The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Essex Uni Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum1992
I'm really stuck between this place for History with a year abroad , ofr Queen's Belfast for Anthropology. Any advice lol?

what attracts you to both places? what do you want to do as a career?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Bathwiggle
well :tongue:

Dee has been arranged for ages and he knows this, he's probably forgotten this but..

I always was upfront about my life before we went out, and he's the one who ended it once, if he's buggering off to wales then i don't want to get too attached, if that makes sense.

Morning :biggrin:

I suppose it does indeed make sense :smile: LDRs are not that much fun, although the space is nice sometimes :yes:

You two doing much today?
Well I was one or 2 marks of an A* at History, I also got an A* at it at GCSE. I think Id do well at History at Essex

But I liked Belfast as a city , and it would be Social Anthropology I'd be doing there. But I've found out there's someone going there who I got .... a substantial amount of grief from since high school. I wouldn't want to go through it again

Personally I think both are relatively equal for the humanities. I'm just scared of making a mistake
Original post by paddy__power
I suppose it does indeed make sense :smile: LDRs are not that much fun, although the space is nice sometimes :yes:

You two doing much today?

lantana dee and i are going to my parents for sunday lunch, i've invited gary but he doesn't want to come, or he hasn't replied to my text yet. I like space, but i know the distance would exhaust me, and if i'm tired i'm not good company.

Well I was one or 2 marks of an A* at History, I also got an A* at it at GCSE. I think Id do well at History at Essex

But I liked Belfast as a city , and it would be Social Anthropology I'd be doing there. But I've found out there's someone going there who I got .... a substantial amount of grief from since high school. I wouldn't want to go through it again

Personally I think both are relatively equal for the humanities. I'm just scared of making a mistake

Is he doing the same course? otherwise you'll probably not see him much. Ignoring if they are equal or not, you preferred belfast campus? Just because you did well at Alevel, did you enjoy it?
Well basically my decision is being based around the following

Essex Advantages - Year Abroad
- I do ok at History
-Students seem to really enjoy it

Disadvantages - Colchester is quite small, the social side may be hampered. (Also please don't laugh, but I was hoping to find someone for like something long term)
- I'm unsure about its reputation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Belfast Advantages - Liked the Uni
- Certain of its reputation (Russel Group)
- Bigger Place

Disadvantages - Unsure on how I'd perform at Social Anthropology
- The guy going there. It'd be likely we'd be in the Halls for the first year, and I'm worried I'd never be able to settle as properly as I would in Essex because of it.

If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful. :smile:

- I do ok at History

Disadvantages - Colchester is quite small, the social side may be hampered. (Also please don't laugh, but I was hoping to find someone for like something long term)

- Bigger Place

- The guy going there. It'd be likely we'd be in the Halls for the first year, and I'm worried I'd never be able to settle as properly as I would in Essex because of it.

Which course do you prefer? This should guide your decision more.
lantana dee and i are going to my parents for sunday lunch, i've invited gary but he doesn't want to come, or he hasn't replied to my text yet. I like space, but i know the distance would exhaust me, and if i'm tired i'm not good company.

Is he doing the same course? otherwise you'll probably not see him much. Ignoring if they are equal or not, you preferred belfast campus? Just because you did well at Alevel, did you enjoy it?

Sounds good :smile:

I forgot how :facepalm2: X factor contestants are.
Sounds good :smile:

I forgot how :facepalm2: X factor contestants are.

I avoid x factor for a reason!
I avoid x factor for a reason!

It does occasionally remind me of sings I like though:

Anyone doing a Sport degree or know anything about sport at the Uni?
Reply 1630
I'm going to Essex with the full intention of getting a First Class Hons at university (biochemistry). What must I do?
Original post by Can't Touch This.
I'm going to Essex with the full intention of getting a First Class Hons at university (biochemistry). What must I do?

Get the grades, do the reading, do extra reading, and go in paul dobbins lectures, he'll give you the answers to the exams :biggrin:

It does occasionally remind me of sings I like though:

I don't like kate bush, but that might be my sister used to listen to her constantly..
Original post by Can't Touch This.

Some work. How much depends on how bright you are, your subject aptitude etc.
Get the grades, do the reading, do extra reading, and go in paul dobbins lectures, he'll give you the answers to the exams :biggrin:

I don't like kate bush, but that might be my sister used to listen to her constantly..

So your sister is cool after all :borat:
Original post by blair turgott

The latter I know a little about, depends what you want to know really.
So your sister is cool after all :borat:

you can have her then! :tongue:

Our thread has other people in it :frown:

- I do ok at History

- Bigger Place

Do you like the look of the content of the SA course? ignore the guy being there.

There is no promise you'll find a OH at uni where ever you go. This shouldn't be a factor... saying that, i wasn't short of offers so idk.

Although from what you're saying i think you sort of want essex
Original post by blair turgott

I had someshared modules with the sports science ppl
Reply 1636

Any books I need to read before university?

I resat my chemistry A-level as a private candidate and got a B, I feel disheartened, I worked so hard and still couldn't manage to get the A grade, how on earth will I be able to manage to get a first at Essex? I missed my offer from Leeds by one grade and when I went to the Essex open day, I didn't like it, and feel I'll hate the whole university experience, I'm now excited to go university anymore. I feel I've ruined my life/prospects.

So overall I know have BBC.

I find biochemistry interesting, but I haven't done enough of biochemistry to classify it as a 'passion'. I fear I won't be able to grasp the concepts/not enjoy it.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out of my chest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Which course do you prefer? This should guide your decision more.

I like them both equally really. Thats why I'm trying to decide based on these other factors
you can have her then! :tongue:

Our thread has other people in it :frown:

Do you like the look of the content of the SA course? ignore the guy being there.

There is no promise you'll find a OH at uni where ever you go. This shouldn't be a factor... saying that, i wasn't short of offers so idk.

Although from what you're saying i think you sort of want essex

I had someshared modules with the sports science ppl

I know. There is a question thread for questions FFS :rant:
I like them both equally really. Thats why I'm trying to decide based on these other factors

Well I can't help you as only you know how much each factor matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending