The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6561

Sorry to be a nuisance but these only show the raw marks. Do you know how to convert that to the UMS? thanks.
Reply 6562
Original post by missdunni
I got B im my chemistry AS but I hopefully should be predicted an A for A2 will that be okay to apply with? i got good A's in everything else?

I am in this position too and I am wondering if there is still any point in me applying to medicine. I've heard that Chemistry is one of the subjects some places prefer you to have an A in, so I am a little worried. I was one mark off an A so I guess I could ask for a re-mark but honestly I don't think there's any point.
Reply 6563
I got a B in my A level maths overall (did it one year) and need some advice regarding what to resit and what to remark. Here's what I got for the entire year:

Core 1 - 86/100 (a)
Core 2 - 76/100 (b)
Core 3 - 73/100 (b)
Core 4 - 63/100 (c)
Statistics 1 - 88/100 (a)
Mechanics - 79/100 (b)

To get an A I need 15 more.
So I'm thinking of resitting Core 4 and hopefully I'll gain the 15 marks, but to be on the safe side I'm thinking of resitting Core 2 since I didn't revise and could easily get an A.

What I'm unsure about if I'm not applying to Oxbridge and therefore unis won't hopefully look at my individual modules, is it worth getting the Mechanics 1 remarked because it could easily get bumped to an A? Everyone seems to think 'oooh 79, 1 off an A' to get it remarked but does it matter if it's an a or b when trying to achieve an A overall? Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by Angury
I am in this position too and I am wondering if there is still any point in me applying to medicine. I've heard that Chemistry is one of the subjects some places prefer you to have an A in, so I am a little worried. I was one mark off an A so I guess I could ask for a re-mark but honestly I don't think there's any point.

As long as you are predicted an A, you are fine. I just got my A2 results, AAA so I will be reapplying for 2012 entry too. Well done on your As.
Reply 6565
Original post by Quackers93
Noooo :frown: I'm honestly gutted for you but you've still got a chance! :smile: You got an A in Chem which is "the main one" apparently and you could be cheeky and try to argue that the A* makes up for the B as it averages as A's (although i'm not sure they'd see it that way) Could you get the B remarked or resit? it'd limit your places but you'd still stand a chance? or postgrad? If you do decide not to do medicine, at least you already accepted that you've got a year of, so you can think about things, whereas there will be other people who had offers and missed them who will be a complete mess. Could go through clearing and beat the fees? lol

I don't mind and thank you :smile: I got AAA in maths bio and chem a-levels, A* in extended project and B in science in society. So including last years I've got AAAa*abc so I'm gonna try again me thinks :smile: next hurdle: ukcat :l I honestly wish you the best of luck with what ever you chose to do, keep me posted! :smile: and Think positive! where theres a will, theres a way! :biggrin:

I got a B in chem at AS too and was too predicted an A for A2. It depends on where you apply really. Some places focus on your predicted grades rather than your current AS grades (although they'll possibly take them into account too) I dont think its the end of the world (well i did this time last year but i got over it lol) but just ask careers about the best places to apply if you're worried :smile:

First of all congratulation to you on those set of results. :smile: I just discovered that Keele could offer a place at A*AB but I do not know if it is worth preparing for UKCAT to just to apply to one medical school. I am hating my results at the moment; I'd rather had got ABB instead because i wouldn't be in a huge dilemma like I am in now.
So, any plans for your gap year? Have you got any idea where you will apply to?
And just wanted to know if you are attending any uni. open days? Probably we could meet up, if we happened to go to the same open day? :smile:)

Thanks, and I wish you all the best for your UKCAT preparation. :smile:

EDIT: I do not know if medical schools appreciate re-sitting any modules?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Angury

Yeah, same position, but I found this out today regarding AS grades;

Oxford don't care formally, but might consider it if you cash them in.
Leeds don't care full stop.
Leicester don't care full stop.
Birmingham will see that you are disadvantaged compared to AAAA students, but it won't make your chances of interview zero. High predictions at A2 won't necessarily negate this.
Imperial don't mention it on their website.
UCL mention consistently that they consider AS grades, and expect high grades in relevant subjects, so it's a bit risky there, no reply as of yet.
Sheffield don't care about AS grades either - Cleoleo
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6567
Original post by Erotas
I got a B in my A level maths overall (did it one year) and need some advice regarding what to resit and what to remark. Here's what I got for the entire year:

Core 1 - 86/100 (a)
Core 2 - 76/100 (b)
Core 3 - 73/100 (b)
Core 4 - 63/100 (c)
Statistics 1 - 88/100 (a)
Mechanics - 79/100 (b)

To get an A I need 15 more.
So I'm thinking of resitting Core 4 and hopefully I'll gain the 15 marks, but to be on the safe side I'm thinking of resitting Core 2 since I didn't revise and could easily get an A.

What I'm unsure about if I'm not applying to Oxbridge and therefore unis won't hopefully look at my individual modules, is it worth getting the Mechanics 1 remarked because it could easily get bumped to an A? Everyone seems to think 'oooh 79, 1 off an A' to get it remarked but does it matter if it's an a or b when trying to achieve an A overall? Thanks for any help :smile:

What exam board do you do? I had done AQA maths so if you are the same exam board I could offer you some help.
Reply 6568
Original post by Saffron
hey guysss, got my grades today... not as well as i hoped but im still hopeful! Just submitted my personal statement to the helpers, Im trying to get as many opinions as possible.

I booked my ukcat exam for the end of september! I think i made a big mistake... doesn't that mean i can't apply to unis until 1st october!! Can i change the date?? I feel so stupid... I just thought it was so cool that we have until 7th october to do it but then i realised its better to get it done earlier!

Ofcourse you can apply to university through UCAS before 1st of October. :smile:
I had applied to medicine last year.
Reply 6569
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, same position, but I found this out today regarding AS grades;

Oxford don't care formally, but might consider it if you cash them in.
Leeds don't care full stop.
Leicester don't care full stop.
Birmingham will see that you are disadvantaged compared to AAAA students, but it won't make your chances of interview zero. High predictions at A2 won't necessarily negate this.
Imperial don't mention it on their website.
UCL mention consistently that they consider AS grades, and expect high grades in relevant subjects, so it's a bit risky there, no reply as of yet.

What exactly do leicester and leeds not care about? Is it what you get generally at AS or the chemistry grade?
Thanks
Reply 6570
Original post by Shaz51
What exam board do you do? I had done AQA maths so if you are the same exam board I could offer you some help.

Ohh I did edexcel :frown: but any help is appreciated!
Original post by Erotas
What exactly do leicester and leeds not care about? Is it what you get generally at AS or the chemistry grade?
Thanks

Your AS grades
Reply 6572
Your AS grades

Ohh okayy - thanks for the info.
Reply 6573
Your AS grades

and sheffield too.
Original post by Cleoleo
and sheffield too.

I haven't had a reply off them yet, but that's good to know
Reply 6575
Guys I got A*AB in Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A-level. Do you think it would be wise for me to apply to medicine or should I consider some other courses?

Any help appreciated.
Reply 6576
Original post by Shaz51
A* in Maths and Chemistry and B in Biology!

AFAIK, getting an A* in one subject won't compensate for a lower grade in another subject so would rather have AAA than A*A*B... I think it's Brighton that are quite flexible and would allow A*A*C
Reply 6577
Original post by Erotas
Ohh I did edexcel :frown: but any help is appreciated!

Well, it depends if you are after A or A*.
If you need A in maths, then retake the AS modules.
If you are planning to get A* in maths then retake A2 modules. Retake that module which is you find easier. This is because in Maths AS modules do not count towards your A*. So,if you want to get just an A then yes go ahead and get your M1 remarked.

And since I have been rejected from Cambridge despite having all As at 4 AS units, I would advice you to consider twice regarding applying to Oxbridge. There are lot other applicants with as good if not better grades.
Leicester might allow A*AB if the A* is in Chemistry
Reply 6579
Original post by Shaz51
Well, it depends if you are after A or A*.
If you need A in maths, then retake the AS modules.
If you are planning to get A* in maths then retake A2 modules. Retake that module which is you find easier. This is because in Maths AS modules do not count towards your A*. So,if you want to get just an A then yes go ahead and get your M1 remarked.

And since I have been rejected from Cambridge despite having all As at 4 AS units, I would advice you to consider twice regarding applying to Oxbridge. There are lot other applicants with as good if not better grades.

Thanks for the advice! Yehh I said I'm not applying to oxbridge lol - definitely not applying to oxbridge :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending