The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5780
Original post by G8D
No.

Power/screen resolution and even brand can affect whether and app works or not.

I see.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Zionic
Thanks. :biggrin:

Im on an old LG phone and I might be getting the Samsung Galaxy S2 soon. Never had a smartphone/android phone before. :tongue:

I had never had an Android/smartphone before getting the SGS2 and found it slightly overwhelming at first, but I've gotten used to it quite quickly.
Reply 5782
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I had never had an Android/smartphone before getting the SGS2 and found it slightly overwhelming at first, but I've gotten used to it quite quickly.

I see. Sounds good then. :smile: Howver, have you experienced any over hearing of the SGS2? :confused:
Original post by alex_hk90
Nah, I like HTC Sense so I'm running LeeDrOiD's HD port with Sense 3.0 add-on. :smile:

Icccc. Howz the battery life like relative to the original branding rom?
Reply 5784
Original post by Zionic
I see. Sounds good then. :smile: Howver, have you experienced any over hearing of the SGS2? :confused:

If you use pretty poorly coded games and programs (PES2011 comes to mind), then it becomes uncomfortably hot. But to get around this I just rooted it and under clocked the CPU to run at 800MHz. Its much cooler and I barely notice a decrease in performance.
Original post by Zionic

I take it you meant overheating? :p:

It gets relatively hot, but not unbearably hot.
Reply 5786
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I take it you meant overheating? :p:

It gets relatively hot, but not unbearably hot.

Yes, over heating haha. :smile:

Does it stay hot for a while or does it cool down quickly? I heard it was just a bad batch that was like this?
:confused:
Original post by Zionic
Yes, over heating haha. :smile:

Does it stay hot for a while or does it cool down quickly? I heard it was just a bad batch that was like this?
:confused:

I heard that it was a bad batch as well, but apparently not. :dontknow:

It gets hot for a bit but cools down quite quickly. However, if you're playing a game, lisyening to music and surfing the net then it occasionally stays hot.
It allows full access to the hardware, so you can do things like over/under-clock the CPU, install custom ROMs, etc.

Original post by diracdeltafunc
Icccc. Howz the battery life like relative to the original branding rom?

It's surprisingly good: with moderate to heavy usage it still lasts a day (24 hours) - I charge it every night so the battery life has not yet been a problem. :smile:
Main benefit I've seen it battery life. Before it would only last 15 hours (18 on a stretch) with normal use. The reason is because the battery drain is minuscule, something like 3mah so whilst my screen is off my phone uses pretty much no battery.

Another benefit is overclocking and general smoothness in the ROM. There are many many others, depends on which ROM. Though bare in ming Rooting alone doesn't allow you to install custom roms, kernels etc..
Original post by yoyo462001
Another benefit is overclocking and general smoothness in the ROM. There are many many others, depends on which ROM. Though bare in ming Rooting alone doesn't allow you to install custom roms, kernels etc..

It doesn't? For the Desire it does (you only need S-OFF for custom HBOOTs).

It doesn't? For the Desire it does (you only need S-OFF for custom HBOOTs).

Actually that might be true. To flash a non-sense or radio you need a S-OFF. It's probably different for non HTC phones though, but with the Incredible S/Desire S/ Sensation rooting isn't enough to actually install a custom/sense ROM, from what I've read on their forums.
Actually that might be true. To flash a non-sense or radio you need a S-OFF. It's probably different for non HTC phones though, but with the Incredible S/Desire S/ Sensation rooting isn't enough to actually install a custom/sense ROM, from what I've read on their forums.

It must depend on the phone then. You can flash radios and Sense or non-Sense ROMs on the Desire with just root (no need for S-OFF).

It must depend on the phone then. You can flash radios and Sense or non-Sense ROMs on the Desire with just root (no need for S-OFF).

All you need is Visonary and you're good to go???!
Original post by G8D
Desire came before the locked bootloader.

Technically being rooted is not that much to do with ROMs though as you need a modified recovery to flash ROMs.

I see, I'm not that up-to-date with the newer devices (which I thought were going to get unlocked bootloaders anyway?).

All you need is Visonary and you're good to go???!

These days unrevoked is the preferred rooting method, but yes. :smile:
Whats this motorola and google doing a deal all about?
Can I have a noobified version please.
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray
Whats this motorola and google doing a deal all about?
Can I have a noobified version please.

Google are buying Motorola.
(edited 12 years ago)
Google are buying Motorola' s Mobile Phone division.

fixed. :wink:
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
fixed. :wink:

They'd split up anyway :smile:
Original post by wizard710
They'd split up anyway :smile:

Is that a new thing, or am I remembering rightly when I think it happened when they were churning out crap phone after crap phone (post Razr era)?

Latest

Trending

Trending