The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
well, a bit higher, in the 600Q book i got 19/36 for that mock :smile: and on the downloadable practice test i basically gave up because i nearly ran out of time on like the first 10 questions and then rapidly chose B for every other question :lol: ahah!

though in the actual UKCAT i got 800 for QR, (718 overall, though QR went from being my worst area in my practices to being the best in the real test!)

good luck! :biggrin:

My friend took it yesterday, got 345 or so in the mock then got 900 in the real thing :rolleyes:
Original post by Normandy114
My friend took it yesterday, got 345 or so in the mock then got 900 in the real thing :rolleyes:

oooh that's great! Well done to them!! :biggrin:
Reply 6622
Original post by eemooz
well in jan i got a b in unit one.. resat and managed to go down to a c.. definately remarking that.. i got a b overall.. so im resiting that module in jan.

OCR A CHEM you have been horrible. :angry:

goodluckkkk! :smile:

So Im not alone!! COME ON we can do this!! Good luck to us both x
well, a bit higher, in the 600Q book i got 19/36 for that mock :smile: and on the downloadable practice test i basically gave up because i nearly ran out of time on like the first 10 questions and then rapidly chose B for every other question :lol: ahah!

though in the actual UKCAT i got 800 for QR, (718 overall, though QR went from being my worst area in my practices to being the best in the real test!)

good luck! :biggrin:

Was there any questions on proportionality, like;

a jar is filled with 35% alcohol solution, how much 75% alcohol solution would you have to add to make it 40% overall
Reply 6624
Original post by 05jwappleyard
Right guys, I have a dilemma. My results aren't as good as I would have hoped: BBC :'( I'm normally straight A, I just don't know what went wrong :confused:
Medicine is career I've always wanted to pursue ever since the 18 months I was in hospital during my GCSE's.

I really want to go for it because it's all I want do but I don't think I will get accepted now. I have a fair bit of experience: medlink, hospital, GP surgery, St John's, research labs and charity work. Still need to take UKCAT. Is it worth me applying or not???

Also, I am aware that some schools certificate their AS results and others don't. But I am slightly confused now. After going to the open days they all pretty much said that they don't look at peoples AS results for that reason, some cash them in and some don't so obviously it would be unfair to look at one persons and not anothers. However, I have read somewhere that all state schools (I am from a state school) MUST cash their results in now for the 2012 entry even if they are planning on resitting modules.

Can someone enlighten me please. Thanks.

As long as you can get yourself predicted AAA it shouldn't be too bad, but that requires you to argue your case with the teachers making predictions. If you plan to resit a few units it should help. Can't really offer more help than that, sorry. :frown:

EDIT: If the grades were anywhere near the upper boundaries that should make your situation a lot better too.
Original post by Straight up G

a jar is filled with 35% alcohol solution, how much 75% alcohol solution would you have to add to make it 40% overall

I think there were a couple like that :tongue: but my memory on the questions is rather faded considering it was like a month ago :lol:

I think there were a couple like that :tongue: but my memory on the questions is rather faded considering it was like a month ago :lol:

Can I ask if there was a lot of information to read for the questions?
Original post by Loulibelle
Can I ask if there was a lot of information to read for the questions?

Nowhere near as much as in the practice tests! That was my problem in the practice tests, i just couldn't organise the ridiculous amount of information in my mind :lol:

answeR? 5% worth?
Original post by BeejTheone
answeR? 5% worth?

you can't actually answer that question, because there needs to be a quantity in there somewhere.

you can't actually answer that question, because there needs to be a quantity in there somewhere.
]
yeah though so cheers

That's alright, thanks for letting me know anyway
Reply 6632

How would you go about answering that?!?! I'm guessing that you'd be given some volumes?
Original post by KCosmo
How would you go about answering that?!?! I'm guessing that you'd be given some volumes?

Yep you need atleast one volume, and if they gave you two it wouldn't be much of a question, so they would only give you one. I've only seen them give you one of the initial volumes, so;

75cm of 55% alcohol was in a container. What amount of 90% alcohol had to be added to make it a 70% solution.

Double check your answer to see if it makes sense.

I've never seen a question from the reverse angle, ie, if they give you the final volume, but I'd think it'd be impossible because you'd then have two unknown variables (the quantities of both the initial solutions)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
As long as you can get yourself predicted AAA it shouldn't be too bad, but that requires you to argue your case with the teachers making predictions. If you plan to resit a few units it should help. Can't really offer more help than that, sorry. :frown:

EDIT: If the grades were anywhere near the upper boundaries that should make your situation a lot better too.

Thanks for your help Ronove, much appreciated :smile: Yeah, I'm going to battle to try and get predicted 3 A's (fingers crossed) :smile:

Does anyone know about this bit --->

I am aware that some schools certificate their AS results and others don't. But I am slightly confused now. After going to the open days they all pretty much said that they don't look at peoples AS results for that reason, some cash them in and some don't so obviously it would be unfair to look at one persons and not anothers. However, I have read somewhere that all state schools (I am from a state school) MUST cash their results in now for the 2012 entry even if they are planning on resitting modules.

Can someone enlighten me on this please??? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6635
Yep you need atleast one volume, and if they gave you two it wouldn't be much of a question, so they would only give you one. I've only seen them give you one of the initial volumes, so;

75cm of 55% alcohol was in a container. What amount of 90% alcohol had to be added to make it a 70% solution.

Double check your answer to see if it makes sense.

I've never seen a question from the reverse angle, ie, if they give you the final volume, but I'd think it'd be impossible because you'd then have two unknown variables (the quantities of both the initial solutions)

Cheers :smile: I'm still pretty unsure how you would work out the answer though, with only that information :s-smilie:
Would they not also need to give you the final volume of the solution? ( the volume of the final 70% one?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KCosmo
Cheers :smile: I'm still pretty unsure how you would work out the answer though, with only that information :s-smilie:
Would they not also need to give you the final volume of the solution? ( the volume of the final 70% one?)

0.55(75) + 0.9(x) = 0.7(75+x)

41.25 + 0.9x = 52.5 + 0.7x

0.2x = 11.25

x = 56.25

The way you work out whether it's correct (though you most likely won't have time in the exam) is to do (56.25x0.9 + 0.55x75)/75+56.25, ie the alcohol over the total volume.
Original post by Joseppea
*cringes*

Academically, you should be fine - that's a good number of A*s :biggrin:. If you get AAA at A-level then all should be good :smile: Though, as I'm sure about 50 other people on here will tell you, it's not all about grades. You'll need a good UKCAT/BMAT score, some work experience, some voluntary work and some interesting extra curricular activities, as well as a good personal statement and good references.

Applying to medicine is nice and straightforward :wink:

PS. Good luck for next Wednesday! :biggrin:

aha thanks, yep i sure have a LONG way to go still
Reply 6638
SOMEONE REPLY?!?! :'(

okay guysss.. here are my as results

chem b
maths a
bio c
philosophy c

im resiting some of the exams in jan, and that will pull me up to a A in all of them except philosophy which will be a B...

which universitys will take me? wont i have to declare my results on ucas? wont they see that ive done horribly and choose other people even if i have good predicted grades?
the grades i achieved are not like me.. im normally a straight A student..

someone help? :frown:
Reply 6639
Original post by eemooz
SOMEONE REPLY?!?! :'(

okay guysss.. here are my as results

chem b
maths a
bio c
philosophy c

im resiting some of the exams in jan, and that will pull me up to a A in all of them except philosophy which will be a B...

which universitys will take me? wont i have to declare my results on ucas? wont they see that ive done horribly and choose other people even if i have good predicted grades?
the grades i achieved are not like me.. im normally a straight A student..

someone help? :frown:

Here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208

Put your A2 predictions in the A Level section.

Latest

Trending

Trending