The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soutioirsim
Hahaha! Like dying your hair or something? :p:

I don't actually know, in the confirmation letter I got today it just says we will hear from them shortly. I get the feeling we'll get a freshers pack in the next week then :yep:

O:
Exeter said we'd get a freshers pack 'at the end of august', which is fairly ambiguous.
RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED THOUGHHH - any exonians in the house?! :ahee:
Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb
What is Freshers week going to be like does anyone know?? :shifty:

Proper mental :colonhash:
Original post by pieceofheaven
O:
Exeter said we'd get a freshers pack 'at the end of august', which is fairly ambiguous.
RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED THOUGHHH - any exonians in the house?! :ahee:

Me! There are a few more of us about, too. What subject are you doing?
Original post by LtCommanderData
Me! There are a few more of us about, too. What subject are you doing?

Actually, i think i remember your data icon! I'm doing medicine :smile: or as they like to call it..physiological sciences :rolleyes:
I wish we could just start now tbh- although i might change my mind if we get a reading list..! What are you doing? :biggrin:
Original post by pieceofheaven
Actually, i think i remember your data icon! I'm doing medicine :smile: or as they like to call it..physiological sciences :rolleyes:
I wish we could just start now tbh- although i might change my mind if we get a reading list..! What are you doing? :biggrin:

I know the feeling! It's bizarre, but all summer I've felt like I just want to get on with university rather than have this long break!

I'm doing maths with computer science :biggrin:
Original post by blergh22
Congratz all. Though has anyone else not received anything since meeting their offer?

Me! Its slightly worrying...
Original post by anoif_
Christ Church lawyer here (wow that sounds weird!) Am I the only one finding it hard to understand loads of what the attachments say? God knows how I'll cope with the degree!

Tell me about it! There's so many words to read, and so little's going in! After nearly reading all the documents I realise just how much stuff I need to get sorted out in the coming weeks.. ! :biggrin:
Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb
What is Freshers week going to be like does anyone know?? :shifty:

Your college will put on lost of events for meeting people and generally having fun.

That's just a list of club nights... although maybe you aren't being serious :dontknow: :getmecoat:
Reply 2868
When does the college tell you to register? Mine is Oct.2nd. Can I go afterwards?
Got a load of freshers stuff in the post today!! :eek3:
Original post by dbmag9
x

Original post by Festina lente
x

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I shall be getting a mortarboard then :biggrin:
How do we pay our accomodation fees? Do you do it when you get there or sort it out in advance? Or does it vary college to college?
Original post by riotgrrl
How do we pay our accomodation fees? Do you do it when you get there or sort it out in advance? Or does it vary college to college?

it varies by college. at LMH, for example, we have an option whether to pay annually or termly, the first payment of which is due in 1st week - i assume most colleges have a similar system, as most people are paying for their accommodation with their student loans, and this comes termly and only once your attendance has been confirmed (ie once term starts). your college should send you lots of info about payments etc. over the next couple of weeks. be prepared for unholy amounts of paperwork! hah.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2873
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Yes, so many things to sign ... really quite intimidated. It didn't fit through our letterbox! Do you get the impression that we have to order gowns and stuff under our own steam?

I was sent three order forms for different companies who sell the same stuff for the same prices, I think the normal process is you preorder and collect it once you get to Oxford.

EDIT:
Original post by dbmag9
The freshers' stuff should be public, so no.

Negged for this? How odd.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2874
It sounds like most people have had something about it with everything else in the post/email, but all it said in the Queen's wad was that we have to get some.

This is what we got (I assume they were posted as well, but I'm out of the country); they also sell the same on the Oxford University Shop website, but for more money, which seems odd. Pretty sure you can also order online from their websites.

EDIT: From the link, go through "Resources", "Information for incoming undergraduates", "Academic Gowns".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2875
OK I have some quick questions as I haven't had anything from Magdalen yet and know nothing about anything -
what day does Freshers actually start/do we arrive and unpack before then?
when is Matriculation?
for sub fusc (had never even heard of this haha) do we hire a gown when we're there before Matriculation?

thanks for answers
Has anyone NOT received anything?! I had my UCAS confirmation letter today but haven't had anything electronic or on paper from college :/ (St Anne's).
Reply 2877
Interesting that all those forms look the same and sell the same things for the same price ...

Queen's seems to refuse to use the internet to communicate :mad: Some pieces of information are repeated in different booklets with slight discrepancies between them (e. g. they give three different prices for dinner). I also seem to have been sent a form that the Senior Tutor was supposed to send to the linguistics department. I'm copying all this information they've given me into a notebook to try to make sense of it :frown:

Yeah, on the websites they even use the same photo; I was complaining about it yesterday. :p:

Luckily Merton have turned out to be pretty good internet-wise, which is a great help seeing as I'm not in the country and my parents are away from the house for a bit (so no mail-forwarding duties).

Original post by sabreese
OK I have some quick questions as I haven't had anything from Magdalen yet and know nothing about anything -
what day does Freshers actually start/do we arrive and unpack before then?
when is Matriculation?
for sub fusc (had never even heard of this haha) do we hire a gown when we're there before Matriculation?

thanks for answers

0th week (freshers' week) starts on the 2nd, but different colleges will have you arriving on different days, and international students might arrive a bit before that. Merton has us arriving on the 3rd, and freshers' stuff starts that evening.

Matriculation is on the 15th (assuming I'm right in inferring that everyone matriculates together).

It's theoretically possible to hire a gown, but you'll need to wear subfusc (white shirt, black skirt/trousers/shoes, black ribbon), gown and cap (mortarboard) for matriculation and exams, and the gown (on top of regular clothes) for formal hall if you go, so almost everyone buys one. You can order in advance and collect it when you get to Oxford, or buy when you get there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2878
My one piece of advice for sub-fusc - don't buy the gown sold through OUSU - a couple of people in my year got those, and they were properly rank - all shiny and synthetic, and just funny proportions. The Shepherd & Woodward / Ede & Ravenscroft gowns are much more aesthetically pleasing, even if they are still a little synthetic. Of course, if you're sure that you're going to be promoted to exhibitioner/scholar, you might as well wait to splash out when you get your sleeves...
Original post by henryt
My one piece of advice for sub-fusc - don't buy the gown sold through OUSU - a couple of people in my year got those, and they were properly rank - all shiny and synthetic, and just funny proportions. The Shepherd & Woodward / Ede & Ravenscroft gowns are much more aesthetically pleasing, even if they are still a little synthetic. Of course, if you're sure that you're going to be promoted to exhibitioner/scholar, you might as well wait to splash out when you get your sleeves...

What are exhibitions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending