The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by infernalcradle
:O

if you look at one of the first posts...it's me saying I'll help :wink:

but again....if you wanna ask me stuff...just quote me

As I quoted you, I want to ask you stuff....

Bad stuff :wink:
Original post by Thepupil
As I quoted you, I want to ask you stuff....

Bad stuff :wink:

oooh ceri...I thought you'd never ask :sexface:

Lol! No comment :wink:... *Awaiting the inevitable outcome in an amused manner* :colone:.
Original post by Okada
Lol! No comment :wink:... *Awaiting the inevitable outcome in an amused manner* :colone:.

haha...since you know it's inevitable....why resist? :sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64

1) I'm nor ceri
2) It's Daniel
3) I'd always ask from you sam, even if you call me a welsh man with no welsh accent :wink:
Original post by Thepupil
1) I'm nor ceri
2) It's Daniel
3) I'd always ask from you sam, even if you call me a welsh man with no welsh accent :wink:

haha, my apologies dan....a mixup between your usernames since its been so long since we spoke using TSR....

with regards to your 3rd point....:sexface:....nothing more needs to be said....not on TSR anyway....
Reply 66
heyy :smile:

im a prospective bm6 student and just had a few q's...
got my AS results today which were BBBC in chem, psychology, maths and bio. i asked my teachers for predictions and they all gave me one grade above, so im ending up with AAAB predictions. are these too high and will the admissions team frown at this? :frown:
also, is the course done at the university? like accomodation is at the uni?
Reply 67
Original post by BethaneyJ
Hey!! I have just finished the BM6 year at Southampton. If anyone came to the open days I was there in the yellow shirt with the uncooperative fringe!

Any questions at all feel free to ask (quote ideally) or PM and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck to all applying and I hope to see you one day join the BM6 family <3

Beth

Hello beth:smile:
I just got my AS results back and i just flunked them really bad! i got BCCD! :frown:
I was planning on applying to BM6 course as it sounds great! But i only got 2 A's in maths and english lit and the rest B's at GCSE. so as you can see, my academic record is prettu much rubbish! I heard that these foundation programmes look out for potential rather then academic? So if i get a really good personal statement down and try hard to get a decent grade at UKCAT what are my chances?
I really think that if i can get across to the admission tutors that i could do this job really well hopefully i could get a offer?
Also, i heard rumours that these courses just consist of a majority of people who are lazy and just there for the sake of it '(not that you guys are!) but thats not true is it!
And beth, i sound really cheeky asking but i would be soooo grateful if you can send me your personal statement? I have many great things i want to talk about, i would love to see how you structured it all out!
Also, during your year what is it that you do? what will an average day be like for you? and once you graduate- does doing a foundation course decrease your chances of employment??
Sorry for long message! hope to hear soon.
Seher Attalia
Original post by Jamal
heyy :smile:

im a prospective bm6 student and just had a few q's...
got my AS results today which were BBBC in chem, psychology, maths and bio. i asked my teachers for predictions and they all gave me one grade above, so im ending up with AAAB predictions. are these too high and will the admissions team frown at this? :frown:
also, is the course done at the university? like accomodation is at the uni?

This is fine. There are people on the BM6 course with 4 A's and some with the minimum. BM6 is not just about a lower entry requirement, so they don't frown at all. As long as you meet the minimum it doesn't matter how well you do or not! :biggrin:

The course is done mainly at Highfield campus yep and as it is a city uni halls are offsite. They are not far from uni at all (and 1st years get a free bus pass). It ranges from a 5 minute walk to a 15 minute bus ride.

Hope this helps!

Any more questions just ask

B
Original post by Honey:)
Hello beth:smile:
I just got my AS results back and i just flunked them really bad! i got BCCD! :frown:
I was planning on applying to BM6 course as it sounds great! But i only got 2 A's in maths and english lit and the rest B's at GCSE. so as you can see, my academic record is prettu much rubbish! I heard that these foundation programmes look out for potential rather then academic? So if i get a really good personal statement down and try hard to get a decent grade at UKCAT what are my chances?
I really think that if i can get across to the admission tutors that i could do this job really well hopefully i could get a offer?
Also, i heard rumours that these courses just consist of a majority of people who are lazy and just there for the sake of it '(not that you guys are!) but thats not true is it!
And beth, i sound really cheeky asking but i would be soooo grateful if you can send me your personal statement? I have many great things i want to talk about, i would love to see how you structured it all out!
Also, during your year what is it that you do? what will an average day be like for you? and once you graduate- does doing a foundation course decrease your chances of employment??
Sorry for long message! hope to hear soon.
Seher Attalia

What subject was your D? Only issue would be if this was in one of the required subjects. As long as you meet the minimum requirement it doesn't matter. And your GCSE's sound just fine. Don't worry!

