The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
Basically, not to sound negative, but what are you guys gonna do if you don't get in this year?

I'm totally undecided. I don't know whether to go for chemical engineering... It kinda rules out graduate entry if I end up wanting to go for it. Then I was thinking of doing biomedical science and then graduate entry.... But then if I don't get in afterwards. What can you even do with that degree?
Reply 3061
Original post by Harbour Seal
Don't apply to Glasgow or Dundee please :frown:

Man, you are just ACE. How did you do so well on QR and DA?

This.

I want as little competition as possible...
Original post by twelve
I know i'm late, and quoting doesn't seem to work/would be difficult to quote everyone I want to congratulate/console.

So yeah, CONGRATULATIONS to everyone, you worked your hardest, and I'm really glad most of you have the grades you deserve. And for those of you who didn't get the zillion A*'s you deserve, (FunsizedKarateGeek, I'm thinking of you especially) remark, and hope for the best. I think you do get your money refunded, so hopefully you will. Really am gutted for you, and everyone else - you all deserve amazing results!

And now my newssss:
UKCAT; I thought he'd printed the wrong results sheet to start with. (the average is definitely right, can't be bothered to check the rest!)
VR: 690
QR: 850
AR: 640
DA: 820
Meaning an average of 752.5 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And for results:
Chem: A*
Bio: A*
Maths: A*
Further maths: A

Includign, I'm told, full marks in all A2 chem modules, and the final bio exam! I actually cannot believe it...

Excellent grades and UKCAT! Very well done! Just gave you +ve rep to balance the idiot who gave you -ve rep. Jealously much...

Congrats and best of luck for your applications!
Original post by 786girl
are u gonna resit the biology?

I cant resit biology because those are my A2 results and most medical schools won't accept A levels done over three years. But I meet the entry requirement for most medical schools as they want three A's including a science like Chemistry or Biology and if only one is offered at A2, the other one must be offered at AS Level with at least a B. But Ive got the B at full A Level :P and also some medical schools will give you an AAAC offer if you offer 4 A levels eg Barts and Imperial.
A person I know got a B in Chemistry and wants to apply for medicine. She said that she will be resitting even though its her A2 results. Is this possible? Are there any universities that accept A levels over three years?
Original post by futuredoc77
Well done! :five:

So what is your current university/UCAS status ? :tongue:
Original post by Scarface-Don
A person I know got a B in Chemistry and wants to apply for medicine. She said that she will be resitting even though its her A2 results. Is this possible? Are there any universities that accept A levels over three years?

Some universities accept resits, yes. Keele and UEA as far as I know. Southampton did last year assuming you only needed to resit one exam to get AAA overall. BSMS and PMS, I'm not sure about their policies. Best bet is to contact each individual university to confirm it.
Reply 3067
Original post by twelve
I know i'm late, and quoting doesn't seem to work/would be difficult to quote everyone I want to congratulate/console.

So yeah, CONGRATULATIONS to everyone, you worked your hardest, and I'm really glad most of you have the grades you deserve. And for those of you who didn't get the zillion A*'s you deserve, (FunsizedKarateGeek, I'm thinking of you especially) remark, and hope for the best. I think you do get your money refunded, so hopefully you will. Really am gutted for you, and everyone else - you all deserve amazing results!

And now my newssss:
UKCAT; I thought he'd printed the wrong results sheet to start with. (the average is definitely right, can't be bothered to check the rest!)

And for results:

Includign, I'm told, full marks in all A2 chem modules, and the final bio exam! I actually cannot believe it...

Aww **** no way, Boy am i glad i'm not re-applying against you
Original post by futuredoc77
:giggle:

Exactly. Plus if it does make a difference, you won't even think of the money EVER again.

True. When i told my mum how many UMS i was away, the first thing she asked was "How much is a re-mark", the second thing she said was "Go and get my my cheque book". I happily obliged :smile:
6 modules is a lot to get re-marked and i may end up being black-listed by OCR and Edexcel because i've pretty much accused them of not being competent enough to tick boxes against a mark scheme but oh well :rolleyes:

Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Hopefully! That's all you can do for now. I remember getting remarks last year - one module went lower (:rolleyes:) and the other stayed the same (needed one of two marks :sigh:) but I'm still glad I went through with it because at least I covered every area rather than thinking later "what if my grade could've gone up?"

Wow that must of been tough :redface:
I've kind of got a plan for whatever the outcome of my grades though.
My saving grace is that all of the unis i was planning on applying to anyway (except liverpool i think) will accept an application from me if I only retake one subject/module - need to find out more about this, hopefully i won't need this info but at least it's good to know i may still be able to continue with my gap year. I don't want to rush off to uni just yet lol

Original post by twelve

And now my newssss:

And for results:

WOW well done, that is fantastic! I'm soo proud of you!
You will knock 'em dead this year, i know it :wink:

As for myself, i'll carry on with the plan for now (continue working and ps etc) but the results of my re-mark will decide what i do next.
Thanks for the kind words, i don't know how everyone (you, people on TSR, family, friends, work colleagues) have more faith in me than i do but i need to get some of my confidence back if i'm going to get through this year
I'll keep trying for medicine though no matter what (whether as a reapplicant/resitter/graduate), i don't know when it will happen but i hope it' soon
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3069
I'm reapplying this year! Going for Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrew's and Dundee! Well, as long as my UKCAT is good enough, it was shocking last year and was cited by all of the universities as the reason I didn't get in! :P Taking the test in early Oct to give myself time to prepare!
Original post by Braddd
Basically, not to sound negative, but what are you guys gonna do if you don't get in this year?

I'm totally undecided. I don't know whether to go for chemical engineering... It kinda rules out graduate entry if I end up wanting to go for it. Then I was thinking of doing biomedical science and then graduate entry.... But then if I don't get in afterwards. What can you even do with that degree?

Become a biomedical scientist working in a hospital dealing with patient sampels ( is ~ a band 6 starting and goes up from what I know)
Or you can teach science in schools, I know people doing anything i've mentioned.
Original post by twelve

Legendary results, You have a formidable application and i'm kinda scared to apply against you.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack

What do you think about what my tutor said about my Ps?

FunsizedKarateGeek

Let us know how the remarks go, I really really hope they go well for you.
Original post by joemullally
Legendary results, You have a formidable application and i'm kinda scared to apply against you.

What do you think about what my tutor said about my Ps?

Let us know how the remarks go, I really really hope they go well for you.

I think I can't seem to find your PS :redface:

That and they'll probably be a more senior reviewer than me so I don't doubt their skills :nah:
I think I can't seem to find your PS :redface:

That and they'll probably be a more senior reviewer than me so I don't doubt their skills :nah:

I know.
I've done ten draffts of my PS
and just been told that it's like not good enough.
I'd be happy to hand it in and it's markedly improved on last years.

Btw got a letter from college today.
I've won an award from college for my two years there.
Learner of the year or something along those lines. I think Chineese Liam will get learner of the year though ( 100% in phys, maths and chem A levels in every module 4A*'s over all)
Original post by KCosmo
I'm reapplying this year! Going for Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrew's and Dundee! Well, as long as my UKCAT is good enough, it was shocking last year and was cited by all of the universities as the reason I didn't get in! :P Taking the test in early Oct to give myself time to prepare!

Personally I'd have a list of uni's ready for if your UKCAT doesn't go so well, Research them now and everything so as soon as you do your UKCAT you can just apply straight away.
If for example you get a UKCAT of below 600 I woulnd't apply to Dundee or Glasgow from that list. (probably wouldn't with less than 650 tbh)
You have to be realistic about where you can get into.

And you don't want to be panicked in late august having to make quick decisions based on little research.
HCA INTERVIEW AT HOSPITAL NEXT WEEK WOOT WOOT :woo: :woo:

My luck is changing :biggrin:
I hope...
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
True. When i told my mum how many UMS i was away, the first thing she asked was "How much is a re-mark", the second thing she said was "Go and get my my cheque book". I happily obliged :smile:
6 modules is a lot to get re-marked and i may end up being black-listed by OCR and Edexcel because i've pretty much accused them of not being competent enough to tick boxes against a mark scheme but oh well :rolleyes:

Wow that must of been tough :redface:
I've kind of got a plan for whatever the outcome of my grades though.
My saving grace is that all of the unis i was planning on applying to anyway (except liverpool i think) will accept an application from me if I only retake one subject/module - need to find out more about this, hopefully i won't need this info but at least it's good to know i may still be able to continue with my gap year. I don't want to rush off to uni just yet lol

WOW well done, that is fantastic! I'm soo proud of you!
You will knock 'em dead this year, i know it :wink:

As for myself, i'll carry on with the plan for now (continue working and ps etc) but the results of my re-mark will decide what i do next.
Thanks for the kind words, i don't know how everyone (you, people on TSR, family, friends, work colleagues) have more faith in me than i do but i need to get some of my confidence back if i'm going to get through this year
I'll keep trying for medicine though no matter what (whether as a reapplicant/resitter/graduate), i don't know when it will happen but i hope it' soon

Your mum sounds like a babe :biggrin:

Good luck with it.

Original post by laurenl93

I hope...

Good luck.
I remember my HCA interview like earlier this summer,
If you need any help just ask!
There's surely plenty of people on here who can offer advice and remember their own interview questions.

One of mine is that you see a patient getting mistreated by another member of staff on a ward.
What do you do?

I said: First of all close the curtain.
Then I'd approach them and ask them what they were doing ( it might be something completley innocent that I misenterpreted)
And then I'd ask a senior member of staff.
Original post by laurenl93

I hope...

Well done! Hope it goes well for you :smile:
Well with those grades you can apply wherever you want :tongue:

Why did you get rejected this year? Did you get any feedback from the unis?

Oh, good :biggrin:

I scored relatively low on the ukcat - 602.5.. I wasnt really focused at the time. but this year ill hopefully smash them

Good luck with your application
Original post by thecookiem0nster
Oh, good :biggrin:

I scored relatively low on the ukcat - 602.5.. I wasnt really focused at the time. but this year ill hopefully smash them

Good luck with your application

When are you taking the UKCAT?

No need to wish me luck, I was a 2011 re-applicant that's been successful and waiting to start at Barts and The London.. I just haven't been able to leave these threads :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending