine.

Don't you just love biased teachers?

Haha, it's funny, I was pretty much the worst one on my school/club team, but I'm the only one who still plays!

WD is just too...defensive! I'm really not too great at defensive marking, and I like being able to score goals :colondollar: in theory. Also WD was always the position where you got stuck if you were rubbish on our team, so it became associated with the feeling that nobody really cared if I played or not. :frown:

And urgh, yeah, I think it's something about PE teachers that makes them inherently unfair and biased :redface:
Haha, it's funny, I was pretty much the worst one on my school/club team, but I'm the only one who still plays!

WD is just too...defensive! I'm really not too great at defensive marking, and I like being able to score goals :colondollar: in theory. Also WD was always the position where you got stuck if you were rubbish on our team, so it became associated with the feeling that nobody really cared if I played or not. :frown:

And urgh, yeah, I think it's something about PE teachers that makes them inherently unfair and biased :redface:

Ah, I see. I was never in with a shot (haha) of scoring in the first place, and marking was the only thing I was ever good at. I got punched by the opposing player once for being "in her personal space" :biggrin: Mmm, that's a shame. My PE teachers were fine, apart from Miss Rallings who once locked me in the kit cuboard. In her defence, she didn't know I was in there at the time, but I was still stuck for 15 minutes...
Reply 2639
An enormous amount of good luck to everyone who will be getting their results later - I hope you'll all become future Oxonians within a few hours of now.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending