The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Herms
even i am applying for masters in math for 2012 .. but i dont get it y r u reading books n all? shouldnt u be preparing for SOP ..?

I'm reading books mostly out of interest and then writing about them in my PS to show that I read around the subject. It's not essential and if you don't want to do it. But one would assume if you liked maths enough to want to study it for 4 years you would like reading a few introductory books.
BeccaCath94
Ooh cool What subject are you doing: maths? Im going to do maths with a year in germany as i am doing a level german!! I might even do maths with a minor in german i havent decided yet... What about you?

Straight maths :smile:

Original post by 1platinum
Are you sure you don't need an A level in a language? At Durham it states that you need a grade B, however at Bristol I can't find out whether you need to have studied a language before or not. :s-smilie:

You don't need to have studied a language at all for Bristol. Imperial says, "There is no formal language requirement for the Year in Europe courses, although applicants may be required to demonstrate a basic competence in a required language. Grade C at A-level, or grade B at AS level, or GCSE grade A can achieve this. If you can demonstrate that you are fluent in the language you do not need a formal language qualification. Language courses are available in the College for those who need to improve their standard."

Durham is the only one I've seen that requires an A-level.
Original post by Herms
even i am applying for masters in math for 2012 .. but i dont get it y r u reading books n all? shouldnt u be preparing for SOP ..?

I'm reading books for fun! What's SOP?
Google has a nice mathsy theme today....Fermats last therom!!!!
Reply 823
Original post by BeccaCath94
Google has a nice mathsy theme today....Fermats last therom!!!!

I was so surprised to see it :tongue:

Happy Birthday Fermat!
How'd everyone do!? :smile:
Physics 288/300, Further maths 287/300, maths 283/300. Classics and general studies A
Got 100 in C1, FP1 and unit 2 physics (oh a general studies module i got 100 which was hilarious)
Average of 95% on key subjects =]]
584 in maths, plus 100 and 96 in FP1 and S2
281/300 in chemistry
190/200 in economics

:woo:
Damn I've got good competition! Kidding well done guys :smile:

I got 297 in Maths, 289 in Further, (100 in C2, D2 and 97 in FP1/S1) and 268 in physics (stupid unit 2 :tongue:). As in bio, chem and general studies too :smile:
Reply 828
Original post by hassi94
Damn I've got good competition! Kidding well done guys :smile:

I got 297 in Maths, 289 in Further, (100 in C2, D2 and 97 in FP1/S1) and 268 in physics (stupid unit 2 :tongue:). As in bio, chem and general studies too :smile:

Very very happy with my results. Unsure even more about Oxford or Cambridge now.:confused:

Anyone wondering about my grades :colone:, drop me a PM.
(edited 12 years ago)
All those UMS's confuse us Scottish folk but well done guys! We don't get to find out our marks... well I think we might be allowed to find out percentages but we have to ask etc. Most we get is bands and I'm still to find them out from my school.
Original post by twig
Very very happy with my results. Unsure even more about Oxford or Cambridge now.:confused:

Anyone wondering about my grades :colone:, drop me a PM.

Ah just tell us here you wuss. :tongue: I've asked now so you have an excuse to show off! :smile:
Reply 831
Original post by hassi94
Ah just tell us here you wuss. :tongue: I've asked now so you have an excuse to show off! :smile:

I am reluctant about these things.

But PM coming to you.
In the sig :smile:
Reply 833
Original post by Reminisce
In the sig :smile:

A question: Are you carrying on the five subjects to a2? I am thinking to dropping chem, not because I suck, but because it can get boring/ become rote-learning/ may decrease my Oxbridge chances (although I'm probably not good enough anyway...). What's your view on the matter.
Original post by twig
A question: Are you carrying on the five subjects to a2? I am thinking to dropping chem, not because I suck, but because it can get boring/ become rote-learning/ may decrease my Oxbridge chances (although I'm probably not good enough anyway...). What's your view on the matter.

Dropping bio and see private message :smile:
Reply 835
Original post by twig

I did 5 subjects at A2 and it didn't significantly affect anything (although it was a bit annoying how all my friends had massive numbers of free periods when I only had 3 half-hour frees a week).

I did devote less time to my fifth subject though when STEP revision took priority.
Reply 836
You lot are UMS gods!
Looking to do Mathematics and sport science joint honours at Bham!!

Doing Maths, Sport and IT at sixth form (:
Hmm Interesting- I have
697/700 in Maths
195/200 Latin
194/200 Greek
279/300 Phys----------------------------> stupid practical :rolleyes:

Preety much what I expected tho-
Wow!!! You guys all did amazing!!! I thought my results were good!!

I got 260 in Maths AS.... 91 in C1 and S1 and 78 in C2 (might resit C2 but I dont know if theres much point....)

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest