The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Florence Boot Hall Freshers :)

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, I'm Rahul and I got in to Notts to do History (snap Rachel). Got AAA so yh can't wait to get to FB hall and meet all you guys!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Ace_of_Spades
Hey everyone, I'm Rahul and I got in to Notts to do History (snap Rachel). Got AAA so yh can't wait to get to FB hall and meet all you guys!

Ooh yay someone to walk to lectures with :biggrin:

Florence Boot facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/180626291996979/
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh yh I didn't even think of that! Well sounds like a plan, looking forward to it!
Reply 63
Original post by The Bagel Guy
x

Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
x

Original post by Stargazer28
x

Hi guys I've got a few questions....

1) How did you deal with the holidays? I know you have to vacate your room but did you take everything home or can you store stuff in the hall? I'm currently thinking about how to transport my stuff as I need to buy some suitcases/bags.

2) Is there a local library you can join? Obviously the uni library will have all the academic books but I'd like to borrow fiction too.

3) Do I need to bring things like a lamp, dustbin etc?

4) Do I need to bring my own iron or is there one in the laundry room?

5) Also I'd be really grateful for pictures, because I'm starting to think about buying stuff for my room and pictures would help me with that.

Thanks guys xx
Original post by Rachel08
Hi guys I've got a few questions....

1) How did you deal with the holidays? I know you have to vacate your room but did you take everything home or can you store stuff in the hall? I'm currently thinking about how to transport my stuff as I need to buy some suitcases/bags.

2) Is there a local library you can join? Obviously the uni library will have all the academic books but I'd like to borrow fiction too.

5) Also I'd be really grateful for pictures, because I'm starting to think about buying stuff for my room and pictures would help me with that.

Thanks guys xx

Heya Rachel :smile:

You have to completely empty your room over the holidays, unless you pay to keep it. They have some storage space, but generally that's only for international students who physically don't have any other way to transport that much stuff home.
Having a couple of suitcases/bags and various cardboard boxes is the best way to move stuff to and from uni.

Ermmm, good question. I presume there must be, I've never really looked into it.
I guess it depends what kind of stuff you want to read, but Hallward Library has quite a lot of ficiton anyway - although it might be more classic literature. They may have other things as well though... If you could provide me with an example of a book then I could have a look online to see whether they have it.

There will be a bin provided for you in your room, and there should be a desk lamp on your desk as well. I bring a separate lamp anyway to put on my makeshift bedside table (a box) because my desk is a bit far away from the bed.

There's an iron in the laundry room, and also one in the little kitchens dotted around the hall. They're not that great though, and I know one person who brought their own.
I think a lot of people don't really bother with the ironing to be honest though.

I'll have a look at whether I have any pictures... I don't think I really took any of my room though. I'll see what I can find.
The ones that Chris uploaded showed the room quite well I thought, if you could maybe put some back up Chris? Sarah may have some as well :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, also with regard to the iron, bear in mind the limit on the capacity of electrical appliances in your room. If you do bring an iron, it'll probably have to be a travel iron to comply with the hall's regulations.... From a more practical stance I guess it would also be a bit easier to transport as well :smile:
Reply 66
Oh, also with regard to the iron, bear in mind the limit on the capacity of electrical appliances in your room. If you do bring an iron, it'll probably have to be a travel iron to comply with the hall's regulations.... From a more practical stance I guess it would also be a bit easier to transport as well :smile:

Thanks for the reply Tom :smile:

And yeah, I knew it'd have to be a travel iron but I probably won't buy one now that I know there's one there. I probably won't use it too much anyway :biggrin:

Thought of another question, Are there restrictions on what you can choose for the extra module you do outside the dept/school?

The irons there can be a little tempermental... And remember to check that it is in fact water in the iron, drunk students do odd things...
If the one in the kitchen nearest to you doesn't work then try another, my personal favourite was in the wing nearest the lake, first floor right at the end!

As far as photo's for my room go I'll upload them again for a while so people can see!

Tried to capture all four corners of my room!
I had the old furniture though so it may have been updated!

I always hated those curtains...
(edited 12 years ago)

Hi Rachel :smile:
Moving everything out of your room every holiday can be a pain, so we ended up paying to keep one room among our group of friends and everyone who wanted to keep stuff in Florence Boot contributed towards the payment. As I have to fly to get home, it's likely that I'll pay to keep my room this year, and as it's a bit bigger than the average single study, I have plenty of space!

There is a library in the city centre; here's a link to the website: http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2283 but as Tom says, Hallward is pretty good in terms of the fiction side as well as the academic works.

If anyone would like to see what the refurbished rooms look like, here are some photos of my room. Like I said, it's classed as a single study but is slightly larger because it's underneath a tutor flat, but other than that it's pretty much identical to the other refurbished rooms.
Looks like they got rid of the kitchen sinks! My sink was about a foot deep... :confused:
Reply 70
Original post by The Bagel Guy
The irons there can be a little tempermental... And remember to check that it is in fact water in the iron, drunk students do odd things...
If the one in the kitchen nearest to you doesn't work then try another, my personal favourite was in the wing nearest the lake, first floor right at the end!

As far as photo's for my room go I'll upload them again for a while so people can see!

Tried to capture all four corners of my room!
I had the old furniture though so it may have been updated!

I always hated those curtains...

Hey
What sort of room type did you have, as in a single study, large single study etc?
Original post by Blink2662
Hey
What sort of room type did you have, as in a single study, large single study etc?

Single study, nothing fancy for me!
Reply 72
Hi guys I'm studying European Politics see you there!
Reply 73
Anyone got pictures of a large single study?
Original post by Ace_of_Spades

Woops, sorry Rahul, didn't see this.
Welcome to Florence Boot! You're going to love it :biggrin:

Original post by hazzern
Hi guys I'm studying European Politics see you there!

Hey hazzern :smile:
Well done on getting into the best hall on campus :P
Thought of another question, Are there restrictions on what you can choose for the extra module you do outside the dept/school?

Haha, very true about the iron :P
I generally find if you put your clothes in the dryer for long enough and take them out of the machine whilst they're still hot, so within about 10 minutes of it finishing its cycle, it pretty much gets rid of all the creases anyway.
Mundane fact of the day! (Y)

Ermmmm, I don't think so... basically so long as it doesn't clash with anything else in your timetable, more or less. There will probably be a few modules you can't take, but generally speaking they should be fine.
I'm only speaking from second hand experience though. As I'm Joint Honours I wasn't able to choose any extra, but I don't think anyone had too many difficulties from what I remember.
Reply 76
Haha, very true about the iron :P
I generally find if you put your clothes in the dryer for long enough and take them out of the machine whilst they're still hot, so within about 10 minutes of it finishing its cycle, it pretty much gets rid of all the creases anyway.
Mundane fact of the day! (Y)

Ermmmm, I don't think so... basically so long as it doesn't clash with anything else in your timetable, more or less. There will probably be a few modules you can't take, but generally speaking they should be fine.
I'm only speaking from second hand experience though. As I'm Joint Honours I wasn't able to choose any extra, but I don't think anyone had too many difficulties from what I remember.

Also is a clothes horse provided or do I need to buy one?

There is a clothes horse in the laundry room that was looking rather sorry for itself by the time we left, so I'd recommend bringing your own/buying one from Wilkinson's once you've moved in. It also reduces the chance of losing socks and things in the laundry room itself :smile:

Nope, you'll either need to bring your own or use the tumble dryers :smile:
Original post by Stargazer28
There is a clothes horse in the laundry room that was looking rather sorry for itself by the time we left, so I'd recommend bringing your own/buying one from Wilkinson's once you've moved in. It also reduces the chance of losing socks and things in the laundry room itself :smile:

The number of clothes left in the laundry room over the year!
Seriously, some of them were there for weeks! Surely people must realise that some of their clothes are missing? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest