The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

A Few Bits of Advice (for freshers)

WELCOME 2012/13 FRESHERS,

Thought I should share a few little bits of advice I've picked up in my first & second years at Leeds :smile:

First Of All
Leeds is awesome. But if you're going I guess you already know that :wink:

Freshers Week
Freshers week is manic, always. If you want to, there will be opportunities to do essentially everything you could ever possibly want to do (more on nightlife later).

When you get into your room there'll probably be a welcome pack with things like an energy drink, some leaflets, some tabasco sauce (yeah I think they anticipated we'd all try weird shots) and whatever else they feel like putting in. Don't count on there being condoms in there, it was planned for last year but some people complained (:angry: ) so they took them out! However maybe this time they'll be a little less ridiculous.

Make sure to join up to as many societies as you think you could possibly manage at the freshers fair. I can personally recommend things like RockSoc, Leeds Student Radio, and some of the sports societies. Also it's worth signing up with your school society, (Lawsoc, Design Society etc.) you get great deals and awesome nights out through them, and it's a great place to meet people on your course outside of lectures.

Also BUY (good) POSTERS! They go on sale fairly cheap and there are some amazing designs out there. It makes your room so much more homely and chilled out.

Accommodation & Rooms
Rooms are often one of the weirdest things of heading off to uni, and they're pretty much pot luck. Last year I had a lovely and large top floor room whilst some friends had much smaller (but cosier) ones. In the end it's better to become friends with someone who has a nice room than to just envy them.

Most places have single beds, though a few have bigger ones (Charles Morris for example). However honestly all of them have easily enough room for 3 people to share comfortably if you get too drunk and have to crash out (or something like that :colondollar: )

Anyway most rooms are fine to live in, and if you're unhappy with yours, usually the accommodation staff can do something to help. Oh and get yourself a kettle. It's worth it to be able to roll out of bed and get a cuppa first thing in the morning.

Also don't go by the stereotypes of each hall. For some they are trueish however there's always a massive mix of people at each one. You'll always find people you'll want to be around :smile:

Lectures
Yeah the first few weeks tends to be a bit laid back, letting you settle in. Just chill out, but try to be as punctual as you can. It's good practice to be able to turn up on time to a lecture whilst still drunk from the previous night.

Get used to where everything is. Essential places to know:

Parky (Parkinson) Steps

Eddy B (Edward Boyle Library)

Roger Stevens

Union Steps

Old Bar

Terrace

Oh and don't get worried by the workload. It's not piled on really for quite a while (in general.)

Nightlife
Now here's the bit that I'm sure you'd like to know.

The nightlife in Leeds is awesome and honestly suits every taste!
Here's a few recommendations for nights out.

The Union
The LUU hosts tons of nights in the union clubs & venues (there are at least 7 of them!). If you like your mainstream cheese and fun, Fruity is a good start. Running every Friday in Stylus, it always attracts a huge crowd and is definitely worth a look no matter what your taste in music is. Thursdays in Terrace is Cocktail Night with the LSR DJs (myself included) taking to the decks to provide lots of fun. Plus with cheap cocktails everywhere, what have you got to lose?
Other events held less regularly include 2 Smoking Barrels (an Alt/Rock/Metal/Punk night held some wednesdays in Mine and Pulse), Top Gun (for all you power-cheese fans. Full of Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper and other classics. Some Thursdays @ Mine) and the Headphone Disco. Another great night out for those who are deep into the Alt scene is Wendy House. You've never seen so many glowsticks and flashing colours!
Every once in a while beaverworks holds a Psy/Trance/NRG night called Riff Raff which is also excellent, if quite crazy. Not for those who are afraid to dance.
Overall with such a choice you really can't go wrong!

Down Town
In town there are a huge amount of clubs and nights to choose from. Here are a few:
-Tequila (every Thursday at Mezz. Absolutely crazy night! Irresponsible, hedonistic and drunken, but if that floats your boat then enjoy!)
-Warehouse (generally excellent club...plus it has beds!!!)
-Halo (held in an old church. Worth a visit at least once, particularly on Monday as it's quids night)
-Mook (great cocktail bar. Expensive but definitely a good night out)
-The Cockpit (wonderful club/venue. Plays all sorts of music and they even have a ska night!)
-The Faversham (Party hard, every Tuesday! My favourite club. Worth a visit on Tuesdays for Moustache night.)
-Propaganda (held at the o2. Great indie night! )
-Bed (general night out, had some great times there when it was under its previous name)

There are many many more but I don't want to ruin all the fun of discovering them for yourself :wink:

The Otley Run
The fabled pub crawl of Leeds. These are always messy, always fun and always expensive! I made the mistake of losing my ID before my first one so I had to do it half on shots...I broke a rib, crashed out after 14 pubs, woke up with my entire bed bright yellow, and was hungover for the next 3 days!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Otley_Run will tell you everything you need to know, but here's a little quote from the page:
It is widely known that the Otley run usually ends between 11-12 in the evening because of people bailing and vomiting everywhere.

Just stick to pints and make sure you know how you're getting home...or don't, it's amazing either way!

P.s. Law & Med students, prepare for a lot of otley runs!
P.p.s. Lawsoc members, my housemate is on the committee and he has informed me that it is his duty to get you all wrecked by the end of this year. Good luck.

Cultured Things
As pointed out, a lot of my guide here had references to drinking. So I came back to add a section about cultured, interesting things to do around the place.

Although I have not personally been, I have heard of an excellent jazz scene in Leeds

There are some wonderful restaurants (particularly Browns) for having a classy night out with a few friends, or a romantic date if you get so lucky :wink:

The Royal Armouries are definitely worth a visit, particularly if you're living in Clarence Dock as it's right next to you!

Make sure to visit the Corn Exchange and Kirkgate market. There's all sorts of things in there!

If you're up in Dev, LS6 or Chichinis are wonderful places to eat.

There are a HUGE amount of coffee shops around even one in the Parkinson Building! If you like your caffeine, you will be spoilt for choice!

Classical music concerts are on all the time, LUUMS does a few good ones at the end of each term and all through the year individuals play.

Hyde Park is lovely to relax in during day time, particularly in Summer. Also it's a bracing walk at 9AM in November!

There are many active religious groups associated with the university, so if that's what you're looking for, there's no shortage!

A Final Few Fresher Tips
You will end up believing that Leeds is the best place ever.
Keep your ID safe. Losing it ruins your term!
Go to gigs!
People will crash out in your room at one time or another. Just go with the flow and sleep on them or something.
Social norms go out the window by week 3.
Refreshers week (first week of semester 2) is like freshers, but you have friends!
Your student finance is there for alcohol mainly. If you don't drink then you'll have a lot more to spend on useful things.
You can survive solely on vodka for a few days.
Pints are a meal.
Predrinks start at about 9PM and usually go 'til 11.
Ring of fire accelerates the process of meeting people.
Paranoia is a messy drinking game.
As is Drink While You Think
As is Power Hour/Centurion
Don't be sick in the shower. No-one will thank you for it.
Your liver is about to take a serious blow. Enjoy.
You will hear "DOWN IT FRESHARRRRRR" more times than you'd care to. You'll learn to love it!
There will be people handing out leaflets wherever you go. Resist the urge to punch them, it is very tempting! (c/o Sisko_197)
Don't buy books, just buy the revision guides and borrow them from the library (c/o Oligator)
The 95 is the Bodbus, if you are in Boddington then this will be your beloved transport! (I have since been notified that Boddington is shutting down :frown: a sad time for all)
Bus tickets from Hyde Park corner to Morrisons (in town) are £1. Anywhere further out along the otley road to town is more expensive.
If you don't like your course, change in first year! Changing after is harder and you will probably not get student finance to fund you the entire new course. (going through this process as I write!)
Morrisons' basics range contains some excellent food for incredible prices, and they have also recently started selling 4 frying steaks for £2.50! You can still eat well.
There is a society for nearly everything. If there isn't one, go ahead and start one!
The Band Society has access to a cool practice room in the uni grounds (if you ever wonder what that pyramid thing is, the room is under there.) If you want to start up a band, they can help you out.

I shall add to this list as and when I remember any more useful little tips.

Anyways, that's enough from me. So yeah enjoy Fresher year, and if any other second/third etc. years have something to add, just PM me or leave a reply here :P
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do not buy posters, they will almost always look generic

The worst thing about freshers week is the endless leafleting that never seems to end. I just want to go to the library ffs!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I don't drink. I'm gonna die.
Reply 3
Original post by Sisko_197
do not buy posters, they will almost always look generic

The worst thing about freshers week is the endless leafleting that never seems to end. I just want to go to the library ffs!

I shall rephrase, get GOOD posters.

And yes that deserves a mention!

Original post by Selenax

Don't worry, plenty of people don't drink. You can have a perfectly good time without it, I promise :smile:
Original post by Selenax

Don't worry about it, its not all about drinking, you will meet a few people like Skeletor who go on and on about how much they drink and how life revolves around drink but most people will drink a bit as part of social activities but its not the be all and end all.

A lot of the other stuff Skeletor says is good advice about the places to go out and so on, just don't get too intimidated if you aren't a big drinker because its not all the booze fest that he says it is, that just reflects what him and his mates will have done. I can imagine what they were like from his description of the Otley Run.

Leeds is a really good place and its easy to make friends there whatever type of person you are, rowdy, quiet etc, its an easy city to find your way around so hopefully shouldn't feel too scary in the early weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by Selenax

well i do drink, but not always, it depends on mood, if i do i stop when i feel like my set limit is due to so therefore i am pretty sober all the time. and you can have fun!
Thanks for the advice! It's making me excited i cant wait to get there! :biggrin:!
Reply 7
Original post by Selenax

Me neither, but it'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Don't worry about it, its not all about drinking, you will meet a few people like Skeletor who go on and on about how much they drink and how life revolves around drink but most people will drink a bit as part of social activities but its not the be all and end all.

A lot of the other stuff Skeletor says is good advice about the places to go out and so on, just don't get too intimidated if you aren't a big drinker because its not all the booze fest that he says it is, that just reflects what him and his mates will have done. I can imagine what they were like from his description of the Otley Run.

Leeds is a really good place and its easy to make friends there whatever type of person you are, rowdy, quiet etc, its an easy city to find your way around so hopefully shouldn't feel too scary in the early weeks.

I did have a slightly odd first year, wasn't exactly rampant like some though (I possible sound like a little drunkard in my OP, looking back :P )

But yes you're very right, it's not all about alcohol.
In fact I shall remedy my post to include some more cultured things to do, drinking isn't the only thing to do after all.
Reply 9
I'm proper excited about going now. I only live just up the road as it is and I'm so in love with Leeds it's untrue. Can't wait to be moving in. Just wondering how much money I'll even need for Freshers. I have no idea, haha.
Reply 10
Original post by AdamLClough
I'm proper excited about going now. I only live just up the road as it is and I'm so in love with Leeds it's untrue. Can't wait to be moving in. Just wondering how much money I'll even need for Freshers. I have no idea, haha.

hahaha money, i will try to not to spend a lot haha i wonder how it will end up , and i wont get my loan before 21st cuz that was the date i put that my course starts i need to call them tho
Original post by msoynri
hahaha money, i will try to not to spend a lot haha i wonder how it will end up , and i wont get my loan before 21st cuz that was the date i put that my course starts i need to call them tho

yeah, I get my loan on the 21st, too. blaah. i may just not go out from now until starting Uni to finance and entire week ahahah.
Reply 12
Original post by Selenax
I don't drink. I'm gonna die be rich.

Fixed :colonhash:
Original post by AdamLClough

One piece of advice re budgeting for Freshers....yes there will be a lot of opportunities to go out, but do NOT view Freshers as a 'one off' like you have Freshers Week then it settles down and once term starts everything is different. When I was in halls there was minimal difference between Freshers week and much of the first semester, there are still as many opportunities to do stuff.

So if you like going out, make sure you have enough money to fund going out on Freshers but don't spend more than you have to, ie don't drink excessively just because you think you may as well spend your money now...if you're broke then you'll be staying in when other people are still going out after that. I had to run a tight ship financially at uni and I soon learned how to have big nights out and budget nights out...the budget nights out being in the week when I had to get up the next day to go to uni, so I would pay for the entry fee, maybe 1/2 bottles of beer and then a couple of soft drinks after that so I wasn't hung over at uni the next morning. You will soon learn that with so many opportunities to go out, it is possible to go out quite a lot and not spend too much, and still go to uni. Me and the lad I lived with in halls set ourselves a challenge of how many consecutive nights you could go out, the rule being that you were not allowed to miss one lecture or seminar. Not as easy as it sounds. I managed 9 which I thought was pretty impressive, that included two weekends and a full week of uni when I was out till 2/3 every night and still in uni every day (I wasn't drinking any alcohol on some of those nights). But my flatmate managed 21 consecutive days through October of 1st year, and didn't miss one lecture, he was up at breakfast with me every day. Again he wasn't drinking on some of those nights.

I also think if you want to go out every night on Freshers, you can't physically have big nights every time, there will be some students who stop doing stuff on Thursday/Friday of Freshers because they are broke, run down and have Freshers Flu and just can't physically go out any more.
Just remember when you are in uni and living 24/7 with other young people who want to be sociable, there is a different concept of a night out compared to when you are in 6th form and its usually at a weekend and needs more arranging. At uni you will get times when you are just sat around watching TV, on the internets at 11:30pm thinking of going to bed, and a message will pop up on facebook chat from someone you know in the next block saying "hey mate...u around? u able 2 get ready in 5 min cos we're about 2 go 2 Oporto....gonna call the taxi now if ur up 4 it". So you can get a sudden opportunity with no planning and then just put something on and go out. When I was in 1st year I rarely had an answer to the question "what are you doing this weekend", because it would more be a case of, if I felt like going out, I'd just go on facebook or speak to people in halls to find out what people were doing, and tag along with something.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Just remember when you are in uni and living 24/7 with other young people who want to be sociable, there is a different concept of a night out compared to when you are in 6th form and its usually at a weekend and needs more arranging. At uni you will get times when you are just sat around watching TV, on the internets at 11:30pm thinking of going to bed, and a message will pop up on facebook chat from someone you know in the next block saying "hey mate...u around? u able 2 get ready in 5 min cos we're about 2 go 2 Oporto....gonna call the taxi now if ur up 4 it". So you can get a sudden opportunity with no planning and then just put something on and go out. When I was in 1st year I rarely had an answer to the question "what are you doing this weekend", because it would more be a case of, if I felt like going out, I'd just go on facebook or speak to people in halls to find out what people were doing, and tag along with something.

You know what, that actually sounds a lot better. Seriously man, thanks so much for telling us all this stuff, because otherwise, I know personally, I'd be completely lost. So cheers :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Selenax

I don't drink either-not about to start,feel im gonna miss a lot.
Reply 17
Original post by feelbetter
I don't drink either-not about to start,feel im gonna miss a lot.

That's already 3 of us here that don't drink.

You'll be fine, I've been not drinking but hanging out with people who do, for years. I don't think there should be much to miss out: either we find people who don't drink either and have fun in an entirely different way, or we hang out with people who do, and just laugh at them. ;D It's easy really!
Reply 18
I was talking to a friend who is going to another uni about the amount of stuff we have to take to uni - which on a list looks like ALOT. She said you're meant to get your basic cooking items and irons and stuff in the welcome pack? Is that true? Or just something for her uni.

Also, in halls (I will hopefully be in Devonshire), what will be in the room before I get there? I've seen so many "WHAT TO TAKE TO UNI" lists and some even have a bin on it, which I quite unusual - but it something that I'll need!

And finally, how much decorating space will I roughly get? In my school boarding room (which was pretty small) had everywhere covered! You couldn't even see the wall! So I don't want to bring that much if there's nowhere to put it.

Thanks for your time! This thread is so useful.

X
Reply 19
My brother does Medicine at Leeds and is having a great time but I remember one memorably story he told me about freshers. We dropped him off quite late on a Friday and he ended up drinking in his halls on campus with his flatmates before going out. His 'going out' sounds like quite an experience. Nobody really knew where to go, so he said they all stumbled out on the main road which is completely full of rowdy locals going to places like Tiger Tiger. Like him, I think I'd find those types of places really crap but it must have been a bit off putting on your first night to be surrounded by those types of tacky girls and super hyped up agressive guys.

Since then I've visited him and there's loads of other cool places, they just take a bit to find and he said it took a bit to find people to go there with and those people are now his mates, most of them I don't think he even met during freshers. I'm only 16 but we managed to get into this over 21s swing jazz type bar place. It was sooo cool. I can't wait to go to uni, got two years of sixthform first though!

Quick Reply

Latest