BCCD is not flunked or really bad! Not at all! Especially if it's BM6 you are hoping to apply for. Most people on the course have the minimum required although some have extremely high. It doesn't matter :biggrin:

They do indeed look for people who have not really had the best chance to do the best they can and have the potential to be great doctors so you're right on track, as long as you're getting work experience if you can. Your grades have not affected your chances at all. Also, remember uni's will only loook at your final grade, not your modules!

These rumours are rubbish. Some people get on it and are lazy, and then they fail and get kicked out. It's not easy, it's a fair amount of work (nothing like when you start the 5 year once you pass, but still). Just ignore these people.

www.bethaney.co.uk/blog - should have both my personal statements on there. I think the one you want (newer) is on page 2 (click older posts at the bottom).

It's a 3 day week and it goes a lil something like this:

Tuesday - Human structure and function (HSF) lectures all morning (this is biology stuff) ( 9 - 1 )
Professional practice (PP) all afternoon (this is sociology, psychology, how to be a good doctor etc). ( 2 - 4)
Wednes - Morning only - alternates between PP lectures and placement.

Thursday - same as monday except PP is statistics.

There is no difference in doing a foundation course like BM6 as it is just a year at the start and then you join the BM5 intake (so I did BM6 2010/11 and will now join BM5 2011-2016). Unless you mention it when applying for a job they won't know, and even if they do they shouldn't care. There are much bigger things to judge you on by then haha!!!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

P.s there are some UKCAT tips on the blog somewhere too in case you were looking for any!
Reply 70
What subject was your D? Only issue would be if this was in one of the required subjects. As long as you meet the minimum requirement it doesn't matter. And your GCSE's sound just fine. Don't worry!

BCCD is not flunked or really bad! Not at all! Especially if it's BM6 you are hoping to apply for. Most people on the course have the minimum required although some have extremely high. It doesn't matter :biggrin:

They do indeed look for people who have not really had the best chance to do the best they can and have the potential to be great doctors so you're right on track, as long as you're getting work experience if you can. Your grades have not affected your chances at all. Also, remember uni's will only loook at your final grade, not your modules!

These rumours are rubbish. Some people get on it and are lazy, and then they fail and get kicked out. It's not easy, it's a fair amount of work (nothing like when you start the 5 year once you pass, but still). Just ignore these people.

www.bethaney.co.uk/blog - should have both my personal statements on there. I think the one you want (newer) is on page 2 (click older posts at the bottom).

It's a 3 day week and it goes a lil something like this:

Tuesday - Human structure and function (HSF) lectures all morning (this is biology stuff) ( 9 - 1 )
Professional practice (PP) all afternoon (this is sociology, psychology, how to be a good doctor etc). ( 2 - 4)
Wednes - Morning only - alternates between PP lectures and placement.

Thursday - same as monday except PP is statistics.

There is no difference in doing a foundation course like BM6 as it is just a year at the start and then you join the BM5 intake (so I did BM6 2010/11 and will now join BM5 2011-2016). Unless you mention it when applying for a job they won't know, and even if they do they shouldn't care. There are much bigger things to judge you on by then haha!!!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

P.s there are some UKCAT tips on the blog somewhere too in case you were looking for any!

Beth thankyou soooo much or that reply! thats really made my day more cheerful! honestly thanks! mann, my D was in chemistry! :frown: but im sure my teachers will predict me a B! i do get along with them really really well!
So say someone was to be predicted lets say ABB and someone else BBB, would that mean the person with ABB is more likely to get a shot at interview? (hope not!)
Also, is it true that this course is only for people who live in the catchment area in east anglia? because i live in east london!
and phew:smile: im glad that the rumours are not true! :biggrin: man, that week actually looks really interesting! only 3 times a week, that means i could work throughout the week too!(Y)
Also, what did you get on your UKCAT? and were your predictions BBB too beth? and on reference, does my teachers have to declare my results?
Thanks again!!
:smile::smile:
xxxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Honey:)
Beth thankyou soooo much or that reply! thats really made my day more cheerful! honestly thanks! mann, my D was in chemistry! :frown: but im sure my teachers will predict me a B! i do get along with them really really well!
So say someone was to be predicted lets say ABB and someone else BBB, would that mean the person with ABB is more likely to get a shot at interview? (hope not!)
Also, is it true that this course is only for people who live in the catchment area in east anglia? because i live in east london!
and phew:smile: im glad that the rumours are not true! :biggrin: man, that week actually looks really interesting! only 3 times a week, that means i could work throughout the week too!(Y)
Also, what did you get on your UKCAT? and were your predictions BBB too beth? and on reference, does my teachers have to declare my results?
Thanks again!!
:smile::smile:
xxxx

You really need to make sure the chemistry grade goes up (but they only look at predicted so that's fine).

Nope, minimum requirements are needed, anything else doesn't matter, you're just as likely to get an interview as someone with 30,000 A*'s at A level! :biggrin:

East Anglia? I think you may be getting it confused with the foundation course at UEA. BM6 programme is at Southampton University in Hampshire and although it used to have a catchment area it no longer does, but you have to be a UK resident.

The idea of the 3 day week is so you can work outside if you need to! But sometimes they get you in mons/fridays randomly, but not too often.

My predictions were AAAA (I didn't get that, but never mind) and my offer was CCC (though it is now BCC).

UKCAT I scored well (average was around 730 I think, can't remember), but although you need it to apply they don't look at it at all when judging your application to BM6 (BM5 they discard the lowest 25% of scorers applications, but BM6 they ignore it).

Not sure about declaring results, I don't think so but your tutor should know and the uni will know via UCAS (but remember they do not look at module results or AS results. They only care about your predicted and then final grades).

Hope this helps!
Reply 72
You really need to make sure the chemistry grade goes up (but they only look at predicted so that's fine).

Nope, minimum requirements are needed, anything else doesn't matter, you're just as likely to get an interview as someone with 30,000 A*'s at A level! :biggrin:

East Anglia? I think you may be getting it confused with the foundation course at UEA. BM6 programme is at Southampton University in Hampshire and although it used to have a catchment area it no longer does, but you have to be a UK resident.

The idea of the 3 day week is so you can work outside if you need to! But sometimes they get you in mons/fridays randomly, but not too often.

My predictions were AAAA (I didn't get that, but never mind) and my offer was CCC (though it is now BCC).

UKCAT I scored well (average was around 730 I think, can't remember), but although you need it to apply they don't look at it at all when judging your application to BM6 (BM5 they discard the lowest 25% of scorers applications, but BM6 they ignore it).

Not sure about declaring results, I don't think so but your tutor should know and the uni will know via UCAS (but remember they do not look at module results or AS results. They only care about your predicted and then final grades).

Hope this helps!

haa, yeah i am getting it confused mind me! So thats true then about being in the same boat as someone predicted 3 A's! phew! and i just gets better! they dont even look at your UKCAT? thats sweet!:smile: and wow, you got predicted 3 A's! thats amazing wish i could do that! go you!
Thankyou so much beth! wish me luck! :smile::smile: I just hope it all goes down well, because i know the competition is crazy!
thanks, you have been great help! i really appreciate people like you!:biggrin: getting advice from an insider is so much better and re assuring! thanks again!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi
if i forfill a lot of the criteria but have AS grades of AAAB - i'm i likely to get rejected?
Original post by FALCONSFURY
Hi
if i forfill a lot of the criteria but have AS grades of AAAB - i'm i likely to get rejected?

Not at all, if you read any of the posts above you will see that as long as you meet the minimum criteria then it is fine. People range from AAAA - BCC in the class so it's no issue.

Don't forget it counts as a medicine choice so you need to make sure you're applying for the right reasons (ie not just because of the grades as you have grades for 5 year courses) as they may ask you why you're doing BM6 and not BM5, (as a back up for missed grades isn't what they want).

hope this helps!

Congrats for your grades!
Thanks
Guess who didnt get into medical school.....
Looks like I'm applying to soton again!
Reply 77
Does anyone know how they confirm the additional entry requirements? Do they ask for proof at interview?
Reply 78
hello,
i am planning to take a gap year and apply. i got bbb and as b aswell. wht are my chances of getting in? is my grades 2 low? has anyone on a gap year with these grades got in?>

If im applying to mediicne and biomedicine, will biomedicine mind it being aimed at medicine?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oggz
Does anyone know how they confirm the additional entry requirements? Do they ask for proof at interview?

Hi Oggz, Southampton usually sends out a supplementary “Eligibility Criteria Form” sometime around November; the form in question is used to confirm which prerequisite criteria the applicant in question satisfies.

Quick Reply