The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
I wonder if any one has a list of colleges that prefer FM. For me, I am taking it to A2 and I took it so I could have the what now seems mythical advantage. So, I'll feel a little cheated if there wasn't any benefit in taking FM :frown:.

Cambridge
Bristol
Warwick (more so as a fourth A level)

Having further maths will always strengthen your application but more so at these universities I'd say.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Cambridge
Bristol

Having further maths will always strengthen your application but more so at these universities I'd say.

I think he meant which colleges at Cambridge preferred it not which uni's.

Tateco which college are you applying to?
Reply 1562
Cambridge
Bristol

What about UCL? and LSE? I remember LSE having something on their site abou it last year.
Original post by zxh800
What about UCL? and LSE? I remember LSE having something on their site abou it last year.

LSE definetely yes. They are famous for preferring FM. UCL does not. It was also stated by some person here in this thread who talked to an admissions tutor at UCL.
Reply 1564
Cambridge
Bristol

Warwick admissions tutors have confirmed it's not a preferred A-level, as have several Cambridge colleges.

Original post by zxh800

I've emailed UCL so I will find out, LSE definitely prefer it but it's the only one I know for sure.

I might have considered doing biology to A2 but I did no work for it for the start of A2 or over the summer, don't think I'll do it because I don't like it enough, rather focus on my other subjects to try and get A*AA
Reply 1565
Original post by Psychotic546
I think he meant which colleges at Cambridge preferred it not which uni's.

Tateco which college are you applying to?

Emma I think, so is Groat, think it's going to be very competitive...
Reply 1566
How competitive are Birmingham, St Andrews, Exeter and York for straight economics?

My AS grades were AAA (Maths, Law, Economics) and C (History)

My GCSE's were A*AAABBBB

Are there any other universities you guys could recommend with my sort of grades? Cheers!
Reply 1567
Original post by Antonton
How competitive are Birmingham, St Andrews, Exeter and York for straight economics?

My AS grades were AAA (Maths, Law, Economics) and C (History)

My GCSE's were A*AAABBBB

Are there any other universities you guys could recommend with my sort of grades? Cheers!

I think you could make a competitive application for all of those places, Exeter gives out a lot of A*AA offers though :smile:

Manchester, Southampton are another two very good universities in a similar league :smile:
Reply 1568
Original post by Tateco
I think you could make a competitive application for all of those places, Exeter gives out a lot of A*AA offers though :smile:

Manchester, Southampton are another two very good universities in a similar league :smile:

How about Bath? Is that really competitive?

Cheers for your advice :smile:.

I averaged 90ish in Economics, I think I could push for that...
Reply 1569
How about Bath? Is that really competitive?

Cheers for your advice :smile:.

I averaged 90ish in Economics, I think I could push for that...

Bath is quite competitive, it would be your most competitive choice, but probably worth it. I'm definitely applying for it the course looks really good :smile:

Yeah definitely, talk to your teacher and try and get the A* :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Emma I think, so is Groat, think it's going to be very competitive...

Yeah it will be. Would really help if Oxford did straight Economics :rolleyes:
Original post by Tateco
Who said they ask for UMS? (I'm not disagreeing, just want to know because it will affect whether or not I apply!)

Ask any1 who has previously applied, I applied past year and they sent my another application asking for UMS
Reply 1572
Original post by Tateco
Bath is quite competitive, it would be your most competitive choice, but probably worth it. I'm definitely applying for it the course looks really good :smile:

Yeah definitely, talk to your teacher and try and get the A* :smile:

Cheers :smile:. What are there views on weaker GCSE grades?
Original post by TheSquareMile
Econ, maths, FM, physics :smile:

Good choice, I did those four as well. :smile:
Cambridge Econ Fresher now :dance:

Here to help should anyone require it :h:
Reply 1575
Cheers :smile:. What are there views on weaker GCSE grades?

I don't know much about Bath and GCSE grades, from the applicants last year they seem to like straight As at AS (even if you have done five subjects) and that's all I know really!

Original post by economyst
Ask any1 who has previously applied, I applied past year and they sent my another application asking for UMS

Oooh, that's interesting thanks :smile:

Yeah it will be. Would really help if Oxford did straight Economics :rolleyes:

I think I'd still go for Cambridge :tongue: Which college you thinking of?
Original post by Tateco

I think I'd still go for Cambridge :tongue: Which college you thinking of?

I would too but perhaps it would lessen competition. I'm applying for Christ's :smile: Come to think of it I should check their preference for FM unless any of you know?
Reply 1577
I would too but perhaps it would lessen competition. I'm applying for Christ's :smile: Come to think of it I should check their preference for FM unless any of you know?

I do as it happens :tongue: It was on my final short list (of two colleges)

"The most important factor for all applicants for Economics is to have achieved as high a level of mathematical ability as possible. So taking AS Further Maths would indeed be helpful for your own benefit."

I asked if FM AS would improve my application. Not sure whether that means it would help me when applying or if it just means it would be good preparation...
AS Grades > AAA - Maths, Economics, ICT D-Technology
GCSE's A*AAAAABBBB

With these grades which Unis should I be aiming for?
Original post by Tateco
I do as it happens :tongue: It was on my final short list (of two colleges)

"The most important factor for all applicants for Economics is to have achieved as high a level of mathematical ability as possible. So taking AS Further Maths would indeed be helpful for your own benefit."

I asked if FM AS would improve my application. Not sure whether that means it would help me when applying or if it just means it would be good preparation...

Ahh thanks, seems they're saying it's useful for you but I do see the implication that it would help an application. I'm doing the A level FM so I think it may help.

Original post by dsinghdahiya257
AS Grades > AAA - Maths, Economics, ICT D-Technology
GCSE's A*AAAAABBBB

With these grades which Unis should I be aiming for?

I'd imagine with that you'd be looking at Exeter/ York/ Nottingham calibre of uni. What do you imagine you'll have at A level?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending