The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mangostrawberry

Original post by mangostrawberry
Who on earth said that? It still says on the Oxford website not to worry about ones which aren't cashed in, oh god please be wrong! Besides mine can't be cashed in I don't think because one of my maths module was A2.
Don't worry.

If your school hasn't cashed in your qualifications then under new rules your school might miss out on funding, and possibly won't look so good in league tables. It won't negatively affect you.

[The reason people say you must cash in this year is that schools would be pretty stupid to miss out on an awful lot of funding from not cashing in results]
Original post by candide
Are Oxford dons not infamous for plundering the college wine cellar???

They were in Northern Lights at least!

I hope so :colone:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Sorry to bump this, but would be grateful for your thoughts :smile:

An Oxford admissions person came to school to answer questions like those - she said a B in a 4th AS doesn't affect you too badly.

Username: RibenaRockstar
Subject: PPE
GCSEs: 5A*, 5A, 2B
AS: 3A (Spanish, politics, maths), B (English lit.)
A-Level predictions: A* (maths), AA (Spanish, politics)
College: Brasenose
Original post by fluteflute
Don't worry.

If your school hasn't cashed in your qualifications then under new rules your school might miss out on funding, and possibly won't look so good in league tables. It won't negatively affect you.

[The reason people say you must cash in this year is that schools would be pretty stupid to miss out on an awful lot of funding from not cashing in results]

But it will negatively affect me I think!! Getting a D?! :L lol!! Does it mean that I HAVE TO put it on my UCAS form? x x
Reply 4664
Original post by medbh4805
I used to always be given it at the end of a meal to have with dessert (though more commonly we just got dessert wine), it grows on you :sogood:

yeah, me too, I hope no admissions tutors are reading this :teehee:

Ah, well, at least it proves we aren't workaholics are suppose - all work and no play makes for a dull life :biggrin:
Reply 4665
Original post by AlexusWelsh1993
But it will negatively affect me I think!! Getting a D?! :L lol!! Does it mean that I HAVE TO put it on my UCAS form? x x

Yes I think you do, if it is showing as an AS cashed-in grade (capital D rather than lower case d) on your results sheet.
Original post by Lizzy12
Yes I think you do, if it is showing as an AS cashed-in grade (capital D rather than lower case d) on your results sheet.

FML, I'll never get an interview at Oxford or UCL !
Original post by Ayeshaa:)
I got a D in the exam, my coursework pulled it up to a C overall. But i'm definitely gonna retake it, because i doubt a remark could actually pull me up to an A? I wish i had listened to all the people who told me to not take English for AS :/

Well i was always going to drop English after AS anyway, so my teachers won't need to give me a predicted grade for english? And hopefully i'll retake/remark and get an A :smile: And i'll put lots of work into all the other stuff considered when applying so that *hopefully* just maybe, i'll get a place :smile:

Ahh I see :frown: Well, if you thought you did brtter than a d you probably have ._. it depends on how good your coursework is too though. and yeah maybe get a retake then :O it might save you money if you just go for the resit. and yeah thats true =/ well good luck anyway :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jester94
History and Spanish :smile: ah, english - you'll appreciate the super-amazing-fantastically-beautiful library then...?

God, I really am smitten with Queen's - I'm gonna be devastated if I don't get in :frown:

Ohhh I was caught between English and Spanish or just plain English so awesome XD Yeaaah the library we didn;t see much of it but I loved what I did see XD I thought the chapel was stunning XD And the front quad.. the students giving us tours were nice too :biggrin:

Me too, and that JCR was awesome too :biggrin: Ah me too, to be honest, not very confident, but I love it too much to not try XD But good luckl to you :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
Nice results :smile: But how come that you do 13 modules for Maths :tongue:

I can't remember the exact reason given, but I think it's supposed to be so that if we muck up one of our modules, we can still use the other 6 to make our grade - this is good in theory, until you realise that if we spent the time we're spending learning the extra module on more revision of the other modules, we probably wouldn't need the backup module :tongue:
Reply 4670
I'm applying for mathematics, college yet to be determined but I like the look of Merton.

A-level results were:
Maths A*
F. Maths A*
Classics A
Art and Design A*
AS:
politics A
critical thinking A

I am taking this year out for several reasons, although it is not ideal. My worry is that, particularly for mathematics, this will significantly disadvantage my application. Any advice regarding this would be very welcome! I am sitting M2, M3 and M4 next summer as I did not have the oppertunity to study these last year. I am also sitting STEP 1 and 2. Another worry is the lack of other sciences to compliment the maths? To me it seems strange that it would be a disadvantage but I'm just going on hearsay.
Finally...
Any advice on MAT preparation?

Thankyou! :smile:
Original post by Lizzie_H
I'm applying for mathematics, college yet to be determined but I like the look of Merton.

A-level results were:
Maths A*
F. Maths A*
Classics A
Art and Design A*
AS:
politics A
critical thinking A

I am taking this year out for several reasons, although it is not ideal. My worry is that, particularly for mathematics, this will significantly disadvantage my application. Any advice regarding this would be very welcome! I am sitting M2, M3 and M4 next summer as I did not have the oppertunity to study these last year. I am also sitting STEP 1 and 2. Another worry is the lack of other sciences to compliment the maths? To me it seems strange that it would be a disadvantage but I'm just going on hearsay.
Finally...
Any advice on MAT preparation?

Thankyou! :smile:

Hey,

I did the exact same thing as you last year and got into Oxford for maths, so it is possible to go on a gap year! You seem to be doing all the right things, don't worry about the lack of sciences I doubt that will be much of an issue.

Do all the MAT past papers,and then there isn't much you can do beyond knowing all of C1 and C2 completely. STEP might help a little, good luck!
Reply 4672
It might be an idea to contact the college to find out their stance on gap year applications. As long as you're doing something to keep your mathsyness going, you should be fine. Doing lots of mechanics modules is a good idea and a more than adequate alternative to having taken physics.

Make sure you do all the old MAT papers available online, and do them under timed conditions. Remember that MAT is an AS-level paper in terms of the concepts you need to know, so go over the basic trig, log rules, etc. and learn it all really thoroughly.
Very excited to be applying to Oxford this Autumn. I'm post-A-level, got my grades this week and taking a year out to do work experience in interesting fields. Got A*s in English and History, As in Music and Religious Studies... applying to read Theology. Is there anybody else here applying for the same course? If so, what A Levels did you do and where else are you applying? :smile:
Original post by nicholascrossland
Very excited to be applying to Oxford this Autumn. I'm post-A-level, got my grades this week and taking a year out to do work experience in interesting fields. Got A*s in English and History, As in Music and Religious Studies... applying to read Theology. Is there anybody else here applying for the same course? If so, what A Levels did you do and where else are you applying? :smile:

i'm not an applicant but i'm currently studying theology at oxford, so if you have any questions about the course etc feel free to ask :smile:
What do Oxford think about resits? I got an A in maths but will probs resit in January to get an A star. Will they know care? (Eng lit applicant btw)
Original post by thethinker
What do Oxford think about resits? I got an A in maths but will probs resit in January to get an A star. Will they know care? (Eng lit applicant btw)

They will know about that but I am not sure whether they care. But if you apply for English Lit, will you really need an A* in Maths? The offer is AAA and Maths is not relevant to your chosen degree. They will care much more about your English grades. So my guess is: It won't bring you any advantages. But if you do resit it will also not put you at a disadvantage.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4677
Original post by thethinker

I doubt they'll be bothered either way, as maths is hardly the most relevant of your subjects.
Original post by victoire
i'm not an applicant but i'm currently studying theology at oxford, so if you have any questions about the course etc feel free to ask :smile:

You're at LMH!! :woo:

:colondollar:
Original post by medbh4805
You're at LMH!! :woo:

:colondollar:

glad to see you've chosen to apply to (obviously) the best oxford college :wink:

Latest