The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3080
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Just a question PENGUIN. :wink:. just been reading your profile. and wondering, what were the reasons for your rejections from your other uni's whilst u wer a gapper. Btw, well done on your place. :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
Well done! Hope it goes well for you :smile:

Thank YIU love! How did your result go? Dis you get that job I think you said you had an interview for? :h:
Original post by joemullally
Your mum sounds like a babe :biggrin:

Good luck with it.

Good luck.
I remember my HCA interview like earlier this summer,
If you need any help just ask!
There's surely plenty of people on here who can offer advice and remember their own interview questions.

One of mine is that you see a patient getting mistreated by another member of staff on a ward.
What do you do?

I said: First of all close the curtain.
Then I'd approach them and ask them what they were doing ( it might be something completley innocent that I misenterpreted)
And then I'd ask a senior member of staff.

Really? Mmh well my interviews 45 minutes long so I'm guessing they're gna be asking why j want to Do it & my experience yaddayadda, I'm going for the part time one though, is yours PT or FT?

Also do you like your job? Id be working in the geriatrics ward sl will probably be wiping bum and talking about the telly all day :rolleyes:
Original post by laurenl93
Really? Mmh well my interviews 45 minutes long so I'm guessing they're gna be asking why j want to Do it & my experience yaddayadda, I'm going for the part time one though, is yours PT or FT?

Also do you like your job? Id be working in the geriatrics ward sl will probably be wiping bum and talking about the telly all day :rolleyes:

Havn't started the healthcare assistant work yet as I'm trying to find a time that suits both of us for training that I can fit around my Lab job.

They'll ask you about your experience etc but it's also good to know what a HCA does/the job entails.

I mentioned wiping peoples bums and helping feeding them in interview also helping the patients with any task they are unable to do for themselves (exept of course relieving themselves. :P)
but yeah it was a pretty good interview.
I went in a suit and felt overdressed compared to the next candidate (who came in like casual clothes)
So I don't lnow about what to wear, but good luck let us know how it goes.
Legendary results, You have a formidable application and i'm kinda scared to apply against you.

What do you think about what my tutor said about my Ps?

Let us know how the remarks go, I really really hope they go well for you.

Why did I get negged for this post?
Reply 3085
hey guys iv been reading around this site for a while now.. looks like im also going to reapply in 2012. I got D's in the january exams.. but fortunately turned it around in time, iv now got A*AA in maths, chemistry and physics. Really hope i stand better chance this year, although i dont know if i will as i dont know what aspect of my application to change, i have achieved my predicted grades exactly. Not looking forward to ukcat again, really doubt i'll exceed 700 average :/. Oh i was wondering if the entry requirements has changed for medical schools? (obviously ill do my own research but if you guys know of any please do let me know :smile: )

Also congratulations to all of you who did well too, the competition is looking fierce :/ lets hope people ouisde of tsr dont have as good grades! and commiserations to those of you who havent done as well as hoped, all the best with whatever you decide to do!
Resit and reapplicant for 2012! Hope I can join in! :P
Reply 3087
Guys, I need some advice please! I have a biomedicine offer and my A2 grades are AAA in maths, biology and chemistry. I have two options; gap year and reapply, or do one year of biomedicine and reapply. I know that many medical schools won't consider you if you've started a degree. But I don't mind applying to those who don't mind because I'm just desperate to do medicine next year. If you were me, which option would you choose? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3088
WARNING MASSIVE POST WITH ABOUT TEN MILLION QUOTES...

Original post by Tinth
Can I ask what you got last year? Just for a bit of perspective.

I got 665 average last year - I've improved in all but VR, but especially in AR, which has gone up from 480. That was really all I was hoping for - this is soo much better! So yeah, revision definately makes a difference, considering I pretty much did nothing last year.

god you're such a slut for having such an amazing ukcat.

haha congratulations :smile: you can officially apply absolutely anywhere :wink: i myself will be gracing my application to non ukcat whores unfortunately, however ive come to accept that ill never be any good at verbal reasoning and that it's proper gay.
Well done on the grades :biggrin:
Where do you know you're definitely applying too love?

Haha, I love your posts!

Yep, definitely completely homosexual. Ermm, really not sure - I'm thinking Sheffield (for obvious reasons, and they said my application was strong last year, except for the fact my UKCAT was too low) but as for the others I have no idea. I was preparing for a score pretty similiar to last year, but now I've got something good to work with I need to consider again haha. What about you? Got any decisions yet?

Original post by Harbour Seal
Don't apply to Glasgow or Dundee please :frown:

Man, you are just ACE. How did you do so well on QR and DA?

Haha, neither are on my list :P

God knows - I had loads of time for DA, so pretty much did the entire thing twice - bar any questions I found easy the first time round. And QR I've no idea either. I swear I guessed so many - I think I just got REALLY lucky.

Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
First of all, congrats on those epic grades and UKCAT score :smile: Last year in VR, I found it really hard to read the long passages AND answer the ques in time. Any advice pleeeeeease?

Don't read the passsage - read the question, skim the whole thing quickly, looking for the right sentences, then read those carefully, then answer the question. And repeat. Byt the time you get to the last question, you'll find you've got a pretty good idea whats going on in each passage. I literally never read it properly until I'm checking it.

Original post by dmz
Aww **** no way, Boy am i glad i'm not re-applying against you

Haha, thanks :P

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek

WOW well done, that is fantastic! I'm soo proud of you!
You will knock 'em dead this year, i know it :wink:

As for myself, i'll carry on with the plan for now (continue working and ps etc) but the results of my re-mark will decide what i do next.
Thanks for the kind words, i don't know how everyone (you, people on TSR, family, friends, work colleagues) have more faith in me than i do but i need to get some of my confidence back if i'm going to get through this year
I'll keep trying for medicine though no matter what (whether as a reapplicant/resitter/graduate), i don't know when it will happen but i hope it' soon

Thankyou! I'm glad to hear it - you'll get your confidence back. Are you enjoying your job at the moment? I know you will get it eventually - but try to think of the good side of it, whatever happens.

Legendary results, You have a formidable application and i'm kinda scared to apply against you.

Haha, thankyouu, but you haven't seen my non-existant ps yet :P

HCA INTERVIEW AT HOSPITAL NEXT WEEK WOOT WOOT :woo: :woo:

My luck is changing :biggrin:
I hope...

Congrats! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. Just go on about how you really love caring - waffling and showing lots of passion got me my job, so hopefully it'll work for you. And smile lots too :P You need cheerful people to do the jobs HCA's do!

Original post by sweetchilli
Excellent grades and UKCAT! Very well done! Just gave you +ve rep to balance the idiot who gave you -ve rep. Jealously much...

Congrats and best of luck for your applications!

Thanks so much :smile:
Thank YIU love! How did your result go? Dis you get that job I think you said you had an interview for? :h:

Got AAA so going to reapply, although looking at all the A*'s people have been getting and im starting to get a bit worried! I also got a*abc AS's aswell so I'm hoping that they might help :tongue: I've not had any interviews as of yet, but I'm hopefully getting one in next week or so to work in my little sisters nursery :smile: I was hoping for a care home to but thats looking less and less likely :/ Oh wells I just think positive and hope that helps :biggrin:
Wow back in my days, getting as little as one A* meant a lot, now check you guys out. :moon:
Original post by twelve

Haha, I love your posts!

Yep, definitely completely homosexual. Ermm, really not sure - I'm thinking Sheffield (for obvious reasons, and they said my application was strong last year, except for the fact my UKCAT was too low) but as for the others I have no idea. I was preparing for a score pretty similiar to last year, but now I've got something good to work with I need to consider again haha. What about you? Got any decisions yet?

God your last post was such a bitch to cut down to get to my reply bit. lmao.
I got 630, 5 more than last year oioi!! So i'm pretty much in the same sexy ukcat boat again, awkwardly drifting my application to uni's hoping they'll love me for my feast of work experience and not my apparent retarded ability at answering true/false questions. God man.

Well I got A*AA :wink: so can apply to my ultimate first choice QUB unlike last year since they're such GCSE sluts, also applying to aberdeen and lancaster/liverpool. Lancaster/ liverpool is an either/or situation... not sure of which to apply to. Don't really wanna go to liverpool though, if i came back to newcastle with a Geordie-Scouser accent i'd probably get stabbed or have killed myself through being so exasperated at putting up with hearing myself speak
What's your first choice dear? And how's your hca job going? Do mea favour (please) and when you have time could you message me a list of things you do in your job nice shizz about it that i can use for my interview on friday other than the 'i love wiping bum' which is all i really had planned to say :rolleyes:
Got AAA so going to reapply, although looking at all the A*'s people have been getting and im starting to get a bit worried! I also got a*abc AS's aswell so I'm hoping that they might help :tongue: I've not had any interviews as of yet, but I'm hopefully getting one in next week or so to work in my little sisters nursery :smile: I was hoping for a care home to but thats looking less and less likely :/ Oh wells I just think positive and hope that helps :biggrin:

Oh shaddap AAA=A*A*A* in the eyes of med schools, they only want us for our A'S and the fact they are actually attained and not predicted hehehe, dat iz why us reapps are l33ful
Awh a nursery would be lovely to work in! id get dead attached to some kids and proper hate others though, so i'd be no good. Oooft i used to volunteer in a care home, dont think i could be a hca unless it was in a hospital, hated the care home 'cus it made me depressed at the idea of being an old person and being generally rubbish
hope you get one love! where you gracing your app to? :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3092
i know, i feel like actual crap
Original post by areyousure?
Resit and reapplicant for 2012! Hope I can join in! :P

Resitting is my plan too! What did you get this time round if you don't mind me asking and which universities are you thinking of applying to? I'm a bit stuck of places to apply with the resits I'm doing :/
is anyone else ****ting themselves about the tight time schedule to get our lives planned?
Well I got A*AA :wink: so can apply to my ultimate first choice QUB unlike last year since they're such GCSE sluts, also applying to aberdeen and lancaster/liverpool. Lancaster/ liverpool is an either/or situation... not sure of which to apply to. Don't really wanna go to liverpool though, if i came back to newcastle with a Geordie-Scouser accent i'd probably get stabbed or have killed myself through being so exasperated at putting up with hearing myself speak

Oh shaddap AAA=A*A*A* in the eyes of med schools, they only want us for our A'S and the fact they are actually attained and not predicted hehehe, dat iz why us reapps are l33ful
Awh a nursery would be lovely to work in! id get dead attached to some kids and proper hate others though, so i'd be no good. Oooft i used to volunteer in a care home, dont think i could be a hca unless it was in a hospital, hated the care home 'cus it made me depressed at the idea of being an old person and being generally rubbish
hope you get one love! where you gracing your app to? :h:

A few places same as you me thinks! Think I'm reapplying to Aberdeen and definity St. Andrews. And for the newbies maybe this year Cardiff, Glasgow (if i get a good enough ukcat but i doubt it) or maybe Lancaster :smile: [and haha I also looked at Liverpool and eliminated it for a similar reason lol] I was looking at Queens Belfast but my mum has told me no because of the whole silly being a Catholic in NI thing :/ but ah wells :biggrin:

And why thank you :h: I'm not sure how i'll cope in the nursery. I did three days W/E and i was completely knackard! I have a two year old sis and shes crazy enough but apprently at nursery she is the ring leader and they're all mental so it'll be interesting if i get it :biggrin: lol

Damn it seems like weeks ago I came a reapplicant back in march... I better get cracking on with the ps before I miss the deadline! :ashamed2: lol
Original post by the_alybot
Resitting is my plan too! What did you get this time round if you don't mind me asking and which universities are you thinking of applying to? I'm a bit stuck of places to apply with the resits I'm doing :/

I got AABBCb and I am going to push the Bs up to As and mybe that C to a B. I have emailed all unis, you should too, so I am looking at Liverpool, Lancaster, BSMS and Manchester. Waiting on a response from Peninsula as well. Then I will have to decide between those and see where I apply. I think it will depend on my UKCAT score as well.

What are you planning on doing? How did results go?
Original post by areyousure?
I got AABBCb and I am going to push the Bs up to As and mybe that C to a B. I have emailed all unis, you should too, so I am looking at Liverpool, Lancaster, BSMS and Manchester. Waiting on a response from Peninsula as well. Then I will have to decide between those and see where I apply. I think it will depend on my UKCAT score as well.

What are you planning on doing? How did results go?

When you emailed each of these unis what did you say and what was each of their responses? (Obviously I intend to submit my own enquiries, I'd just like an indicator of what they'd say :smile:) Are they willing to consider applicants that resit some of their exams? Thing is I go 3 Cs - let me break it down for you, I did 10 exams and 7 of which I got As in and the 3 terminal exams I did I got a DEE in Biology, English Language and Chemistry respectively, so understandably they pulled my overall grades down, do you reckon they'd still consider me?
Reply 3098
A few places same as you me thinks! Think I'm reapplying to Aberdeen and definity St. Andrews. And for the newbies maybe this year Cardiff, Glasgow (if i get a good enough ukcat but i doubt it) or maybe Lancaster :smile: [and haha I also looked at Liverpool and eliminated it for a similar reason lol] I was looking at Queens Belfast but my mum has told me no because of the whole silly being a Catholic in NI thing :/ but ah wells :biggrin:

And why thank you :h: I'm not sure how i'll cope in the nursery. I did three days W/E and i was completely knackard! I have a two year old sis and shes crazy enough but apprently at nursery she is the ring leader and they're all mental so it'll be interesting if i get it :biggrin: lol

Damn it seems like weeks ago I came a reapplicant back in march... I better get cracking on with the ps before I miss the deadline! :ashamed2: lol

Its actually local protestants like me who need to be more worried about attending queens than catholics like u m8-queens has a reputation of having a republican/nationalist/catholic dominated student population.If that was the sole reason for ditching queens as a choice u should seriously reconsider
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
When are you taking the UKCAT?

No need to wish me luck, I was a 2011 re-applicant that's been successful and waiting to start at Barts and The London.. I just haven't been able to leave these threads :tongue:

Ill be taking it at the end of september. Got loads of practicing to do!

Oh well done!! Lol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending