The Student Room Group

Best army in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Wucker
United States Military. Today.

All your anger will not prove me wrong.

Would be better if they shot the enemy and not us.
amazing thread.

In the other hand how do you call the worst criminal army in the world? the best army!!!

guess what i have an answer probably the best army in the world could be GANDHI , alone he crushed an empire. have a nice day.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zigzog7
Would be better if they shot the enemy and not us.

No, I totally agree!

The British have had it really rough under 60 years of cruel American hegemony.

I mean, what, with all the improved living standards, longer life expectancy, unbroken peace at home, and stupid American movies that you must pay to see only to ridicule and not because you actually like them, its no wonder that Britons are so darn angry!
Best army in history?
Hard to pick .. The conquest of Constantinople by Ottomans/armies of Suleiman the magnificent or the armies of Genghis Khan.
Original post by Arsenal4lif
Best army in history?
Hard to pick .. The conquest of Constantinople by Ottomans/armies of Suleiman the magnificent or the armies of Genghis Khan.

The Ottoman army were the "Jannisaries" I think. The Sultan's personal elite army. And if ı remember, they were very dedicated soldiers and earned a reputation. They took young boys from their lands into slavery to the Sultan but trained in all aspects of being a soldier. Maybe cruel by today's culture, but I mean if you were a slave in those days, what else did you have to live for? And weren't they even paid a little bit as well?
Today the US dominate.

Back in the day the Mongols conquered all.
Best army in history?

Both pale in comparison to the British army of the British empire, we conquered and ruled two thirds of the globe. The ottomans and Ghengis Kahn did not command an empire anywhere near that size.
Original post by Zebracolors
The Ottoman army were the "Jannisaries" I think. The Sultan's personal elite army. And if ı remember, they were very dedicated soldiers and earned a reputation. They took young boys from their lands into slavery to the Sultan but trained in all aspects of being a soldier. Maybe cruel by today's culture, but I mean if you were a slave in those days, what else did you have to live for? And weren't they even paid a little bit as well?

Every empire in history was cruel to people. There were no laws at that time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Strathclyder
Both pale in comparison to the British army of the British empire, we conquered and ruled two thirds of the globe. The ottomans and Ghengis Kahn did not command an empire anywhere near that size.

You must be a fool. Genghis Khan commanded the largest empire known to mankind from China to Hungary. and Ottoman Empire had as much territories if not more than British empire (all of central asia, arabian peninsula,whole North Africa and Eastern Europe )
You must be a fool. Genghis Khan commanded the largest empire known to mankind from China to Hungary. and Ottoman Empire had as much territories if not more than British empire (all of central asia, arabian peninsula,whole North Africa and Eastern Europe )

Ghengis Kahns conquered territory was nowhere near the size of the British empire, the British empire was the largest empire in world history. You are the fool.

Mongol empire

British Empire

Are you blind ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Ghengis Kahns conquered territory was nowhere near the size of the British empire, the British empire was the largest empire in world history. You are the fool.

Mongol empire

British Empire

Are you blind ?

Well i read in a book and besides i read British Empire only controlled the eastern part of Australia and only the southern territories of Canada and Afghanistan was never under British control. Flawed picture
Reply 231

Britain's global domination was won on the back of its navy, not its army.

Not to badmouth the Redcoats of the time, they were highly disciplined and determined and man for man they were probably better then most of their contemporaries. However, the British Army lacked the size (And hence power) to really be considered the Greatest in History.
Well i read in a book and besides i read British Empire only controlled the eastern part of Australia and only the southern territories of Canada and Afghanistan was never under British control. Flawed picture

No, the picture is a factual representation of the British empire, you ignoramous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire
Original post by Azog 150
Britain's global domination was won on the back of its navy, not its army.

Not to badmouth the Redcoats of the time, they were highly disciplined and determined and man for man they were probably better then most of their contemporaries. However, the British Army lacked the size (And hence power) to really be considered the Greatest in History.

Pedantic white noise.

The OP refers to the armed forces combined.The British empire could not have been held without its army.

Size has nothing to do with an armies greatness **** for brains
(edited 12 years ago)
Imperial Japanese army were pretty damned ruthless and efficient.
Great thread!

In my view it's either Mongols or the army of Alexander the Great.

The British Empire's army and the modern American one are more powerful but let's talk about man for man.

Honourable mention goes to the old Roman army who, in one battle in England, numbered 10,000 and smashed up 100,000 Britons.

Still, Mongols and Alexander's army were fierce. A soldier from either can be on my team any day.
Original post by Sammydemon
Imperial Japanese army were pretty damned ruthless and efficient.

This topic is reagrding the best army, the Japanese do not come close so why are you mentioning them ?
This topic is reagrding the best army, the Japanese do not come close so why are you mentioning them ?

Their training and tactics were supreme, they were also unstoppably ruthless. The Americans only beat them on numbers and a certain large bomb.

Using guns to defeat armies wielding spears doesn't make an army great, no matter how many times it is done.

If the British army was so amazing in the colonial era, we'd have conquered Europe, not Africa.

France and Germany on the otherhand... well they both nearly did conquer Europe in their respective heydays...
Original post by Sammydemon
Their training and tactics were supreme, they were also unstoppably ruthless. The Americans only beat them on numbers and a certain large bomb.

Their tactics were not really supreme, they had huge advantages including fighting at home, the Americans were fighting thousands of miles away. And The Japanese managed to heavily fortify their positions. The Japanese did not fight an offensive front on the south Pacific.

For these reaosn, they do not come anywhere near the worlds best army in history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending