The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brutal Chav
I bloody hope it won't otherwise the Ox/Cam dilemma will kill me

Have you visited both unis? Taken into account other factors? For example, Cambridge as a city is smaller/sparser, and I think Cambridge has Saturday lectures.

Just trying to remember some of the arguments people here have put out.
Reply 4561
Original post by fluteflute
Preliminary work for January? :-o Which modules are you doing then? (Are you self teaching them?)

Well, we already started C3, FP2 & M3 in the 4 weeks when we came back after exams, I think we've actually done most of the syllabus for C3. I had wanted to go through the entire content of the modules but I doubt I'm going to be able to do that now. I'm taking D1, D2, S1, M3, FP2 & C3 in January (and then C4, S2 & FP3 in June), self teaching D1/D2 but they don't look too difficult from the limited work I've done so far, there's a fair bit of stuff that was covered in COMP3. They will hopefully be my cushion for any of my other modules going badly (see also: M2). What modules have you got next year?

I'm hoping that I can pick some of it up while I'm in Cambridge next week.
(edited 12 years ago)
I bloody hope it won't otherwise the Ox/Cam dilemma will kill me

I'd still apply to Oxford because I think liking the course is the most important thing, but that's just my opinion; I see why you are so torn.

On the bursary note, and while I'm popping in, I wondered whether this new information about Oxford's 2012 funding for students from England would be of interest for anyone. I do apologise if it's been mentioned before.
Original post by tom-m

Original post by tom-m
Well, we already started C3, FP2 & M3 in the 4 weeks when we came back after exams, I think we've actually done most of the syllabus for C3. I had wanted to go through the entire content of the modules but I doubt I'm going to be able to do that now. I'm taking D1, D2, S1, M3, FP2 & C3 in January, self teaching D1/D2 but they don't look too difficult from the limited work I've done so far, there's a fair bit of stuff that was covered in COMP3. They will hopefully be my cushion for any of my other modules going badly (see also: M2). What modules have you got next year?

I'm hoping that I can pick some of it up while I'm in Cambridge next week.
I don't suppose you'll find any of the modules very hard, but six in one go is rather a lot! What have you done already? And what are you doing in June? Oh and are you applying for Maths?
Original post by punctuation
Have you visited both unis? Taken into account other factors? For example, Cambridge as a city is smaller/sparser, and I think Cambridge has Saturday lectures.

Just trying to remember some of the arguments people here have put out.

But everything I have against Cambridge gets countered by its advantages,
1) I haven't visited Oxford but have been to two summer schools at Cam
2) Cambridge has a better reputation for science and even if Oxford has a better course, the employer's stereotypes that Cam is the science Uni won't change.
3) NatSci course is only broad in the 1st year, then its just Physics (which is what i want)
4) UMS F**KING UMS SCORES get taken into account...

omg i think i'll go mad
Original post by Chasm
This is going to sound incredibly random but do you remember commenting on a thread about geology unis that i started agesssss ago?

I got my results today and got the same as you (further maths instead of physics) and i got a C in my geography unit 1 when i thought it was my best paper. How weird :s-smilie:

Yeah I do remember... hmm that's pretty strange. Which exam board are you with? I know a lot of my friends were disappointed with their geography grade too.
Reply 4566
Original post by fluteflute
I don't suppose you'll find any of the modules very hard, but six in one go is rather a lot! What have you done already? And what are you doing in June? Oh and are you applying for Maths?

Yeah, but doing six in January means I'm not going to have as much in the way of pressure (hopefully) as many of my mates come June. I'll only have C4, S2 and FP3 (plus ECON4, but that won't matter one jot) and if D1/D2 go well then that's one other maths module that can go badly. :smile:

Last year for Maths we did C1, C2 & M1, and for Further we did FP1 & M2. We don't finish the further AS until January, when we do FP2, as we've had to go over so much background stuff covered in C3.

Nah, Maths & CS.
AAAA holla... still in with a chance hahah
But everything I have against Cambridge gets countered by its advantages,
1) I haven't visited Oxford but have been to two summer schools at Cam
2) Cambridge has a better reputation for science and even if Oxford has a better course, the employer's stereotypes that Cam is the science Uni won't change.
3) NatSci course is only broad in the 1st year, then its just Physics (which is what i want)
4) UMS F**KING UMS SCORES get taken into account...

omg i think i'll go mad

Regarding point 2: what career are you hoping to go into after a degree at Oxbridge? I'm sure a subtle difference between the two best universities in the UK won't make such an impact on employment prospects.

Regarding point 3: I thought you said you preferred the Oxford course curriculum? What's different between the two that's leading you to favour Oxford?

You should try visiting Oxford. I see from your signature you're applying to ChCh, so take a look at the university, at the college, ask some specific questions that will help you make a decision.

Have you spoken to anyone in the admissions offices of either university?
Reply 4569
Gahhh can't decide between Cambridge & Oxford....
I got a huge surprise in terms of UMS today and I want the scores to be taken into account...

I share your exact sentiments... :s-smilie:
Original post by tom-m
Yeah, but doing six in January means I'm not going to have as much in the way of pressure (hopefully) as many of my mates come June. I'll only have C4, S2 and FP3 (plus ECON4, but that won't matter one jot) and if D1/D2 go well then that's one other maths module that can go badly. :smile:

Last year for Maths we did C1, C2 & M1, and for Further we did FP1 & M2. We don't finish the further AS until January, when we do FP2, as we've had to go over so much background stuff covered in C3.

Nah, Maths & CS.
Yeah in my syllabus, OCR MEI, at least then FP2 depends on C4 (which depends on C3, etc). Made FP2 a right pain because they can ask about any obscure topic from C1-C4 or FP1.

Yeah, getting more out of the way earlier means we don't have to worry about meeting our Uni offers :smile: I've done 11 modules now, means I can sit back and relax (well not completely, I might do AS Additional Further Maths too. Not to mention all those other subjects...)

Oh no! You're gonna be in direct competition with me... (I believe if a college takes on a Maths+CS it has to mean a straight Maths or straight CS person misses out)

So which Oxford college are you thinking?
Original post by punctuation
Regarding point 2: what career are you hoping to go into after a degree at Oxbridge? I'm sure a subtle difference between the two best universities in the UK won't make such an impact on employment prospects.

Regarding point 3: I thought you said you preferred the Oxford course curriculum? What's different between the two that's leading you to favour Oxford?

You should try visiting Oxford. I see from your signature you're applying to ChCh, so take a look at the university, at the college, ask some specific questions that will help you make a decision.

Have you spoken to anyone in the admissions offices of either university?

I want to go into teaching, physics research or banking/economics, with the latter only being a real option if I graduate from Ox or Bridge.

I do prefer Oxford's straight-physics but I was saying maybe the first year won't be so bad and after all, 1st year results have no effect on NatSci degree at the end. I also like Oxford because of an entrance exam and the fact that there's no general interview asking chemistry questions when i'mm applying for physics.

I'll defo visit oxford in september and making a few phonecalls would probably be the best option.

Thanks but there will still be things I like about Cambridge more than Oxford and vice-versa. That bursary is absolutely insane though..... but it has a 60:8 success ratio.
FML
I want to go into teaching, physics research or banking/economics, with the latter only being a real option if I graduate from Ox or Bridge.

I do prefer Oxford's straight-physics but I was saying maybe the first year won't be so bad and after all, 1st year results have no effect on NatSci degree at the end. I also like Oxford because of an entrance exam and the fact that there's no general interview asking chemistry questions when i'mm applying for physics.

I'll defo visit oxford in september and making a few phonecalls would probably be the best option.

Thanks but there will still be things I like about Cambridge more than Oxford and vice-versa. That bursary is absolutely insane though..... but it has a 60:8 success ratio.
FML

Ah, I see. I wish you luck in making your decision.

(Also, have you spoken to the Cambridge applicants in their thread? They may be able to give you more answers on the Cambridge side, as we're clearly a bit biased here, haha)
I'm a bit late (just flew back from Croatia) but omg I got 4As :')....I didn't get any amazing percentages/ UMS (90% in each!) or whatever but I'm just soo happy! WELL DONE TO EVERYONE

This has just made me more determined :yep: randomly excited to apply to places now I have some REAL, tangible AS grades, rather than just dreaming about getting straight As........best day ever :biggrin:
Original post by Niki_girl
I'm a bit late (just flew back from Croatia) but omg I got 4As :')....I didn't get any amazing percentages/ UMS (90% in each!) or whatever but I'm just soo happy! WELL DONE TO EVERYONE

This has just made me more determined :yep: randomly excited to apply to places now I have some REAL, tangible AS grades, rather than just dreaming about getting straight As........best day ever :biggrin:

Well Done :biggrin: glad you've got what you wanted/deserved
Original post by tgarrud
Well Done :biggrin: glad you've got what you wanted/deserved

Thank you! Hope you did too, please don't apply to Cambridge :tongue: just kidding, Cambridge is actually really nice too, I did a shadowing scheme at Girton college a while back - lovely people!:mmm:

I just had to update my signature and everything with my grades because I got soo excited that this is actually real :colondollar:
Reply 4576
Original post by lukas1051
Yeah I do remember... hmm that's pretty strange. Which exam board are you with? I know a lot of my friends were disappointed with their geography grade too.

That happened to me got As in physics, maths, F.Maths and geology but messed up geography (got a C) when I thought I got an A - at the very lease a B ~ on the AQA board
How easy do you think it would be to hide an application to Oxford Uni?
Original post by Morkike
That happened to me got As in physics, maths, F.Maths and geology but messed up geography (got a C) when I thought I got an A - at the very lease a B ~ on the AQA board

I'm on AQA too... hmmm, bear in mind that we had the paper with a mistake on it, I'm not completely confident they were all marked properly. I'm definitely going to get a re-mark.
Original post by Accalia

Original post by Accalia
How easy do you think it would be to hide an application to Oxford Uni?

As in, add your other options after October the 15th, therefore other universities don't know you've applied to Oxford? Very easy. (Although whether there is any benefit to that is unclear.)

Latest