The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yawn
I have tried to make it clear that I am not interested in pursuing any conversation with you because you are not a practicing Catholic, but rather a disaffected one which is the worst type, who is trying to inveigle their way into this Society.

Please do not address me anymore as our Society is not set up for the purposes you are trying to access it for..

Wow, this was almost the exact same answer I received from the more vociferous atheists in their society. Unbelievable yawn, really. I thought there would be a real difference in attitudes here. Thankfully others are more accomodating.
Reply 2641
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thank you: a Novena if I get that far would be much appreciated!

The position is a part-time fixed contract job til April working as the Young Leadership Events Officer. There are two big youth events happening in the run-up to the Olympics: one in October and one in March, and they're looking for an extra pair of hands :smile:

Oh, that sounds like something you would be really good at as you seem very organised and certainly have the 'people skills' as well as the aptitude.

I so hope you get an interview, and don't forget about giving us the date of it if you do so as we...or I, at least, can start a Novena especially for your success. :smile:
Reply 2642
Original post by Anna_Karenina
Wow, this was almost the exact same answer I received from the more vociferous atheists in their society. Unbelievable yawn, really. I thought there would be a real difference in attitudes here. Thankfully others are more accomodating.

I recognise the attempts to impose feelings of guilt, expressing 'righteous indignation' and trying to isolate me from my fellow society members. I didn't 'come up on the down train.' :biggrin: I've also witnessed your hostility on other threads.

However, once again you need to be reminded, as you already have been by other members: This is a SOCIETY thread for all Catholics of good will to chat amongst ourselves about the things that bind us together.

No more baiting - or trolling - please.

Find somewhere more appropriate where you can share your attitudes and beliefs, as I'm sure you will feel far happier and more at home with those of similar minds. Good luck in your search. :smile:

*that is my last communication with you as I'm putting you on 'ignore' for your own good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I recognise the attempts to impose feelings of guilt, expressing 'righteous indignation' and trying to isolate me from my fellow society members. I didn't 'come up on the down train.' :biggrin: I've also witnessed your hostility on other threads.

However, once again you need to be reminded, as you already have been by other members: This is a SOCIETY thread for all Catholics of good will to chat amongst ourselves about the things that bind us together.

No more baiting please.

Find somewhere more appropriate where you can share your attitudes and beliefs, as I'm sure you will feel far happier and more at home with those of similar minds. Good luck in your search. :smile:

*that is my last communication with you as I'm putting you on 'ignore' for your own good.

I am a member of the Catholic Church. :dontknow:
Reply 2644
Original post by Addzter
People on here are so unwelcoming towards their fellow Catholics. :frown:

Remind me of how hostile you repeatedly are to both Catholics and all other theists on the Religion sub-forum and then to criticise our Society members of being unwelcoming is the epitome of hypocrisy, yes?

As you well know, disaffected Catholics are often the most hostile to their 'fellow' Catholics so much so that they exile themselves from a community that share common bonds of love and respect for God and their faith.

I can't understand why they would lurk here unless they wanted to create an unpleasant environment for the genuine Catholic. :confused:
Original post by yawn
Remind me of how hostile you repeatedly are to both Catholics and all other theists on the Religion sub-forum and then to criticise our Society members of being unwelcoming is the epitome of hypocrisy, yes?

As you well know, disaffected Catholics are often the most hostile to their 'fellow' Catholics so much so that they exile themselves from a community that share common bonds of love and respect for God and their faith.

I can't understand why they would lurk here unless they wanted to create an unpleasant environment for the genuine Catholic. :confused:

I'm not hostile to Catholics at all; I just like asking questions about the faith. People from other religions tend to answer them civilly, but you guys just get your backs up and become all defensive.

I know there are people who come in here with the aim of trolling just to see how you all react, but you have to ask yourselves, why is that? It's because of the way you answer questions. Even the most innocent inquiry is interpreted by you as an attack upon Catholicism.
Reply 2646
For the attention of members and potential members (who are eligible) of this society:

In the cases of those Christians who entirely abandon the faith into which they were baptised, it can be said that they no longer believe in Christianity and that their theological beliefs cannot be considered Christian. If they completely abandon their Christian faith, then they are apostates (cf. CCC 2089), though objectively they remain among the baptised.

Obviously, such people who were baptised Catholics are not eligible for members of our Society since they are apostates...or...heretics in the case of "the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same..."(CCC2089)
Original post by Anna_Karenina
I am a member of the Catholic Church. :dontknow:

Clearly you don't believe much of it though, so I would like to ask you to refrain from posting and go elsewhere. This is for people who believe. You do not believe aside from historical facts. This is for people who believe in God and that Jesus was the Son of God and that He rose again from the dead to redeem our sins.

Please don't post again, or I will feel the need to report your posts to the mods for movement elsewhere :smile:
Original post by yawn

St. Patrick's Missionary Society produce prayer cards that you can keep in your pocket or a bag or somesuch. They are small enough to keep with you all the time. They consist of 'The Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary" "The Stations of the Cross" and "Daily Prayers."

You can order them from their website: http://www.kilteganfathers.org/

Thanks for raising this, my friend, as it can be confusing for Catholics. :smile:

Thanks for this :smile: A friend at work actually gave me the Daily Prayers one when she realised I was unwell and needed comforting. I keep it in my Oyster card holder, so it's always with me :smile:

Job application sent :woo:
Quickly swinging back to my question two pages ago (I know, I know I'm not a Catholic and this is a Catholic society but this is a Catholic specific question and therefore I figured here would be easier to find an answer than the "Ask a Christian thread"):

Do any historically minded Catholics here know of any good Catholic resources (either books or online) with regard to the Orthodox/Catholic Schism and is there an official Catholic position/statement by the church on the matter?
Original post by big-bang-theory
Quickly swinging back to my question two pages ago (I know, I know I'm not a Catholic and this is a Catholic society but this is a Catholic specific question and therefore I figured here would be easier to find an answer than the "Ask a Christian thread"):

Do any historically minded Catholics here know of any good Catholic resources (either books or online) with regard to the Orthodox/Catholic Schism and is there an official Catholic position/statement by the church on the matter?

I'm afraid that this question does still belonging in the 'Ask a Christian' thread. There are Catholics there who can answer :yes:
Reply 2651
Thanks for this :smile: A friend at work actually gave me the Daily Prayers one when she realised I was unwell and needed comforting. I keep it in my Oyster card holder, so it's always with me :smile:

That's brilliant then, since you'll know how valuable they can be to one.

Job application sent :woo:

Well done! Look at interview tips from sources on the website and do your homework about the work and success of CAFOD particularly for the poorest in the developing countries. That way, you'll be able to formulate questions to ask them in return. I'm nearly as excited as you, and I've never even met you apart from the world of the 'ethernet.' Remember that we are all here to support you.

God bless. :smile:
Original post by yawn
That's brilliant then, since you'll know how valuable they can be to one.

Well done! Look at interview tips from sources on the website and do your homework about the work and success of CAFOD particularly for the poorest in the developing countries. That way, you'll be able to formulate questions to ask them in return. I'm nearly as excited as you, and I've never even met you apart from the world of the 'ethernet.' Remember that we are all here to support you.

God bless. :smile:

Thanks. Don't get too excited: I probably won't get it :o: It's just nice to see that there's a job going that I'm eligible for. I never quite know what to do with my life or whether I'll ever be healthy enough to hold down a proper job but I do get a feeling God is calling me to the charities sector. Part of me wants to be a university academic but I want to do something worthwhile, you know what I mean? :smile:

That's an extremely good question actually. I'll list you some Catholic historians. Whether they write on the great schism is beyond me but they might do and their names may well lead you somewhere.

Warren Carroll (who sadly died last month)
Seumas McManus
Hillarie Belloc
Timothy O'Donnell
William Thomas Walsh
Thomas Wood
Eamon Duffy
Christopher Dawson

Now I don't think any of them write on the schism, but looking into their names and works may well lead you somewhere. Another alternative is to sign up to a Catholic website (Catholic Answers is probably the best) and ask their.
Original post by adamrules247
That's an extremely good question actually. I'll list you some Catholic historians. Whether they write on the great schism is beyond me but they might do and their names may well lead you somewhere.

Warren Carroll (who sadly died last month)
Seumas McManus
Hillarie Belloc
Timothy O'Donnell
William Thomas Walsh
Thomas Wood
Eamon Duffy
Christopher Dawson

Now I don't think any of them write on the schism, but looking into their names and works may well lead you somewhere. Another alternative is to sign up to a Catholic website (Catholic Answers is probably the best) and ask their.

Thanks muchly I shall continue nosing around till I find a good book.
Thanks muchly I shall continue nosing around till I find a good book.

Thanks. Hope that's of some help. Though in future may I direct you to the ask a Christian thread, you'll probably get a far better response :smile:
Clearly you don't believe much of it though, so I would like to ask you to refrain from posting and go elsewhere. This is for people who believe. You do not believe aside from historical facts. This is for people who believe in God and that Jesus was the Son of God and that He rose again from the dead to redeem our sins.

Please don't post again, or I will feel the need to report your posts to the mods for movement elsewhere :smile:

Well then firstly I would like you to contact the mods and ask if you can change both the name and front page of this society as they are botth very misleading. I suspect they will allow you to change it to 'believing catholics sociiety' because evidently you discriminate against and exclude certain members of the ca(holic church. (Of which I am) If you do not do this then I may even report yourself and yawn given that I am actually quite hurt by your unwelcoming and unhelpful attitudes.
My results were very wierd. I got an A in English :eek4:
A B in History :angry: (one mark off an A :cry:
I already had a C in law (oh why did I screw that last exam up but then not retake it)
And I've got a B in AS Politics, 2 marks off an A.
Original post by adamrules247
My results were very wierd. I got an A in English :eek4:
A B in History :angry: (one mark off an A :cry:
I already had a C in law (oh why did I screw that last exam up but then not retake it)
And I've got a B in AS Politics, 2 marks off an A.

Congratulations :woo: :party: :woo:
Congratulations :woo: :party: :woo:

Thanks :smile: Not as good as I would have liked, however it means that I may be able to get into the University of Exeter through the clearing process :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending