The Student Room Group

Extended degree at Sheffield Hallam

Hi

I have just accepted the Extended degree in Health and Social Care Professions at Sheffield Hallam as my firm choice ( to start september 2011) which I then hope to progress onto the Radiotherapy course in 2012.

Is anyone else going to be on this course (2011) or has anyone previously been on this course that can provide information about it.

Many Thanks
Sarah! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya,
I have also accepted my firm as Sheffield!!!!!
I'm doing the extended degree also but i would like to progress onto Physiotherapy fingers crossed!!!!!
Do you have any idea when we have to apply for accommodation???
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 2
Aw thats good :smile:
I've already applied for it because I got told to do it just as soon as you had accepted it as your firm.
Where are you thinking of applying to stay?
:smile: :smile:
Reply 3
Well i am not sure about where to apply for accommodation!!!!
Different places have different feedback.
Where have you applied to stay, i don't want to end up in a dodgey place for a whole year :s-smilie: !!!!
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 4
Yeah ive read loads of different comments too I just chose the ones I thought looked the best Victoria Halls and The forge :smile:

Where abouts are you from? :smile:
Reply 5
Finally applied for accommodation!!!
I chose The Forge and Victoria hall also in my opinion they had the best reviews and did look homey :colone:!!!!!!!!
Anyways i am from Birmingham. How about yourself???
Reply 6
Yeah they do :smile:
I'm from Middlesbrough! :smile:
Reply 7
What's your name?
Have you been and had a look round the uni yet? :smile: :smile:
Reply 8
:smile::smile::smile:
Hey my names Ahmad and i am 18 yrs old!!!!!
how about yourself???
Do you have any info on when our course start date is???
Reply 9
Well i haven't really seen the university properly i only got a glimpse at it when i had my interview!!!!
How abut you have you attended any open days???:smile:
Reply 10
Im 19 next week :smile:
yeah it starts on the 19th september according to UCAS!
ive been to a couple of the open days :smile: really liked it lol
Reply 11
Its good to know that you like the university!!!
I myself haven't been able to go to a open day so far so i am just gonna have to take your word for it!!!!:smile::smile::smile:
So what course are you doing at college to get onto the foundation year???
:smile: :wink: :smile:
Reply 12
Ive just been doing A-levels in health and social care and psychology :smile:
you?
Reply 13
Ive always wanted to do psychology but never really picked it!!!!:frown:
I'm also doing my A-levels in Biology, Chemistry and P.E. :smile: :smile:
Do u reckon theres gonna be just one class or a number of different classes?? :confused:
Reply 14
I think it will just be one class but ive heard that it is in both campuses so im not totally sure :|
Reply 15
ive just done this course. to be honest its not what anyone thought it was going to be. The course leader is Karen DeMasi who can be a bit dippy at times. You do 4 modules then choose a 5th after christmas which depends on which course you are going on to after the foundation. health and social care is the only module which is at collegiate campus unless you choose the social care module after christmas (social care only lasted 6 weeks, physics lasts a whole semester) You also do maths which has nothing to do with health and social care!! Florian was my tutor for maths he was very nice and laid back but some of the lectures were a bit pointless and he said that if you feel like you know your stuff you dont have to attend the lecture (he put the lecture slides on blackboard a couple of days before). Biology was my favourite module with gail and alison. there are 4 lab sessions which you HAVE TO ATTEND so you can complete the coursework. biology is A level standard. I found it very hard as i hadnt done biology since 2007. you have an informal exam in january which is mainly mulitple choice and pretty easy. and there is another in may which is under exam conditions. skills for health and social care professionals has to be one of the most boring lectures you will attend at uni. to be honest i hardly ever went. you have to do a presentation in this module for 3 minutes. the options after xmas are social care and physics. you have to do physics if you are wanting to do radiotherapy or radiography but everybody else gets a choice. BEWARE that you will do maths and biology with the bio-science foundation group so some of the first semester biology is not related to health and social. anyway if you want to know anything else or need any help next year just send me a message! enjoy xxxxx
Reply 16
Original post by sarah9211
Hi

I have just accepted the Extended degree in Health and Social Care Professions at Sheffield Hallam as my firm choice ( to start september 2011) which I then hope to progress onto the Radiotherapy course in 2012.

Is anyone else going to be on this course (2011) or has anyone previously been on this course that can provide information about it.

Many Thanks
Sarah! :smile:

I've just done this course and left a biggish post on the thread xx
Reply 17
Thank you for your message, it was really helpful :smile:
what course have you gone on to do?
i know that i have to get 50% to progress onto the next course, is it difficult to get this?

Thank you :smile: x
Reply 18
Hiya, was just goin to ask a similar question which Sarah asked regarding the pass percentage mark. I am going to have to attain at least 70% to progress onto Physiotherapy. Would you say this is hard to achieve or moderately easy???
Any insight would be appreciated!!!!
:smile: :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Lou1990
ive just done this course. to be honest its not what anyone thought it was going to be. The course leader is Karen DeMasi who can be a bit dippy at times. You do 4 modules then choose a 5th after christmas which depends on which course you are going on to after the foundation. health and social care is the only module which is at collegiate campus unless you choose the social care module after christmas (social care only lasted 6 weeks, physics lasts a whole semester) You also do maths which has nothing to do with health and social care!! Florian was my tutor for maths he was very nice and laid back but some of the lectures were a bit pointless and he said that if you feel like you know your stuff you dont have to attend the lecture (he put the lecture slides on blackboard a couple of days before). Biology was my favourite module with gail and alison. there are 4 lab sessions which you HAVE TO ATTEND so you can complete the coursework. biology is A level standard. I found it very hard as i hadnt done biology since 2007. you have an informal exam in january which is mainly mulitple choice and pretty easy. and there is another in may which is under exam conditions. skills for health and social care professionals has to be one of the most boring lectures you will attend at uni. to be honest i hardly ever went. you have to do a presentation in this module for 3 minutes. the options after xmas are social care and physics. you have to do physics if you are wanting to do radiotherapy or radiography but everybody else gets a choice. BEWARE that you will do maths and biology with the bio-science foundation group so some of the first semester biology is not related to health and social. anyway if you want to know anything else or need any help next year just send me a message! enjoy xxxxx

I've just been told that I'm not predicted the B I need to do Physio so am looking at the foundation degree. The website doesn't make it clear whether if accepted onto the foundation course you are then automatically guaranteed a place on your chosen degree course at the same uni- do you know if this is the case? Also, is the foundation course NHS funded? Thanks for your help. Laura

Quick Reply

Latest