The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4600
hey guys
i really need advice
i want to study PPE or econ+governemnt course in uni but I recieved really dissappointing AS results.

I have 2 Bs in economics and sociology both of which one or two marks off an overall A. (i will be retaking one of each unit in january to boost my grade)However I did really badly in maths with a C grade.
Next year I will be taking AS and A2 gov+politics in one year so i have 4 Alevels

Do you think i will have any realistic chance of being accepted anywhere if i apply in autumn this year or if I just apply after having completed my A2s? I've looked at the course info for oxford and I really wanted to do it but that's all gone out the window.

thanks in advance
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by qwertie
hey guys
i really need advice
i want to study PPE or econ+governemnt course in uni but I recieved really dissappointing AS results.

I have 2 Bs in economics and sociology both of which one or two marks off an overall A. (i will be retaking one of each unit in january to boost my grade)However I did really badly in maths with a C grade.
Next year I will be taking AS and A2 gov+politics in one year so i have 4 Alevels

Do you think i will have any realistic chance of being accepted anywhere if i apply in autumn this year or if I just apply after having completed my A2s? I've looked at the course info for oxford and I really wanted to do it but that's all gone out the window.

thanks in advance

I think it depends on what grades you'll be predicted. If your teachers predict you AAA, then yeah, you can apply, if not, maybe wait a year and see what grades you'll end up with, or apply this year to different universities.
Reply 4602
justapip
GCSEs: 5 A*s 6As 1B
Course: Medicine
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths
Reply 4603
Original post by irina793

Original post by irina793
I think it depends on what grades you'll be predicted. If your teachers predict you AAA, then yeah, you can apply, if not, maybe wait a year and see what grades you'll end up with, or apply this year to different universities.

yeah hopefully they'll predict me good grades, if not it's not the end of the world i guess...
:smile:
Reply 4604
Original post by justapip
justapip

Which college do you want to go to?
Reply 4605
Original post by Jester94
Which college do you want to go to?

Oh sorry! Urm, I was thinking of doing an open application actually.
Any point of applying with AABB? One B is only one mark of an A though so might get it re-marked (was in English lit, screwed me over) so might have AAAB. The other B is in maths and won't be cashed in. I want to study history, maybe with economics. Have an EPQ. Any point? Thanks :smile:
Reply 4607
Original post by mangostrawberry
Any point of applying with AABB? One B is only one mark of an A though so might get it re-marked (was in English lit, screwed me over) so might have AAAB. The other B is in maths and won't be cashed in. I want to study history, maybe with economics. Have an EPQ. Any point? Thanks :smile:

I was 2 UMS off an A in Physics, and that was because I got a C in the practical. I'm fairly confident my predictions will be good though.
I was 2 UMS off an A in Physics, and that was because I got a C in the practical. I'm fairly confident my predictions will be good though.

So you still think you can apply with Bs at AS?
Yesterday was quite the relief - I won't have to be reconsidering university options
Maths A (656/700 UMS - because we're mad and do 13 modules for Double Maths :P)
Politics A (160/200 UMS - barely managed it)
History A (200/200 UMS - well chuffed)
Physics A (287/300 UMS)
Reply 4610
Original post by mangostrawberry

Yes, it's still worth applying.
Reply 4611
Oh sorry! Urm, I was thinking of doing an open application actually.

I debated that but: a) there's some colleges I don't want to go to, knowing my luck that's where I would end up and b) I absolutely fell in love with Queen's :biggrin:
Original post by dragonmeister
Yesterday was quite the relief - I won't have to be reconsidering university options
Maths A (656/700 UMS - because we're mad and do 13 modules for Double Maths :P)
Politics A (160/200 UMS - barely managed it)
History A (200/200 UMS - well chuffed)
Physics A (287/300 UMS)

Nice results :smile: But how come that you do 13 modules for Maths :tongue:
Reply 4613
I have a question if It's worth applying to Oxford this year again?
I applied for Oxford last year with predictions of 2A*2A and got rejected.
Tried really hard at A2's and I got A*AAB (Maths 97%, F.Maths 87%, Physics 86% and Economics 79% :O ) today. Remark asked for the B (was expecting A*). GCSE's 3A*8A
I was told because I have the grades already I am at a better position than before with the predictions? Thanks :smile:
Reply 4614
Original post by anradu
I have a question if It's worth applying to Oxford this year again?
I applied for Oxford last year with predictions of 2A*2A and got rejected.
Tried really hard at A2's and I got A*AAB (Maths 97%, F.Maths 87%, Physics 86% and Economics 79% :O ) today. Remark asked for the B (was expecting A*). GCSE's 3A*8A
I was told because I have the grades already I am at a better position than before with the predictions? Thanks :smile:

I don't think having grades of A*AAB (or even A*AAA) will necessarily put you in a stronger position than an applicant with predictions of A*A*AA.

How did you feel the TSA went when you sat it? If you thought you could have done much better on it, it might be worth reapplying (as that's probably a big part of why you were rejected).
(edited 12 years ago)
justapip

Yaaay another hopeful medic! :woo:
Original post by Jester94
I debated that but: a) there's some colleges I don't want to go to, knowing my luck that's where I would end up and b) I absolutely fell in love with Queen's :biggrin:

Ahhh, I love Queen's too :biggrin:
Reply 4617
Really upset with my A2 grades. ABC in Economics, History and maths. I've just had a tough year. I was predicted A*A*A. My average ums last year was 95(history), 95(econ), 88(maths), 88(politics). I was interviewed for PPE at Oxford this year but didn't get in.

I didn't get into a uni this year. I was thinking of resitting modules and reapplying to Oxford. Is that even possible? :frown:
Reply 4618
To anyone asking about whether their UMS grades are good enough in this thread, I don't see why. Oxford would only see that you have AAA, AAAA, etc.
Reply 4619
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Ahhh, I love Queen's too :biggrin:

Well, it is GORGEOUS! What do you want to study?

Latest

Trending

Trending