The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamrules247
Thanks :smile: Not as good as I would have liked, however it means that I may be able to get into the University of Exeter through the clearing process :party:

That's great news! Keep us posted on how that goes :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's great news! Keep us posted on how that goes :smile:

Will do, it'd be something like a fairy tale finish if I ended up there as well :h:
Obviously wasn't meant to be. They rejected within an hour :frown:

:jumphug:

"When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window" :console:
:jumphug:

"When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window" :console:

I sure hope so. I'm really unsure what my next move should be. Exeter seemed so perfect. It was as if God was laying it at my feet and telling me to take it.
I sure hope so. I'm really unsure what my next move should be. Exeter seemed so perfect. It was as if God was laying it at my feet and telling me to take it.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. When something seems so perfect and is snatched away from us, it can be very hard to figure out what to do.

I know it's little comfort but I'll pray for you :hugs:
I'm so sorry this happened to you. When something seems so perfect and is snatched away from us, it can be very hard to figure out what to do.

I know it's little comfort but I'll pray for you :hugs:

It's a big comfort now. Just wish I knew how the whole process works so I know if I'm aloud to try again or not. It's all so confusing :eek3:
It's a big comfort now. Just wish I knew how the whole process works so I know if I'm aloud to try again or not. It's all so confusing :eek3:

I'm afraid I have no idea how things work now with the new A* and adjustment and everything. I really hope things work out for you though. You seem like a nice guy deserving of a great uni place :smile:
Reply 2668

TLG said something that is very true. It was not meant to be that you went to Exeter even though it seemed to you, the ideal place to be.

Look back at what has happened during your life so far and I'm sure you will be able to recount situations where the outcome did not appear the most favourable, but in hindsight, the eventual outcome turned out to be the best resolution for you.

Although I wouldn't advise anyone to just sit back and wait for their life to fall into place without any input from themself, I do think that there might be a message here for you that you should take heed of. In other words, reappraise your situtation and consider your priorities anew.

God bless you, dear adam. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
TLG said something that is very true. It was not meant to be that you went to Exeter even though it seemed to you, the ideal place to be.

Look back at what has happened during your life so far and I'm sure you will be able to recount situations where the outcome did not appear the most favourable, but in hindsight, the eventual outcome turned out to be the best resolution for you.

Although I wouldn't advise anyone to just sit back and wait for their life to fall into place without any input from themself, I do think that there might be a message here for you that you should take heed of. In other words, reappraise your situtation and consider your priorities anew.

God bless you, dear adam. :smile:

Yep, I completely agree, it obviously wasn't meant to be. Shame though I guess. I just wish I knew what He wanted with me! I sort of got the impression when I saw Exeter, and I read about it, that this was God's plan, it all seemed to fit. It was like the fulfillment of Pslam 93, if you stay on the rocky path then the angels will tend you. But, seemingly not.
Reply 2670
Yep, I completely agree, it obviously wasn't meant to be. Shame though I guess. I just wish I knew what He wanted with me! I sort of got the impression when I saw Exeter, and I read about it, that this was God's plan, it all seemed to fit. It was like the fulfillment of Pslam 93, if you stay on the rocky path then the angels will tend you. But, seemingly not.

You say that you wish you knew what God wanted with you. Maybe you should explore your options in that direction since you seem to be drawn to serving Him in a vocational sense.

Are there any seminaries that provide undergraduate studies in subjects that can be studied alongside Theology & Philosophy? Or maybe Heythrop if the pull towards God is more insistent/irresistible than what one would normally study given your subject passes? (They are taking part in Clearing)

You could also visit the TSR subforums pertinent to results day and maybe get some ideas from there. There are many, many 18 years old in the same situation as you are today...draw ideas and strengths from them.

Congratulations by the way, on your results...a very respectable education portfolio there! :smile:
Original post by yawn
You say that you wish you knew what God wanted with you. Maybe you should explore your options in that direction since you seem to be drawn to serving Him in a vocational sense.

Perhaps you're right though, although as I remember a priest being told, go and get a degree first and a vocation will still be available to you.

Are there any seminaries that provide undergraduate studies in subjects that can be studied alongside Theology & Philosophy? Or maybe Heythrop if the pull towards God is more insistent/irresistible than what one would normally study given your subject passes? (They are taking part in Clearing)

Not a clue about seminaries. Heythrop is still something I'm thinking about, and it does look very attractive. But the fact it's in London puts me off and whether I'd be good enough.

You could also visit the TSR subforums pertinent to results day and maybe get some ideas from there. There are many, many 18 years old in the same situation as you are today...draw ideas and strengths from them.

Been lurking there already :lurk:

I got some ideas but they fell through (the UEA for example)

Congratulations by the way, on your results...a very respectable education portfolio there! :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm still suprised about the English. Don't know how that worked :eek4:
Not a clue about seminaries. Heythrop is still something I'm thinking about, and it does look very attractive. But the fact it's in London puts me off and whether I'd be good enough.

I went to Heythrop, if you want to talk about going there then ask me anything you want! :smile:
Original post by Magnum Opus
I went to Heythrop, if you want to talk about going there then ask me anything you want! :smile:

Oh boy what an oppertunity :awesome:

Number 1. What did you do.
Number 2. Did you find the course engaging?
Number 3. Were you able to find employment and, if it's not intruding, what sort of employment did you get.

That should give me some ideas, thanks :smile:
Oh boy what an oppertunity :awesome:

Number 1. What did you do.
Number 2. Did you find the course engaging?
Number 3. Were you able to find employment and, if it's not intruding, what sort of employment did you get.

That should give me some ideas, thanks :smile:

Simple questions :tongue:

1) I did the Abrahamic Religions course, it was really good. I was part of the second year through the course, as it's new, and you get a size of about a dozen people, which is really nice socially, as well as academically as lectures are more like personal tutorials :smile:
2) Absolutely, it's made me learn a lot, and I've been able to pursue some more interests far more as a result, hence getting a first in my dissertation topic :gah:
3) I've got a good chance of getting a position at either BBC, The Guardian, or Sony, as I've only finished a couple of months ago, but yeah I will be getting a really good job somewhere really respected. Getting a job isn't really about what uni you went to though, that's not really important at all in honesty and any employer would tell you the same. As long as you do really well in your course and show enthusiasm and dedication, as well as a genuine interest in what you do, then that's what employers look for.
Reply 2675
Perhaps you're right though, although as I remember a priest being told, go and get a degree first and a vocation will still be available to you.

Been lurking there already :lurk:

I got some ideas but they fell through (the UEA for example)

Thanks :smile: I'm still suprised about the English. Don't know how that worked :eek4:

Don't give up, even if you have to stay up all night considering your options.
Simple questions :tongue:

1) I did the Abrahamic Religions course, it was really good. I was part of the second year through the course, as it's new, and you get a size of about a dozen people, which is really nice socially, as well as academically as lectures are more like personal tutorials :smile:
2) Absolutely, it's made me learn a lot, and I've been able to pursue some more interests far more as a result, hence getting a first in my dissertation topic :gah:
3) I've got a good chance of getting a position at either BBC, The Guardian, or Sony, as I've only finished a couple of months ago, but yeah I will be getting a really good job somewhere really respected. Getting a job isn't really about what uni you went to though, that's not really important at all in honesty and any employer would tell you the same. As long as you do really well in your course and show enthusiasm and dedication, as well as a genuine interest in what you do, then that's what employers look for.

Many thanks for answering these. I totally agree with your point about a job not being important, frankly a want to sit at the feet of those far greater than I and drink from their cup of knowledge, Heythrop sounds like that sort of place. Out of interest are things like accomadation and food provided, and if yes did you, in your second and third year, were you still lodged at the college or did you find your own home.
Original post by yawn
Don't give up, even if you have to stay up all night considering your options.

I won't :smile: To be fair I might just accept my offer to Dundee and have done with it. I've been speaking with the priest up there and he seems like a nice chap, he told me it's quite a traditional parish and it's generally an okay place. I'd sort of feel like I'd have failed myself if I went there though.
Many thanks for answering these. I totally agree with your point about a job not being important, frankly a want to sit at the feet of those far greater than I and drink from their cup of knowledge, Heythrop sounds like that sort of place. Out of interest are things like accomadation and food provided, and if yes did you, in your second and third year, were you still lodged at the college or did you find your own home.

Absolutely, Heythrop has its own on-site halls, but I'm not sure if there are spaces left, but you're part of the wider University of London so can take advantage of any of the Intercollegiate halls. You will have somewhere found for you regardless though, they're good when it comes to things like that. I was in an intercollegiate hall just off Oxford Street in my first year, Nutford House, and found private accommodation in my second and third years (which I'd argue that you'd be silly not to, as you miss out on the whole experience of being in London). In fact, I've settled down in the area where I moved to in my 2nd/3rd years! On that, I think I saw you say you felt London was a bit daunting, I felt the same but decided to just jump for it, and I've definitely not looked back, everywhere else is just too small for me now.
Absolutely, Heythrop has its own on-site halls, but I'm not sure if there are spaces left, but you're part of the wider University of London so can take advantage of any of the Intercollegiate halls. You will have somewhere found for you regardless though, they're good when it comes to things like that. I was in an intercollegiate hall just off Oxford Street in my first year, Nutford House, and found private accommodation in my second and third years (which I'd argue that you'd be silly not to, as you miss out on the whole experience of being in London). In fact, I've settled down in the area where I moved to in my 2nd/3rd years! On that, I think I saw you say you felt London was a bit daunting, I felt the same but decided to just jump for it, and I've definitely not looked back, everywhere else is just too small for me now.

Okay thanks for those answers :smile:

I just suggested it to my mother though and she seemed to think it's a ridiculous idea saying that philosophy and theology aren't "real subjects" :frown: So I probably won't be able to go even if I really wanted to.

Plus the fact I have the wish to avoid large cities puts a con on the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending