The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orca92
I'd switch to BSc before you apply so that you officially graduate in 2014, then choose whether you want the masters at the end of first year when you have a better idea of where you stand in terms of summer offers etc. This is what i did anyway; and the masters in my course is pretty useless for IB, so i'm just sticking to the BSc.

Yeah I was thinking of doing that ... a MSc (Chemistry) would also not be very applicable if I decided to go into IB for sure.
Why did you decide to go into IB instead of the 'traditional' path with whatever your degree is?
Original post by Dumb Economist
Banking Industry has a huge spectrum of jobs. So it will be hard not to find one that meet your liking. :smile:

Yeah that is true but it's very competitive and I don't have much w/e which is scaring me a little as people on here seem to have summer internships before even starting uni :eek:
I think Markets look interesting but I don't know enough about them yet.
Which part of IB are you interested in?
Original post by woods.vanessa
Yeah that is true but it's very competitive and I don't have much w/e which is scaring me a little as people on here seem to have summer internships before even starting uni :eek:
I think Markets look interesting but I don't know enough about them yet.
Which part of IB are you interested in?

Not sure yet .... tried different ones already. But still keeping open mind for future.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Yeah I was thinking of doing that ... a MSc (Chemistry) would also not be very applicable if I decided to go into IB for sure.
Why did you decide to go into IB instead of the 'traditional' path with whatever your degree is?

Well i'm studying biological sciences; so similar to you i guess in the wider scheme of things. And yes, my masters is pretty useless for IB, as yours would be i expect.

Anyway, I find lab work very 2 dimensional; it's the same thing over and over again. You might be trying to get from A to B in terms of a molecule; you do one thing, use spectroscopy to see what you've made; it's not right, and you go over and over again until you get the right product. It's just so damn boring to me; and i have interned in a lab so i've witnessed this first hand. I just couldn't see myself doing that for the next 50 odd years.

I'm going for markets (for penultimate year internships, not spring weeks) because from what i know of it, i find it more interesting than any other career that I've looked at. I trade equities off my own account at the moment and i find it interesting to research different parts of the economy to see what effect this will have on that etc. Every day is exciting, and different to the next on the markets; and it carries a lot of risk with it. The recent Greece fiasco with the danger of the country defaulting has a wide effect on the markets, and you're constantly watching for bullish signs, China backing the Euro, the S&P 500 and FTSE 100 start to uptrend, dollar sell off happening and other safe haven investments sell off; commodities likely to follow in 4-6 weeks predicted; but will they? You're constantly second guessing yourself, and trying to hedge the risk; when do you go long, when do you go short. There's just so many factors kicking around that you need to be aware of that if you take account of properly or not, will make you a lot of money, or lose you a lot of money.

In general, if you're interested in the markets, the economy, mergers and acquisitions, business deals etc then you're probably right to look into IB more. There are so many areas in banking that if you have interests in any of the before mentioned areas, there'll be a role suited to you. Just need to decide if you prefer that to lab work i guess!
Original post by orca92
Well i'm studying biological sciences; so similar to you i guess in the wider scheme of things. And yes, my masters is pretty useless for IB, as yours would be i expect.

Anyway, I find lab work very 2 dimensional; it's the same thing over and over again. You might be trying to get from A to B in terms of a molecule; you do one thing, use spectroscopy to see what you've made; it's not right, and you go over and over again until you get the right product. It's just so damn boring to me; and i have interned in a lab so i've witnessed this first hand. I just couldn't see myself doing that for the next 50 odd years.

I'm going for markets (for penultimate year internships, not spring weeks) because from what i know of it, i find it more interesting than any other career that I've looked at. I trade equities off my own account at the moment and i find it interesting to research different parts of the economy to see what effect this will have on that etc. Every day is exciting, and different to the next on the markets; and it carries a lot of risk with it. The recent Greece fiasco with the danger of the country defaulting has a wide effect on the markets, and you're constantly watching for bullish signs, China backing the Euro, the S&P 500 and FTSE 100 start to uptrend, dollar sell off happening and other safe haven investments sell off; commodities likely to follow in 4-6 weeks predicted; but will they? You're constantly second guessing yourself, and trying to hedge the risk; when do you go long, when do you go short. There's just so many factors kicking around that you need to be aware of that if you take account of properly or not, will make you a lot of money, or lose you a lot of money.

In general, if you're interested in the markets, the economy, mergers and acquisitions, business deals etc then you're probably right to look into IB more. There are so many areas in banking that if you have interests in any of the before mentioned areas, there'll be a role suited to you. Just need to decide if you prefer that to lab work i guess!

I did some lab work for 4 weeks last summer in the area of Biochemistry. Some parts of it were interesting but others were quite boring e.g. waiting for results, and using computer programmes etc. I'm thinking Markets too - I went to a kind of insight day at GS and it stuck out as the most interesting along with Asset Management because I like the teamwork aspect of it but I've heard there aren't many places for it :frown:.
Trading off your own account? How would you go about doing that?:s-smilie:
Reply 105
I did some lab work for 4 weeks last summer in the area of Biochemistry. Some parts of it were interesting but others were quite boring e.g. waiting for results, and using computer programmes etc. I'm thinking Markets too - I went to a kind of insight day at GS and it stuck out as the most interesting along with Asset Management because I like the teamwork aspect of it but I've heard there aren't many places for it :frown:.
Trading off your own account? How would you go about doing that?:s-smilie:

Yeah, similar to research (which also interests me); each bank takes like 2 people for spring weeks if they even offer a research divisional one; so i was like, they wouldn't take me, and just applied elsewhere.

Just open a broker account, and you can trade stocks and shares. Can also open a CFDs and spread bet accounts to go long and short on anything from the FTSE100 to the price of oil, to Tesco's share price. Of course, you need money in the first place to buy shares etc which is the problem for a lot of young people. If it really interests you then a lot of people research it and open simulation/fantasy accounts. Sometimes i think they're better, cause i don't dare risk my money on real risky things like spread bets, so gives me more experience to have a fantasy account as well.
Reply 106
Hey everyone, so is anyone getting ready with their applications for the 2012 spring weeks doing CVs and CLs? Does anyone know whether any bank opened the application cycle yet for first years? As there are some that have for 2nd year internships (Lazard for instance) so any news for us 1st year students?
Reply 107
Original post by TomasK
Hey everyone, so is anyone getting ready with their applications for the 2012 spring weeks doing CVs and CLs? Does anyone know whether any bank opened the application cycle yet for first years? As there are some that have for 2nd year internships (Lazard for instance) so any news for us 1st year students?

They open in september time i think. By all means make an IB focused CV, get the layout right etc, and make a start on cover letters. When you get to uni though; you'll hopefully have more ECs to bulk up the CV, and to talk about in the cover letter; and you'll probably have more knowledge of IB to put in your letters from the various events held by the EFS, finance, investment societies etc, than you do now. Most people send off the apps in like November/December time i think, once they have some more ECs, done some more to put in the letters etc.

And i'll reply to your pm at some point; got uni exams at the moment, and this is just procrastination. Either way, i'd wait until uni starts before sending off any.
Reply 108
Original post by orca92

got uni exams at the moment,

really?
Reply 109
Original post by orca92
They open in september time i think. By all means make an IB focused CV, get the layout right etc, and make a start on cover letters. When you get to uni though; you'll hopefully have more ECs to bulk up the CV, and to talk about in the cover letter; and you'll probably have more knowledge of IB to put in your letters from the various events held by the EFS, finance, investment societies etc, than you do now. Most people send off the apps in like November/December time i think, once they have some more ECs, done some more to put in the letters etc.

And i'll reply to your pm at some point; got uni exams at the moment, and this is just procrastination. Either way, i'd wait until uni starts before sending off any.

Yeah, but that will be more of a S&T focused CV. Also, am I the only one concerned about the background checks for spring weeks on the boards or what, haha? The thought that they might want every achievement certified is creeping me out. I guess I'll just hope a reference by a referee will be sufficient enough, because there is no way I'm getting certificates for places outside the top 3 places.

EDIT: Military Police!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by Focus08
really?

Was ill so referred 3 exams; got them July and August.
Hey sorry to revive this thread but I'm quite new to the whole application process etc. I have had no prior work experience or exposure to the corporate world. I do follow the world market on a daily basis because of a few portfolio of funds and shares that my family owns.

How are you expected to differentiate yourself in the application process with regards to ECs? I have played a ton of sports competitively at school level and also interned at a micro finance research institute (but that's really the non-profit sector), debating, model UN and a few other less significant activities.

Apart from that - do your first few weeks of uni count for anything? If applications open up in October itself, you don't really have much time to use anything you might potentially take part in university..

Lastly, does a similar spring week cycle exist for consultancy firms like McKinsey?
Reply 112
bump

hi
Original post by Milan.
bump

hi

Hello! Have you decided which division(s) you'll be applying for and when you'll be applying? Have you started on your application with regards to cover letters/CV. I am zilch on everything, just beginning to understand the spring week process.
Reply 114
Original post by rohitronaldo

Hello! Have you decided which division(s) you'll be applying for and when you'll be applying? Have you started on your application with regards to cover letters/CV. I am zilch on everything, just beginning to understand the spring week process.

i think my thread --> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747609 <-- explains my situation!!

clueless about everything at the moment!
Original post by Milan.
i think my thread --> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747609 <-- explains my situation!!

:eek: Did you take a gap year.... I thought you started last yr..:confused:
Reply 116

Yeah, same here. I believe that he had enrolled last year if it's the same Milan, though I think he was banned at some point as well.
Original post by Milan.

Haha yea, umm visit the Goldman Sachs Careers page if you haven't already and read the stuff under off-cycle internships. I think JP Morgan and Deutsche Bank have similar sections under their careers page. My main worry right now is my CV. I have absolutely no relevant work experience and all my leadership activities have been things like treasurer of the student government or captain of the school debate team.....
Reply 118

Original post by TomasK
Yeah, same here. I believe that he had enrolled last year if it's the same Milan, though I think he was banned at some point as well.

wow people on tsr remember other people and their lives!!! :tongue:
(edit: i was never banned?!)

yeah my grades in first year are absolute crap, going to begin again (basically failed) i dont want to continue the course with poor grades, it will effect my final degree classification and it will impact negatively on summer internships etc.
so yah, i start again, fresh, will be on the work from day 1 and will get on this spring week and internship and career things that i didnt bother last year!

Haha yea, umm visit the Goldman Sachs Careers page if you haven't already and read the stuff under off-cycle internships. I think JP Morgan and Deutsche Bank have similar sections under their careers page. My main worry right now is my CV. I have absolutely no relevant work experience and all my leadership activities have been things like treasurer of the student government or captain of the school debate team.....

aah yeah i have been going through the companies websites and reading the descriptions and using wikipedia, its all confusing! and theres so many divisions and career paths to chose

i think i have some good work experience and i have plenty of responsibility positions at uni

what im confused about is what cover letters ask for and what we need to know or do before applying
should i be reading everything about spring weeks?
it seems like throughout the 1st year (that i failed) of uni, everyone who got the spring weeks and everyone who applied knew all about investment banking (and related divisions) before they applied and even whilst on their spring week
i thought that spring weeks were about teaching you and seeing if the career is right for you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Milan.

aah yeah i have been going through the companies websites and reading the descriptions and using wikipedia, its all confusing! and theres so many divisions and career paths to chose

i think i have some good work experience and i have plenty of responsibility positions at uni

what im confused about is what cover letters ask for and what we need to know or do before applying
should i be reading everything about spring weeks?
it seems like throughout the 1st year (that i failed) of uni, everyone who got the spring weeks and everyone who applied knew all about investment banking (and related divisions) before they applied and even whilst on their spring week
i thought that spring weeks were about teaching you and seeing if the career is right for you!

From what I've heard cover letters are a very minor aspect, most of the BBs have no time to sit and read through the specifics of these letters so just keep it very concise. Use a standard format like Why Investment banking, why this bank and why you would be a good fit.

Yea I know what you mean....the reason I am applying for these programs is to get a first-hand exposure of investment banking rather than the hearsay that floats through the Internet. As of now, I am leaning towards trading over IBD mostly because I have always enjoyed trading commodities (also used to manage my dad's portfolio of shares, mutual funds and equities). The reasonable working hours in comparison to IBD is also a big plus and lastly, the whole working under pressure aspect really drives me. Still not finalized though.....I have no knowledge about M&A. I know what they are but working in the division still sounds a bit peculiar to me and doing a spring week can also help you get in contact with the other divisions.