The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
Original post by AlexusWelsh1993
Hey everyone, well done on your results! I got AAAA, in English Lit, Drama and Theatre Studies, Religious Studies and General Studies, but a D in Spanish! How do you think these will fair in an Oxford application? Because some people only apply with 3 A levels anyway don't they? So do you think my fourth 'bad' AS grade will be a hindrance to my application? Looking at A*A*AA predictions next year I hope... (one's General studies though :P). Thanks in advance :smile: x x

Hey, nice results but as for the D, what are you applying for in Oxford? That will determine its effect since it would only have a small impact if you apply for say mathematics, etc. whereas for the arts...

The predictions are more or less average of an Ox offer holder (I was told 3 A*'s the average but that might just be for mathematics, but its probably around that) so thats fine. (Actually, do you mean that one of the A*'s GS? Because most courses neglect that... But if not, then you're definitely set)
Original post by Reminisce
Hey, nice results but as for the D, what are you applying for in Oxford? That will determine its effect since it would only have a small impact if you apply for say mathematics, etc. whereas for the arts...

The predictions are more or less average of an Ox offer holder (I was told 3 A*'s the average but that might just be for mathematics, but its probably around that) so thats fine. (Actually, do you mean that one of the A*'s GS? Because most courses neglect that... But if not, then you're definitely set)

I'm applying for English Lit and Lang :L Extremely competitive !! There's always the entrance exam though, and my personal statement. My heart's not completely set on it, so it wont be the end of the world if they don't interview me. I might write in my reference that no-one in my year achieved above a D in Spanish this year, and that it was surprising considering I was getting As and Bs in my homework essays... the teacher was utter *******s!
Oh and, no the A stars wont be in General studies! :P I might beg my english teacher to give me an A star prediction for English Lit too, even though I only got 86 % in the exam x
Reply 4643
AS-results mean that I have a chance of getting in :biggrin: (but am now faced with the depressing task of having to write my personal statement)
Reply 4644
I'm applying for English Lit and Lang :L Extremely competitive !! There's always the entrance exam though, and my personal statement. My heart's not completely set on it, so it wont be the end of the world if they don't interview me. I might write in my reference that no-one in my year achieved above a D in Spanish this year, and that it was surprising considering I was getting As and Bs in my homework essays... the teacher was utter *******s!

Yeah the D would have an impact seen as this is a language... However, like you said, there are other factors so focus on them now!

And don't mention that in your PS, :smile: use it to convey your passion for English.
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Yeah :/ And no,you probably didn't get a D, even if you feltyou messed up the exam a bit,so maybe a remark is worth it?:frown: And yeah it would be depressing, but it miht not even be your actual grade, cuz english exam marking is so faily:biggrin:
Ah, English XD And I just managed to scrape an A.

I got a D in the exam, my coursework pulled it up to a C overall. But i'm definitely gonna retake it, because i doubt a remark could actually pull me up to an A? I wish i had listened to all the people who told me to not take English for AS :/

Original post by medbh4805
Right - to be honest, the D doesn't look great, as I'm sure you're aware of the massive amount of literature involved in Classics. However you do have good grades in history and RS which are strong essay subjects :smile: So I would get a remark and provided that your teacher *predicts* you an A/B for English lit I would still go for it. :smile: You have nothing to lose by applying, don't forget there are the Classics aptitude test, essays, PS, extra reading, interviews etc so you have lots of other ways to show them that you should get a place :smile:

Well i was always going to drop English after AS anyway, so my teachers won't need to give me a predicted grade for english? And hopefully i'll retake/remark and get an A :smile: And i'll put lots of work into all the other stuff considered when applying so that *hopefully* just maybe, i'll get a place :smile:
Reply 4646
Original post by tripleeagle
I'm applying for Economics & Management. Do you know anybody reading E&M at Oxford?

I've got a feeling I either know someone who does or who is planning to - I'll have a think and get back to you :smile:
Reply 4647
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Ah, its amazing :biggrin: English XD You?

History and Spanish :smile: ah, english - you'll appreciate the super-amazing-fantastically-beautiful library then...?

God, I really am smitten with Queen's - I'm gonna be devastated if I don't get in :frown:
Reply 4648
I've never been in so many people's houses in one night too :lolwut: it was strange I must say....I only just got home too :holmes:

not even a hangover to show for it :sad: and I bought myself a quarter bottle in advance too :sad:

I'm just thankful I can drink till I drop (literally in some cases :/ ) and still not have a hangover the day after - going to make uni life SO much easier :cheers:
Original post by Jester94
I'm just thankful I can drink till I drop (literally in some cases :/ ) and still not have a hangover the day after - going to make uni life SO much easier :cheers:

my friends all say they're knuckling down for A2, so I don't know what next year's going to be like, one of my friends who usually always up for the craic says she's not going out except for our formal, hallowe'en, new year's eve etc :lolwut: yeah I can usually go out and be fine the next day, provided I don't do something ridiculous like stay up to 8am or neck a tenglass (advice: don't do this) or something....I was really looking forward to upper sixth because I'm eighteen and I can enjoy it properly, but it looks like it's not going to happen :sad:

can't wait til uni :beer:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4650
my friends all say they're knuckling down for A2, so I don't know what next year's going to be like, one of my friends who usually always up for the craic says she's not going out except for our formal, hallowe'en, new year's eve etc :lolwut: yeah I can usually go out and be fine the next day, provided I don't do something ridiculous like stay up to 8am or neck a tenglass (advice: don't do this) or something....I was really looking forward to upper sixth because I'm eighteen and I can enjoy it properly, but it looks like it's not going to happen :sad:

can't wait til uni :beer:

I have absolutely no idea what a tenglass is! I know, things will be so much easier when I'm eighteen - although having said that, I walked into a shop the other day and bought a crate of beer, without being asked for ID...
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Hi guys, I hope you're all pleased with results :smile:

Does anyone know how much emphasis Oxford place on a 4th AS level (not taken to A2)? As I got 3 As today, but blundered in my 4th subject. I am planning to re-sit, but I'm curious. (In fact I'm picking up a previously dropped subject at A2 level as well to improve my chances, as with my new altered subjects I'll be predicted A*A*A*)

Sorry to bump this, but would be grateful for your thoughts :smile:
I have absolutely no idea what a tenglass is! I know, things will be so much easier when I'm eighteen - although having said that, I walked into a shop the other day and bought a crate of beer, without being asked for ID...

A tenglass :pierre:

Spoiler

the only time I didn't get asked for ID in an off licence was on Christmas Eve. I bought a half bottle of sherry to make a trifle. :getmecoat:

I am a rebel bitches.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4653
A tenglass :pierre:

Spoiler

the only time I didn't get asked for ID in an off licence was on Christmas Eve. I bought a half bottle of sherry to make a trifle. :getmecoat:

I am a rebel bitches.

Ah, yeah, imagine that isn't the best idea ever!

Ooh, wow, get you - that's some dangerous alcohol usage going on right there that is :P
Ah, yeah, imagine that isn't the best idea ever!

Ooh, wow, get you - that's some dangerous alcohol usage going on right there that is :P

I bought a sherry glass in a charity shop the other day, I'm going to take it to uni and drink sherry all the time just to troll people :colonhash:
Reply 4655
I bought a sherry glass in a charity shop the other day, I'm going to take it to uni and drink sherry all the time just to troll people :colonhash:

God, I haven't drunk sherry in forever - I may have to join you round Oxford with a bottle of sherry (I may substitute that for a beer/something else, but whatever)

Jheez, I really sound like an alcoholic :frown:
God, I haven't drunk sherry in forever - I may have to join you round Oxford with a bottle of sherry (I may substitute that for a beer/something else, but whatever)

Jheez, I really sound like an alcoholic :frown:

I used to always be given it at the end of a meal to have with dessert (though more commonly we just got dessert wine), it grows on you :sogood:

yeah, me too, I hope no admissions tutors are reading this :teehee:
Did you know that this year you MUST cash in AS results? It's a new rule!!! I wouldn't declare my D in Spanish otherwise :frown: There's no way around it mate! x

Who on earth said that? It still says on the Oxford website not to worry about ones which aren't cashed in, oh god please be wrong! Besides mine can't be cashed in I don't think because one of my maths module was A2.
Reply 4658
I used to always be given it at the end of a meal to have with dessert (though more commonly we just got dessert wine), it grows on you :sogood:

yeah, me too, I hope no admissions tutors are reading this :teehee:

Are Oxford dons not infamous for plundering the college wine cellar???

They were in Northern Lights at least!
Original post by mangostrawberry
Who on earth said that? It still says on the Oxford website not to worry about ones which aren't cashed in, oh god please be wrong! Besides mine can't be cashed in I don't think because one of my maths module was A2.

I think - but do check this - it's more that schools (or anyway state funded schools) will have an incentive to get AS grades cashed in because it will have an implication for their funding if they don't. And of course once a grade is cashed in, you have to put it down. So if that's right, you'd want to check with your school what they're doing.

Latest

Trending

Trending