The Student Room Group

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS

Scroll to see replies

I re-entered Biology coursework the second year, didn't touch it... didn't improve it...SOMEHOW got 7 marks higher... I have no idea how that happened. No complaints here though :biggrin:
Original post by kasiasunshine

Original post by kasiasunshine
I dropped 8 marks in Edexcel GCSE ICT course when it was sent for moderation... from an A* to a B...

Ouch
Well I sent off got my unit 4 physics paper to be remarked, hope I can find 3 more UMS to get my A overall
Reply 103
Original post by cpdavis
Well I sent off got my unit 4 physics paper to be remarked, hope I can find 3 more UMS to get my A overall

I'm sure you said you think you think you'll get an A* in physics, after looking at markschemes, etc!
does anyone know if remarks are marked by chief examiners? I just get the feeling that they let just anybody do the marking for OCR , I got 77 UMS for a C in history today and it cost me my place at warwick. I've checked the mark scheme and theres simply no way I did that badly, I even did better in my mock!
Reply 105
Hmm, I had the results of my A level Graphics exam today with Edexcel - I am 2 marks short of an A after re-sitting my AS Graphics exam. Based on what I've read in this thread, would it be worth a re-mark?
How much are the remarks anyway? it's so stupid we have to pay so much for someone who had moderated our scrips so badly originally. You hear stories of people mark going up by 10 -20 -30.
Original post by Casshern1456
How much are the remarks anyway? it's so stupid we have to pay so much for someone who had moderated our scrips so badly originally. You hear stories of people mark going up by 10 -20 -30.

If it goes up, you get your money back.
AQA are notorious for inconsistent marking. So many problems regarding the marking of English Literature papers and History coursework at my school.
Original post by yahyahyahs
If it goes up, you get your money back.

I know that, but well private candidates will have to fork it out of their own pocket it's to much, i might just get my script back and see if im worth any more marks.
Original post by Casshern1456
I know that, but well private candidates will have to fork it out of their own pocket it's to much, i might just get my script back and see if im worth any more marks.

Yeah, school candidates have to pay too. My school charges £40 for priority remark.
This thread stresses me out so much, starting AS levels in September :tongue:

It's obviously understandable that marks given by different examiners for the same paper would fluctuate between a FEW marks. 3 maximum.
But for these papers to be undermarked by up to 20 marks is just shocking :nothing:
I worked for Edexcel over the summer, inputting marks from the papers to their systems. I saw 2 papers where a whole section had been missed out by the examiner. Worse still, these scripts (as they call the exam papers) had been seen by a moderator who is supposed to have double checked the examiner's marks.
These papers were just in the 'exceptions' too, which means scripts that couldn't be scanned into the marking software to be marked online (exceptions are usually papers with attachments or seperate sheets), so had been sent to the examiners for 'traditional' marking (red biros at the ready stuff). Most are now marked online, so it may be even easier for an examiner to skip a page accidentally etc. So basically, yeah I would definitely advise anyone who thinks they have been short-changed to get a re-mark.
Original post by GreenDiff
I had my AS Unit 1 Edexcel Economics remarked, and it went up by 10 marks!

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

Anyone faced similar situations?

I got a B in my GCSE history exam....78%.....and given that history is my best subject by a fair few miles...I instantly got a remark....

it came back as 98%......A*

have also had friends that went from C to A and low B to A as well
I'm thinking of getting my WJEC English LangLit paper remarked I was on straight Bs yet somehow in my final exam I got a D which dragged my grade down to a C, I need 14 UMS, what do you reckon? Missed out on Birmingham Uni because of that.
question if my paper grade goes up do i get my money back or does my overall grade have to go up for me to get my money back?
Original post by IanLim93
question if my paper grade goes up do i get my money back or does my overall grade have to go up for me to get my money back?

I think it's the individual unit grade if it goes up or down (changes) you don't pay.
Reply 117
Did anyone sit AQA Environmental studies?

I don't want to "blow my own trumpet" But I was top of the class all year in that subject, had a bad unit 1 paper and got a B, fair enough.

I think though I had a good unit 2 paper, but i got 56 UMS which is barely an E, i'm so frustrated cause I need AAB next year, and with BCD at AS it doesn't look promising? Anyone else got a really bad unit 2 enviornmental?

Also really peed with AS english literature, I got told I had a top A with my coursework, but i got 64 UMS, the lowest A possible, and then my exam is barely a C, I'm good at English! grr.
Reply 118
Original post by Broken_Circles
I worked for Edexcel over the summer, inputting marks from the papers to their systems. I saw 2 papers where a whole section had been missed out by the examiner. Worse still, these scripts (as they call the exam papers) had been seen by a moderator who is supposed to have double checked the examiner's marks.
These papers were just in the 'exceptions' too, which means scripts that couldn't be scanned into the marking software to be marked online (exceptions are usually papers with attachments or seperate sheets), so had been sent to the examiners for 'traditional' marking (red biros at the ready stuff). Most are now marked online, so it may be even easier for an examiner to skip a page accidentally etc. So basically, yeah I would definitely advise anyone who thinks they have been short-changed to get a re-mark.

This explains alot! My English Language and Literature A level was Edexcel. I got A's in all the units then an E in the last one, which I know can't be right!
So annoying!
Just a few questions:

I was one mark off of an A in History AS (159 points) which I was pretty pleased with but when I look at the individual test marks there is a 31 mark gulf between the first paper and second paper. I felt I wrote consistently well throughout so I am considering a re-mark. However, the questions are, will I keep my first mark if it is marked down, will only the lower paper (Paper 2) be sent off and, before I choose to have it re-marked, is it possible to go through and discuss the paper with my teacher to see whether it was given the right grade?

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic but I'd prefer AAA than AAB when applying.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest