The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by feelbetter
I hope you don't mind me asking I see people talking about electives, what are they? Is it possible to study a language from beginner level, it sounds really interesting from what i've gathered from these posts.

Electives are optional modules that you study to bring the total number of credits per year up to 120. You can study electives in any subject as long as there is not a timetable clash with another module. There are language electives, but I don't know if there are any beginner level ones.

Note: By optional, I mean you have to study electives, but you choose which electives.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Gemini92
Electives are optional modules that you study to bring the total number of credits per year up to 120. You can study electives in any subject as long as there is not a timetable clash with another module. There are language electives, but I don't know if there are any beginner level ones.

Note: By optional, I mean you have to study electives, but you choose which electives.

Oh, okay, thankyou!
Reply 1202
Original post by Bella Occhi

Probably a French module of some sort, not sure of the rest though! I don't even know how many we can take. Japanese is really fun though, hard work, but you'll enjoy it :biggrin:

I think the Japanese I looked at was 20 credits so that leaves me with only 20 more. I wanted to do something with French as well, but unsure about the level [my family is French and I was brought up bilingual so my level is pretty decent] sooooo I still have to make up my mind ;D
Looking forward to Japanese though, I know it'll be hard but worth it!
My offer was for BBB and I ended up with A*AA!!!! :biggrin: (a bit annoying that my A in Film Studies was only 3 marks from being an A* though! :O

Anyone else doing BA Cinema + Photography?? Or is anyone joining LSTV, or the Film-maker's society? ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^ SO HAPPY!

And I got a B for the Extended Project (the equivalent of an AS grade but we had to make a short film) EVEN THOUGH IT WENT TERRIBLY and the crew members I saw yesterday got an E and a U so... I thought I was a gonner! :O

LEEDSLEEDSLEEDSIPLEDGEALLEGIANCE.
Original post by J o o
This means I got in for sure right? o-o (just replied to course change a couple of hours ago)

Where my fellow New Media peeps at :biggrin:

I'm doing Cinema + Photography so I might see you around!! :biggrin:
Original post by H25
A*AA :smile:

Me too! :biggrin: (but I was 3 marks off another A* :/)
Reply 1206
Anyone doing law ? :smile:
Original post by King CalZ
you're taking the sam subject then?

I am hoping the course is more targeted to film making rather than the photography element (i have no experience whatsoever in photography)

Yes I am indeed! :smile: Should be awesome - what are some of your favourite films/directors/editors/whoever?

Oh yeah, me too. I took Photography as an extra GCSE and I do love it, but I haven't had the chance to practice it for the past two years and frankly wouldn't be confident enough to call it something I'd consider doing professionally (though that could change). Film is more meaningful to me as characters are often my favourite thing and you can't explore them properly in photographs (unless you're very good).

Film-making is my life. But I love television too, and I'm the only person I know who takes advertisements seriously ^^;... do you have Youtube? :biggrin:

Sorry I talk too much!

I hope you got the grades! ^_^ It'll be nice to know at least one person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gravel-in-a-blender
Yes I am indeed! :smile: Should be awesome - what are some of your favourite films/directors/editors/whoever?

Oh yeah, me too. I took Photography as an extra GCSE and I do love it, but I haven't had the chance to practice it for the past two years and frankly wouldn't be confident enough to call it something I'd consider doing professionally (though that could change). Film is more meaningful to me as characters are often my favourite thing and you can't explore them properly in photographs (unless you're very good).

Film-making is my life. But I love television too, and I'm the only person I know who takes advertisements seriously ^^;... do you have Youtube? :biggrin:

Sorry I talk too much!

I hope you got the grades! ^_^ It'll be nice to know at least one person.

My favourite two are David Fincher and Shane Meadows.
Yeah yeah, and nope havent made enough videos to warrant a youtube page so need to build that up at leeds!
And yeah i got the grades :biggrin:
Original post by King CalZ
My favourite two are David Fincher and Shane Meadows.
Yeah yeah, and nope havent made enough videos to warrant a youtube page so need to build that up at leeds!
And yeah i got the grades :biggrin:

Ahhh awesome! Fight Club is one of my favourite films of all time :biggrin: I love his style. Haven't seen The Social Network yet though :frown: And again, Shane Meadows - This Is England is one of my favourite films and he filmed it in my city :P Haven't looked into him as much to be honest but I will when I have the time. :smile: I personally love Danny Boyle (most of the time), Kubrick and Wong Kar Wei. Oh, and Hayao Miyazaki!

Ah, fair enough. Most of my own ideas are half-baked or impossible to film atm. I only have a few videos up myself (only one I would call any good) if you'd like to see? www.youtube.com/gravelinablender (I apologise for the monstrousity that is Sweet Valentine).

Are you planning on joining the FM society or LSTV? It sounds like an awesome way to get filming, especially as I don't think much practical work is involved in the first semester sadly.

And congratulations! :biggrin: That's awesome!
Original post by vief
Yay you got in!! Congrats!! :biggrin:

thanksss :smile: see you up there!
Well I got the same answer from UCAS so it looks like we're ok then :biggrin:

Ooh! I'd love to do German if they do it at a beginner's level, I used to do it ages ago and really enjoyed it :love: Otherwise I'll just stick to French :cool:

My accommodation offer just came through! ****'s getting real! :eek:

Jealous of the accomodation offerrrrr.. hope mine comes through soon. Aahh I don't know what to do for electives, when do we decide that? :smile:
hey,

i remember applying for accommodation but i didnt get a confirmation email or anything about it. should i have? and now i havent received anything to say i have my accommodation so im worried i have no where to stay :frown:

help!
Reply 1213
Original post by georgelamb
hey,

i remember applying for accommodation but i didnt get a confirmation email or anything about it. should i have? and now i havent received anything to say i have my accommodation so im worried i have no where to stay :frown:

help!

The uni hasn't sent out all the accom offers yet, only a small number of them have been sent so far. They will continue to send out accom offers for the next couple of weeks.
Original post by Curran_london
Jealous of the accomodation offerrrrr.. hope mine comes through soon. Aahh I don't know what to do for electives, when do we decide that? :smile:

Ummm I saw somewhere that we register on Sept 1st?? Not really sure, I think we have to wait for Leeds to send us registration details through the post. Quoting Gemini in because he'll probably know when and how to register for core/electives etc. I'm trying to decide soon though because I don't want to end up stuck with some obscure ones that no one else wants :biggrin:

Gemini92
x
Reply 1215
Ummm I saw somewhere that we register on Sept 1st?? Not really sure, I think we have to wait for Leeds to send us registration details through the post. Quoting Gemini in because he'll probably know when and how to register for core/electives etc. I'm trying to decide soon though because I don't want to end up stuck with some obscure ones that no one else wants :biggrin:

Sometime after you get the log on details for the Uni Portal system, which I think happens on 27th August as you need them for the Residence eIntro, you have to register online via the Portal before you register at the Parkinson Building as you need to show the registration certificate to them to get your ID card and to get your student loan through. There will be instructions on how to do it all on there and you have to register every year. If I remember rightly, my department registered me for all the compulsory modules and I enrolled for the electives during Freshers's Week when I had an introduction to the university's IT system.

I apologize if I've forgotten anything as I did this almost a year ago.
(edited 12 years ago)
You can register online from the 31st August. You can enrol on modules at the same time unless you want to go to the module fair on 21st September.
Everything you need to know is here.
Is anyone doing accounting and finance? I've only found one other person doing it at the moment...
Hi :smile: Anyone for Psychology? Or applied for Oxley?
Reply 1219
Original post by leedshopeful01
Is anyone doing accounting and finance? I've only found one other person doing it at the moment...

i am! have you had your accommodation yet?? i'm in bodington.. anyone else?

Latest